Why are the Vikings suddenly "winners"?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

What change jumps out at you the most?

New offensive line is finally working
19%
First year defensive coordinator, Alan Williams is making it work
19%
The Colts was our rock bottom, and something just clicked mentally team-wide
3%
Bill Musgrave's playcalling
3%
Adrian Peterson shook off the ring rust
7%
Christian Ponder's ascension
19%
Leslie Frazier's coaching and leadership
5%
Spielman built a team ready sooner than we thought
7%
You don't see changes, just other team's implosions
4%
Other
14%

Total votes: 73

CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Why are the Vikings suddenly "winners"?

Post by CalVike »

Some Musgrave tongue-in-cheek comments per PA of KFAN:

http://www.kfan.com/pages/psn_paulallen.html
OC BILL MUSGRAVE heard some reaction on the 'FAN last week regarding our lack of deep game and/or attempts to get it deep. He went to teasing me saying stuff like "Obviously we are so lucky to even win a game given we never go down the field." He was serious, too, and not super happy Rubes were not seeing the big picture.
More at the link.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

managing the game, running the ball, and playing good defense. I just described the niners too. :confused:
beardedterror
All Pro Elite Player

Post by beardedterror »

FailedtoOpen wrote: Then someone stole your post and put it on another message board. http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/what- ... -466481823 That's the link if you is interested.
:confused: I'm flattered. Apparently I have fans. :lol: Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

S197 wrote: I agree, he has done a lot right this season but as you mention he does need to improve in a few key areas. To me, he's about average right now if I had to give him some sort of score. If he improves in the redzone and starts to stretch the field a little more, I'm sure the articles will follow.

I agree that not closing on offense last Sunday was aggravating and will need to change if the Vikings wish to get to the playoffs, let alone win a game. I think part of my jubilation is that this talent/matchup based style is so far and away different than what we saw under Childress. It actually feels like there is some creativity going on in the coaches office for a change.

On a more serious/sober note: The Lions were able to take away our Harvin and Rudolph game in the passing attack. The NFL is a meat grinder, so the question is how will Musgrave and Co. respond or have they been exposed?
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:On a more serious/sober note: The Lions were able to take away our Harvin and Rudolph game in the passing attack. The NFL is a meat grinder, so the question is how will Musgrave and Co. respond or have they been exposed?
We saw a few ways they responded: Simpson was targeted at least 6 times (his 4 catches plus the 2 PI calls) and Peterson caught 4 passes in addition to his 21 carries.

If defenses continue to focus on Harvin I think we'll see Simpson get more and more involved and if they take rudolph away, I think we'll probably see more passes to the backs as well (or perhaps to Carlson the Invisible if they're in 2 TE sets).

Regarding their inability to finish drives; when they get into the red zone, particularly inside the 15, I think they need to be a little more willing to throw into the end zone on 1st and 2nd down. I also think Musgrave gets too cute with Harvin in that part of the field at times. For the second time this year, the Vikes tried using Percy as an RB in the red zone and while I have nothing but admiration for Harvin's toughness and he can be an effective runner out of the backfield, they have a much better chance of picking up tough red zone yardage on the ground with Peterson. If anybody is carrying the ball inside the 15 yard line, it should be AD. If he can't, it should probably be Gerhart. Percy can break tackles but I think they need a more powerful runner in those situations.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I thought this was pertinent to the discussion. From Wiederer's Chat OT column.

Question 7: Has anyone ever done an analysis of fundamentally sound football versus having better skills players? Can a case be made that intelligent, fundamentally sound play is more important than having better skill players?
I know of no study or in-depth analysis that has been done to differentiate the value of having superb talent versus having fundamentally sound play. But I can tell you that this is the grand experiment being conducted at Winter Park under Leslie Frazier and Rick Spielman.

That is not to say that the Vikings are averse to having very talented football players on their team. Look at the current roster and all the talent – from Peterson to Jared Allen to Harvin to Greenway to Kevin Williams to Winfield to Matt Kalil … I could go on and on. That’s a ton of premier talent.

But here’s the deal going forward: Frazier and Spielman are really, really trying to find intelligent and disciplined football players who are not only fundamentally sound but also are incredibly dedicated to getting better. Again, it sounds obvious. But sometimes it’s those guys who put forth more time and investment into mastering their roles that spark the big NFL run faster than the guys with all the talent and athleticism but without the super savvy and work ethic.

So this is the Frazier-Spielman vision – to catalyze their rebuilding effort with good players who won’t make costly mental mistakes and who are dedicated enough to study more and dial in every week. They believe and I agree that that kind of thing becomes contagious. And it’s at least one small reason they’re off to this 3-1 start.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:I thought this was pertinent to the discussion. From Wiederer's Chat OT column.

Question 7: Has anyone ever done an analysis of fundamentally sound football versus having better skills players? Can a case be made that intelligent, fundamentally sound play is more important than having better skill players?
It sounds like a great vision to me. They talked about that this offseason too and it's one of the reasons I've been more than willing to buy into what they're trying to do, keep an open mind and give them a chance. Put simply, their approach makes sense. They obviously need players with enough talent but they'll be a better team if they can fin talented players who also buy into their philosophy and work hard within the team concept.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

An interest subtext to this: The Bears performance on Monday Night defensively shows that the Tampa 2 can work if you have guys who are capable of running it.

I think they use Harvin out of the backfield as a wrinkle to keep the defense on their toes, however if you are referring to the play I think you are, then you are totally correct. I thought it was a terrible call and poor play design. I just chalked it up to "trying stuff" and was happy to see them do that even though it didn't work. It is good to see them tossing new wrinkles in, so I figure take it with a grain of salt. So far it hasn't been like the "Blazer" fiasco last year where we would keep seeing and keep seeing it fail.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:An interest subtext to this: The Bears performance on Monday Night defensively shows that the Tampa 2 can work if you have guys who are capable of running it.
That's a good point and even the Vikings last two performances show the value of that defensive approach when it's executed properly. However, that Bears defense showed on Monday (and has been showing most of this season) just how good a defense can look using this philosophy. personnel and execution count for a lot.
I think they use Harvin out of the backfield as a wrinkle to keep the defense on their toes, however if you are referring to the play I think you are, then you are totally correct.
The play i was referring to in the Detroit game was the direct snap to Harvin, which followed an excellent use of Harvin out of the backfield where he gained great yardage to move the Vikes from outside the 20 to approximately the 10 yard line.Is that the play you'e thinking about? I like the previous play wrinkle but going right back to Harvin in the backfield on the next play, in the red zone, was a terrible call. The defense had just been alerted to the danger he represents in the backfield and lining him up to take the snap on what amounts to a gimmick play didn't fool anybody. The Lions easily snuffed it out.

At least the Vikes got the play on film so maybe they can trot it out in a better situation later in the season and fool somebody by doing something different with it.
I thought it was a terrible call and poor play design. I just chalked it up to "trying stuff" and was happy to see them do that even though it didn't work. It is good to see them tossing new wrinkles in, so I figure take it with a grain of salt. So far it hasn't been like the "Blazer" fiasco last year where we would keep seeing and keep seeing it fail.
I don't mind them trying new wrinkles either. That's a good thing. I just thought it was a bad situational call and I think, in general, that running Harvin inside the 10 gives the Vikes considerably less chance to score than running Peterson inside the 10.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

That was the one. The way it was designed there was basically nothing they could do except run Harvin which, In my arm chair coordinator opinion, makes it way too easy to defend. Maybe Harvin has a gun for an arm that nobody knows about yet, otherwise, seems silly.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:That was the one. The way it was designed there was basically nothing they could do except run Harvin which, In my arm chair coordinator opinion, makes it way too easy to defend. Maybe Harvin has a gun for an arm that nobody knows about yet, otherwise, seems silly.
Ponder was lined up in the backfield too so they could have snapped the ball to him and then thrown it (or, as you're saying, it's possible that Harvin could throw it) but defensively, I imagine the Lions took one look at that formation and thought "it's a run to Harvin".
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote: Ponder was lined up in the backfield too so they could have snapped the ball to him and then thrown it (or, as you're saying, it's possible that Harvin could throw it) but defensively, I imagine the Lions took one look at that formation and thought "it's a run to Harvin".
Yeah, something like that probably won't be successful if you just go with the obvious tactic. Had they done it once before and Harvin or Ponder threw it for a big gain it might make the defense a little more honest on the back end.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote: Ponder was lined up in the backfield too so they could have snapped the ball to him and then thrown it (or, as you're saying, it's possible that Harvin could throw it) but defensively, I imagine the Lions took one look at that formation and thought "it's a run to Harvin".
I'd be curious to know what other skill players were in on that play. I think it was Gerhart at wideout, I'm not sure if Rudolph or Simpson were in, I would assume at least one of them were. But as you mention and as I stated in the game thread, I doubt the defense had any trouble dissecting that play.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Podcast with Seifert talking about the Vikings and their success to date:

ESPN.com bloggers Kevin Seifert and Mike Sando talk about two surprising teams and the shocking reasons for their success. Plus, they talk about what the Jets should do at QB.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8457749
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

i predict ponder is going to have a reception this season. it might not be amazing...but it will happen. :D
i'm ready for a beer.