Is this weeks game against Tenn a trap game?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

radar55
All Pro Elite Player

Is this weeks game against Tenn a trap game?

Post by radar55 »

On paper, this weeks game aginst Tenn "should" net the Vikings another win and put them at 4-1 BUT.......as we have all ready seen via our game against San Fran, a victory in the NFL requires the game to be played and so far this year the best team on paper does not always win. I wish I could be confident in predicting a win (I THINK WE WILL) but quite honestly... I just dont know which Vikings team will show up Sunday.

Will it be the one that started the year looking lost on both sides of the ball or the one that has many so called experts touting the Vikings revival and Ponders consistent play. This is one of those games that after 2 excellent wins could end up being a "trap" game if they dont take Tenn seriously.

We need the offense to come out aggressively with their first possession and for the defense to do the same. We need to set the tone of the game from the opening kick off and if we do that, I believe we will be fine but........if we allow Tenn to stick around and keep it close...........it might come down to another game like the first 2 weeks where the last possession wins.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Is this weeks game against Tenn a trap game?

Post by HornedMessiah »

It was always my understanding that a "trap game" was where you faced a perceived lesser team one week and then a strong team the next game. Team gets all worked up about the "big game" down the road and doesn't focus enough on the current opponent and loses. So no I don't think it's a trap game because I don't see why the Vikes would be overly concerned or psyched up for the Redskins in week 6.
PurpleJarl
Starter

Post by PurpleJarl »

I could see this only from the stand point of people worry about containing RG3 before they need to. I guess I see the Titans as a likely win due to the Momentum we have right now, If they can come out and play with the level of intensity (on D) that they have been playing with for the last couple of weeks I think I will be giving Frazier my pass for next year. IMO thats what the Vikings havent shown me in a long time. The ability to dominate "lesser" opponents like very good football teams can and also to carry momentum into games.
admvp
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by admvp »

It is my philosophy that there are no trap games in the NFL. They are all professionals, and any team can't beat any team on any given Sunday. I find it hard to believe that any NFL team, no matter how good, could ever overlook an opponent, much less our Vikings, who, to many, are no more than a cute story right now. We aren't even good enough to make the mistake of taking someone for granted.

So no, I don't think it's a trap game.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I can see the Vikings being a little excited by their fast start, and this is new territory for many of them. This will be a great test for Coach Frasier, etc., to see if they can get the players to keep their heads on straight for sure. I could see this being a trap game.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Sutsgold
Starter

Post by Sutsgold »

The vikes are still trying to prove that they are a decent team so I do not see this as a trap game.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

I think this would be more a letdown game. One of those infamous Vikings "play down to the level of your competition" things.

I still think we should handily beat the Titans at home by 10+ if we just beat the 49ers at home 24/13 and the Lions on the road 20/13.

We won't see a game where our DST will get 2 touchdowns almost immediately (maybe) and Jerome Simpson should have a breakout game.
vikesfan87
All Pro Elite Player

Post by vikesfan87 »

I didn't think that the Vikings were at the point yet where they could call anything a trap game.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Looks like Matt "We want the ball and we're gonna score" Hasselbeck is going to be the QB. Actually more nervous about facing him than Locker.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... er-injury/
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

I know, me too. But we should be able to handle him.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Titans offense is slow and their D is horrible. For fantasy football sake...I would like Harvin to get an offensive TD for once
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

vikesfan87 wrote:I didn't think that the Vikings were at the point yet where they could call anything a trap game.
I agree, you also get the sense that this coaching staff is not getting ahead of itself. Pure speculation of course.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Somebody was bound to post it. :o
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:Somebody was bound to post it. :o
Damn! Beat me to it.

The Titans line is pretty awful and Chris Johnson has been bad for a while now (although he had a good game last week). Still, this is a team that put up 44 points on the Lions so I wouldn't take them too lightly.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

S197 wrote: Damn! Beat me to it.

The Titans line is pretty awful and Chris Johnson has been bad for a while now (although he had a good game last week). Still, this is a team that put up 44 points on the Lions so I wouldn't take them too lightly.
And we can throw that right back at the Titans because the Lions also put up 41 on them while they could only get a measly 13 against us while it was a home game for them.

Being this is a home game for us I think our chances are pretty good.