The 2012 Vikings are a Super Bowl team

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: The 2012 Vikings are a Super Bowl team

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Look, I'm as thrilled as anybody about how the Vikings are playing right now.

But we're not that team.

2000 Ravens -- Absolutely dominating defense. Top 5 in NFL history. 8-8 the previous season.
2001 Patriots -- Probably your best example because they were 5-11 the previous season and showed few signs of life early in the season. One thing about this team ... they had a lot of breaks along the way. But for the ridiculous tuck rule -- let's face it, Brady dropped that ball -- perhaps Brady becomes known for choking rather than heroism.
2005 Steelers -- Very poor example. For one thing, they were 15-1 the previous season, so it was hardly a surprise that they had the talent to win the SB. In addition, they had a phenomenal defense (and for the record, they should have lost the Super Bowl).
2007 Giants -- This was a pretty good team all along. The team was expected to be playoff caliber, played poorly, then got hot. They also --once again -- had a phenomenal defense, with a ferocious pass rush. They were 8-8 the previous season.
2009 Jets -- Were supposed to win the Super Bowl. Just ask Rex Ryan. Were 9-7 the previous season.
2009 Cardinals -- This team came out of nowhere in the playoffs, but they were 8-8 the previous season and played in an incredibly weak division.
2010 Packers -- Picked by many to win the Super Bowl. May not have had the stellar regular-season record, but a lot of people picked them prior to the season. They had been 11-5 the previous season.
2011 Giants -- Again, characterized by a pretty good defense. Also, they're led by a Hall-of-Fame quarterback. Say what you want about Eli, he's been money in the postseason. Were 10-6 the previous year.

We were 3-13 last year. None of the teams you mention were losers the previous year except for New England in 2001.

A lot of things are going well. But we still have obvious weaknesses, and while our defense is better, it's nowhere near the caliber of most of the teams you mentioned.

By the way, I'd be happy to be wrong.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

Did anyone notice how we've been playing bad against bad teams, and good against good teams? I wonder if that's just because we were on our a-game against the good teams, or somehow playing against good teams elevates us to a higher level. If we keep playing this way and we make it to the playoffs, we should be able to make it at least another round in the playoffs. Not saying they will make it to the playoffs this year (but they have a chance) but maybe in a couple years. Just remember though, the 2nd half of our schedule is very tough.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

LOL
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Look, I'm as thrilled as anybody about how the Vikings are playing right now.

But we're not that team.

2000 Ravens -- Absolutely dominating defense. Top 5 in NFL history. 8-8 the previous season.
2001 Patriots -- Probably your best example because they were 5-11 the previous season and showed few signs of life early in the season. One thing about this team ... they had a lot of breaks along the way. But for the ridiculous tuck rule -- let's face it, Brady dropped that ball -- perhaps Brady becomes known for choking rather than heroism.
2005 Steelers -- Very poor example. For one thing, they were 15-1 the previous season, so it was hardly a surprise that they had the talent to win the SB. In addition, they had a phenomenal defense (and for the record, they should have lost the Super Bowl).
2007 Giants -- This was a pretty good team all along. The team was expected to be playoff caliber, played poorly, then got hot. They also --once again -- had a phenomenal defense, with a ferocious pass rush. They were 8-8 the previous season.
2009 Jets -- Were supposed to win the Super Bowl. Just ask Rex Ryan. Were 9-7 the previous season.
2009 Cardinals -- This team came out of nowhere in the playoffs, but they were 8-8 the previous season and played in an incredibly weak division.
2010 Packers -- Picked by many to win the Super Bowl. May not have had the stellar regular-season record, but a lot of people picked them prior to the season. They had been 11-5 the previous season.
2011 Giants -- Again, characterized by a pretty good defense. Also, they're led by a Hall-of-Fame quarterback. Say what you want about Eli, he's been money in the postseason. Were 10-6 the previous year.

We were 3-13 last year. None of the teams you mention were losers the previous year except for New England in 2001.

A lot of things are going well. But we still have obvious weaknesses, and while our defense is better, it's nowhere near the caliber of most of the teams you mentioned.

By the way, I'd be happy to be wrong.
Go back one more year - 1999 (Rams). They went 13-3 en route to the Super Bowl. In 98 they were 4-12. The "Greatest Show on Turf" put up considerably more offense than our Vikes so it's still not an accurate comparison, but I pointed it out because no one expected the 99 Rams to go anywhere when the season began.

Now, having said that: I can't bring myself to say the Vikings can't do it, but I will say that we only have 25% of the season complete. To assume we can/will maintain this level of success is a bit presumptuous. It's tantamount to declaring victory for a game after finishing the 1st quarter with a 3 point lead. Could we make it to the playoffs and a Super Bowl? Sure. So could the Browns at this point. Let's celebrate our "1st quarter lead." By all means, lets consider the possibility we just might make it to a Super Bowl this year. But let's not lose sight of the fact we are a "rebuilding team" and that a short term success is not necessarily an indicator that we have completed our project. It's far more likely this is an indicator of our improvement which may not translate into playoff appearances until a year or two yet into the future.
Last edited by Just Me on Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

FWIW, which is not much at this point. The Vikings are currently the 3rd seed in the NFC.....whoopie! Now let's see if they can keep it or improve on it.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Sutsgold
Starter

Post by Sutsgold »

Not a chance. Better than I was hoping for, but not even a playoff team yet. Lets see what they do vs Chicago, Green Bay, Washington and Arizona. If they win 3 of those 4 games before December Im in.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Sutsgold wrote:Not a chance. Better than I was hoping for, but not even a playoff team yet. Lets see what they do vs Chicago, Green Bay, Washington and Arizona. If they win 3 of those 4 games before December Im in.
Chicago looked awfully good last night. Those are going to be tough games....
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Just Me wrote: Chicago looked awfully good last night. Those are going to be tough games....
Their defense is playing great this season... I'm looking forward to seeing how the Vikes play them when they finally face off in November.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

I'm not buying stock in the Arizona scene yet. Some pretty impressive wins but I think the Vikings are a pretty even match. Both slow on offense but turn it on at the right point.

RG3 scares me but we seem to turn it on when we play mobile QBs (Vick 2010, Newton 2011)
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I do not think we are there yet either. I do think we are close and as Kapp said, I'd be happy to be wrong.

The Bears will be tough if their defensive playmakers can stay healthy. If one of Peppers/Urlacher/Briggs gets hurt then all the pressure is on Cuter and he has shown he doesn't take it well. I'm not sold on them, of course, I never am. Their OL is really, really bad. I think we pose match up issues for them with our front 7. Of course, our O also will need to perform in those games as their ST are top notch.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:I do not think we are there yet either. I do think we are close and as Kapp said, I'd be happy to be wrong.

The Bears will be tough if their defensive playmakers can stay healthy. If one of Peppers/Urlacher/Briggs gets hurt then all the pressure is on Cuter and he has shown he doesn't take it well. I'm not sold on them, of course, I never am. Their OL is really, really bad..
Their OL played okay last night but it's the weak point of the team and think that group has more to do with how Cutler handles himself than anything else. Cutler has taken an absolute beating since coming to Chicago. He seems able to handle the mental pressure of the game when he doesn't have to face so much physical pressure from opposing defenses.

At this point, I'm as sold on the Bears as any team in the NFC. I can't think of a team in the conference that looks dominant week after week and consequently, the Bears seem as good as anybody else in the NFC. When they're on their game like they were last night, they look Super Bowl-caliber. When they're off it as they were in Green Bay (at least on offense) they barely look like a .500 team. As long as they stay healthy at key positions, I expect them to be a serious contender for the division title. Hopefully, the Vikes will be too. :)
I think we pose match up issues for them with our front 7. Of course, our O also will need to perform in those games as their ST are top notch

Their defense is pretty scary too. They have 15 sacks, 11 INTs, 3 fumble recoveries and 3 defensive TDs after just 4 games. Yikes!
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

I think (unless I missed your point) you are referring to the fact that wildcard teams (lower seeded ones at that) have been getting to the Super Bowl more often than people would predict. Is that the main thrust of your point?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

They're going to need a lot more of Ponder and the passing game before I can take this seriously.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Mothman wrote: Their defense is pretty scary too. They have 15 sacks, 11 INTs, 3 fumble recoveries and 3 defensive TDs after just 4 games. Yikes!
I think Ponder is coming along well with his improvement, but I could actually see him having a VERY BAD day against that defense. They are fun/scary to watch.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Just Me wrote: I think Ponder is coming along well with his improvement, but I could actually see him having a VERY BAD day against that defense. They are fun/scary to watch.
Whats makes you think hes coming along well? Because hes a good 'game manager'? Thats what they called Tjoke too. I havent really seen alot from Ponder to change my mind about him. It will take more then a couple PI calls, and a nice leaping catch by Simpson. But at least he hasnt thrown that sideline INT recently, or fumbled.