Vikings @ Lions ReFocused

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Vikings @ Lions ReFocused

Post by dead_poet »

Some nice nuggets here, per usual. I particularly liked the bit about Allen
They always say that when a team’s winning the quarterback gets more credit than they deserve and vice versa. Judging from all the chatter about Minnesota’s Christian Ponder leading up to this game you’d think he was the next coming of Tom Brady — maybe he is, but certainly not yet. No, this is a team that’s wining on the philosophy of solid defense, a strong running game and high quality special teams. All those facets came together here to make Ponder’s lackluster display (-0.8 ) in this game pretty much irrelevant.

In the last 16 regular season games they’ve played, Detroit have gone 6-10. They took a step forward initially last year but have stalled badly since. The biggest issue is a defensive line that can hold its own in the running game against average offensive lines, but when it comes up against a quality group (as it did here and against the 49ers) gets steamrolled. Good pass-blocking from the Lions’ own offensive line is also being squandered, not least because the skill positions have developed a penchant for dropping catches — 16 in total and seven in this game alone.

These are two teams currently going in different directions. However, both have strengths and weaknesses as you’ll see below.

Minnesota – Three Performances of Note

Building up Steam

Adrian Peterson (+2.6) may not be quite back to his best yet, but there were moments in this game he didn’t seem too far from it. He picked up his highest participation of the season so far, playing on 79% of the offensive snaps, and ran with great verve and no lack of movement. He never broke anything really significant, but it was his second effort that stood out. For example, with 3:45 to go in the third, he cut smoothly into the hole, accelerated through it and then dragged the middle linebacker for another four yards and the first down.

More good news is that of the 15 times he’s stayed into pass protect this year he’s given up nothing. Peterson has a habit of working on his weaknesses and, after having recently addressed issues with fumbling, it looks like this may be next on his list of things to cross off.

Holding the Line

Run defense against Detroit is a bit like filling your car up with gas; it’s really not much to worry about until it doesn’t get done. Jared Allen (+1.6) isn’t necessarily the person you see as taking the lead in this regard, but he understands better than most he can’t pin his ears back and get after the QB if he hasn’t done the hard grind first. Well in this game (+2.9 run defense grade) he certainly did that. He was never caught out of position and consistently got into the backfield to either disrupt the play or make the tackle.

In this game he made as good a play against the run as I’ve personally seen all year when, with 6:04 left in the second, he blew inside the tight end, was picked up by the pulling guard, shed him and made the tackle for a one-yard loss.

Short Underneath

If there was a deficiency in the Vikings anywhere, it was really in pass coverage at linebacker. Chad Greenway was his usual productive self, but Jasper Brinkley (-1.8 ) looked like a guy who was used to coming forward, not dropping back. He was often out of position, slow to react and overall he allowed six of eight passes into his area to be completed, for 59 yards, with 29 of those coming after the catch. He only played four snaps less in coverage in this game than he’s done in the entire season, as he filled in for the injured Erin Henderson. With Henderson likely back next week from concussion, it may be that the Vikings have ridden out the worst because Brinkley is a good run defender. If Henderson still can’t go though, expect the Titans to try and take advantage.

Game Notes

- Quietly, Harrison Smith is making his way up the defensive rookie of the year rankings. Zero yards allowed, two passes defensed and zero missed tackles is my view of what a safety is all about.

- Talk about caution. Christain Ponder’s average depth of target was 5.2 yards, even lower than his previous 30th-ranked 5.6 yards.

PFF Game Ball

The Vikings won because while they didn’t take many risks and they were able to move the ball on the ground, and that was due in large part to Adrian Peterson.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ns-week-4/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikings @ Lions ReFocused

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Short Underneath

If there was a deficiency in the Vikings anywhere, it was really in pass coverage at linebacker. Chad Greenway was his usual productive self, but Jasper Brinkley (-1.8 ) looked like a guy who was used to coming forward, not dropping back. He was often out of position, slow to react and overall he allowed six of eight passes into his area to be completed, for 59 yards, with 29 of those coming after the catch.
I'd really like to know when most of those passes were completed. Were they spread out over the whole game? Did a lot of them come late, when the Lions were throwing into the middle of the field and the Vikings were clearly willing to give up shorter stuff and allow the Lions to use up valuable time.
TheCoolerOne
Transition Player

Post by TheCoolerOne »

The stuff about Brinkley in that article is not nearly as glowing as what Pelissero had to say about him in his weekly tape breakdown. Odd.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

TheCoolerOne wrote:The stuff about Brinkley in that article is not nearly as glowing as what Pelissero had to say about him in his weekly tape breakdown. Odd.
That's why I made the comment above. As usual with PFF's analysis, I take it with a big grain of salt. They make some interesting observations and I enjoy reading their take on things but they're still just amateurs watching and grading games on TV. When they make a comment like...
Jasper Brinkley... was often out of position, slow to react and overall he allowed six of eight passes into his area to be completed, for 59 yards, with 29 of those coming after the catch
... I'm not sure how to interpret it without greater context and I don't know how much they know about Brinkley's responsibilities. When they say "in his area" does that mean they saw and understood his responsibilities in the zone or that Brinkley was the closest player to the play or the first to arrive and make/contribute to the tackle? They talk about Brinkley often being "out of position" but do they have a firm grasp of his where he's supposed to be on those plays? They might. I just don't know and consequently, I trust Pelissero a lot more when it comes to that sort of thing.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

- Talk about caution. Christain Ponder’s average depth of target was 5.2 yards, even lower than his previous 30th-ranked 5.6 yards.
I'm beginning to worry that the Vikings are trying to make things _too_ easy for Ponder. At some point they have to open it up more. When special teams or defense score all of the TDs in a game, as long as it results in a win, the lack of offense gets almost completely overlooked. Had the score been Lions 13-6, the post-game analysis of the offense would be 180 degrees different. You can argue that the Vikings were playing conservatively on offense to protect a lead, but scoring zero points on offense in the second half won't protect many leads in the NFL any more.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Mothman wrote:They make some interesting observations and I enjoy reading their take on things but they're still just amateurs watching and grading games on TV....

I trust Pelissero a lot more when it comes to that sort of thing.
I read both, but I'm not sure Pelissero is any less of an "amateur watching and grading games on TV". PFF watches far more teams than the Vikings and doesn't have any vested interest in making them look good/bad. I'm not saying Pelissero is biased, but I'd doubt he watches near as much tape.

Does Pelissero have any additional qualifications for judging responsibilities then the guys at PFF?(I honestly don't know, asking for more info here)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote: I'm beginning to worry that the Vikings are trying to make things _too_ easy for Ponder. At some point they have to open it up more.
They understand that, we understand that... I think everybody understands that but against the Lions, I think they were playing situational football and while it was admittedly conservative, it was also effective. I also don't think they're just protecting Ponder. I believe they're trying to play to the strengths of the offensive line as well.

But they do need to open it up more. I think they're working on it and hopefully we'll see them do it against the Titans.
When special teams or defense score all of the TDs in a game, as long as it results in a win, the lack of offense gets almost completely overlooked. Had the score been Lions 13-6, the post-game analysis of the offense would be 180 degrees different.
Yes, but that wasn't the score and as some of us have been saying in other threads, if the Vikings hadn't scored the 2 special teams TDs, they might have approached the game differently on offense and perhaps that would have led to more points. Then again, maybe not but we can play that sort of 'what if" game forever with as many outcomes as we'd like.
You can argue that the Vikings were playing conservatively on offense to protect a lead, but scoring zero points on offense in the second half won't protect many leads in the NFL any more.
No, it won't but it worked in this one, particular game. Scoring zero points in the second half isn't a trend. If it happens again next week, it will be much more worrisome.
Last edited by Mothman on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Crax wrote:I read both, but I'm not sure Pelissero is any less of an "amateur watching and grading games on TV". PFF watches far more teams than the Vikings and doesn't have any vested interest in making them look good/bad. I'm not saying Pelissero is biased, but I'd doubt he watches near as much tape.

Does Pelissero have any additional qualifications for judging responsibilities then the guys at PFF?(I honestly don't know, asking for more info here)
That's an excellent question. I don't know either but at the very least, he's a professional sportswriter who has been covering the NFL for years and he has access to the team and the coaches so he can gain insights about what was supposed to happen on plays from them. I think that gives him a leg up on the PFF guys.