Vikings Defense by the numbers

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Vikings Defense by the numbers

Post by dead_poet »

I think four weeks is enough to establish a baseline for this defense. So I present some factoids I gathered for your analysis. So far, things have improved almost across the board from a year ago. Progress.

Overall

• Vikings D has given up just two TDs in last 27 possessions.
• Currently rank 8th in total yards allowed/game (314). Leader is Houston at 273. Loser is New Orleans at 463! Last year the Vikings were 21st (358 YPG).
• Currently rank T-2 in yards allowed/play (4.6). Leader is San Francisco at 4.5. Last year the Vikings were 21st (5.6 YPP).
• Unfortunately the Vikings rank 25th in opponent third down success rate (43% compared to #1 Texans at a paltry 25%). Perhaps the biggest blemish thus far. Last season the Vikings were 30th in the league (44%). Progress of one full percentage point!
• Currently rank 8th in sustained defensive penalties (22) compared to the leading Panthers (13) and the worst team (Packers, 40!)
• 16th in points allowed/game (22.5). Surprisingly were 14th last year (21.2).

Pass Defense

• Currently rank 14th in passing yards allowed/game (228) compared to 251 a year ago (26th in the NFL). Cowboys lead at 169 YPG and Bucs are worst at 343 YPG
• Currently rank sixth in yards allowed per pass (6.5). Leader is Texans at 6.0 YPP. Losers are TB and NYG at 9.0 YPP. (One year ago the Vikings ranked 30th, 8.1 YPP)
• T-8 in passing touchdowns allowed (5). Leaders are Baltimore/St. Louis (2). Loser is Washington (11).
• T-25h in interceptions (1). Although this season the Vikings have their hands on a lot more than last year. However it's beyond frustrating that these passes hit them in the hands and they can't hold on. Seems to be a curse or something. Leader is Chicago with 11. Oakland and Detroit don't have any.
• Longest pass play given up has been 44 yards, which is T-5 in the league. Bears lead the league with only a 30-yard pass completion. Saints are at the bottom with an 88-yarder.
• Vikings are 9th in pass plays allowing 20 or more yards (9). Finished 2011 in 22nd place. Pitt leads (4). Tampa Bay has 23.
• Vikings are T-5 with only one play of 40 or more yards. Finished 2011 T-29 with a whopping 13.
• Vikings are T-7 in total sacks (12). Leader is Cincy (17). Loser is Jacksonville (2).
• T-16 in passes defended (24). Last year finished 31st with only 58. Leaders are Chicago/Philly with 34.

Rush Defense

• Vikings are T-5 in allowed YPC (3.3). Leader is Miami (2.4). Loser is CIncy at 5.4. Vikings were still relatively stout last year at 3.9 YPC (11th).
• Vikings are T-7 in total rush yards allowed per game (85.2). Leader is Miami (56.8 ). Loser is New Orleans (187). Vikings last year were 11th, allowing 107 rush YPG.
• T-2 in rush TDs allowed (1). Houston hasn't allowed any. Jets have allowed 7.
• #2 in longest runs given up (15-yarder). Miami is first with a 14-yard touchdown. New Orleans is last, allowing a 91 yard touchdown.
• T-7 in forced fumbles (4), recovering all of them. Atlanta and Buffalo lead with 7. St. Louis has 0.

Source: NFL.com
Last edited by dead_poet on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Re: Vikings Defense by the numbers

Post by NextQuestion »

Solid post. Way to go Vikings D!

If Harrison Smith had picked off that deep pass to Megatron we would have never had that Sherels punt return TD
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:• Unfortunately the Vikings rank 25th in opponent third down success rate (43% compared to #1 Texans at a paltry 25%). Perhaps the biggest blemish thus far.
I wonder how much of that is due to the first game or two. I seem to recall Jacksonville converting about 75% of their 3rd downs.
• 16h in points allowed/game (22.5). Surprisingly were 14th last year (21.2).

That is surprising!
• Currently rank sixth in yards allowed per pass (6.5). Leader is Texans at 6.0 YPP. Losers are TB and NYG at 9.0 YPP. (One year ago the Vikings ranked 30th, 8.1 YPP)
That's a big improvement!
• T-25h in interceptions (1). Although this season the Vikings have their hands on a lot more than last year. However it's beyond frustrating that these passes hit them in the hands and they can't hold on. Seems to be a curse or something. Leader is Chicago with 11. Oakland and Detroit don't have any.
It really is maddening. They need to start coming down with those. they could easily have 4 or 5 INTs at this point.

Overall, those numbers reveal improvement and they're pretty encouraging, especially because I think the defense has shown progress just over these first 4 games. Hopefully, they can keep it up.

Thanks for taking the time to find and post those numbers!
Last edited by Mothman on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

The one stat jumping out at me is passes defended. While it would be great to see INTs, the fact that the Vikings are nearly halfway to their total passes defended for all of last season after only four games is a great improvement!
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Harrison Smith has so far been a solid draft pick. Also, it is obvious that Raymond and even Sanford have greatly improved from last season. I think our Safeties are finally on the right track, just wish they’d get their hands on some of those picks to round out the package. Still, the trend is quite encouraging. This group was arguably the worst on the team last year. Wonderful improvement.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Good info Dead_Poet
Mothman wrote: I wonder how much of that is due to the first game or tow. I seem to recall Jacksonville converting about 75% of their 3rd down
I'm hoping that as well. We have a couple young guys in Smith and Robinson getting acclimated and I'm sure Cook was rusty as well. Couple games in and seems better than the 1st two games.
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

Crax wrote:Good info Dead_Poet I'm hoping that as well. We have a couple young guys in Smith and Robinson getting acclimated and I'm sure Cook was rusty as well. Couple games in and seems better than the 1st two games.
Jaguars- 9/18 [50%]
Colts- 7/16 [43.7%]
49ers- 4/10 [40%]
Lions- 6/16 [37.5%]

It's definitely headed in the right direction.
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Juice wrote:Jaguars- 9/18 [50%]
Colts- 7/16 [43.7%]
49ers- 4/10 [40%]
Lions- 6/16 [37.5%]

Cool. Thanks for that info!
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote: Cool. Thanks for that info!
A good trend to be setting!

I do think the Bend but don't break gets some leeway in this stat though, compared to other, more aggressive defenses like houston's 3-4. For example, if an offense has to convert 4 3rd down's on a drive, and we get off the field 57% of the time, odds are they shouldn't be getting a TD.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

dead_poet wrote:• 16th in points allowed/game (22.5). Surprisingly were 14th last year (21.2).
Actually the defense is tied for 7th with 18 points per game. The offense(?) has scored 22.5 points per game.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

All we need is Smith to get an interception!
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Juice wrote: Jaguars- 9/18 [50%]
Colts- 7/16 [43.7%]
49ers- 4/10 [40%]
Lions- 6/16 [37.5%]

It most certainly is. Thanks for that.

Overall, looking at the stats, it appears to me that the Vikings D, not unlike the offense, is still a work in progress. But there IS progress.