Why are the Vikings suddenly "winners"?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

What change jumps out at you the most?

New offensive line is finally working
19%
First year defensive coordinator, Alan Williams is making it work
19%
The Colts was our rock bottom, and something just clicked mentally team-wide
3%
Bill Musgrave's playcalling
3%
Adrian Peterson shook off the ring rust
7%
Christian Ponder's ascension
19%
Leslie Frazier's coaching and leadership
5%
Spielman built a team ready sooner than we thought
7%
You don't see changes, just other team's implosions
4%
Other
14%

Total votes: 73

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Why are the Vikings suddenly "winners"?

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

vikeinmontana wrote: i predict ponder is going to have a reception this season. it might not be amazing...but it will happen. :D
Hmm was that Favre that threw a tipped ball back to himself for a td as a Vike? Or Johnson maybe? hmm
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

brad johnson. :lol:

i hope it's not that unorthodox! i'd like to see percy in the shotgun and ponder out wide just like last week. but one of these times get him the ball and let him run. it's not old school. it's not traditional. but it's fun! :rock:
i'm ready for a beer.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Hmm was that Favre that threw a tipped ball back to himself for a td as a Vike? Or Johnson maybe? hmm
It was definitely Brad Johnson. I've just checked... against the Panthers in 1997.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

vikeinmontana wrote:i predict ponder is going to have a reception this season. it might not be amazing...but it will happen.
I predict Percy Harvin will have at least one TD each: kick returning, rushing, receiving and passing.

The trouble with the direct snap play to Harvin is that they did exactly the same thing they did last year every time they ran that stupid Joe Webb wildcat: he just tucked the ball and ran, without even looking like he might pass. Big surprise.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Eli wrote: I predict Percy Harvin will have at least one TD each: kick returning, rushing, receiving and passing.

The trouble with the direct snap play to Harvin is that they did exactly the same thing they did last year every time they ran that stupid Joe Webb wildcat: he just tucked the ball and ran, without even looking like he might pass. Big surprise.
i agree. which is why i think even one time passing would be enough to make opposing defenses think twice. and ponder is athletic enough to turn it up field. and before i get blasted i'm not suggesting doing this often or that ponder is some athletic gift that is a threat to score a td everytime he touches the ball. but i do think if he has space he could get us 10-15 yards and a first down and add another wrinkle in our offense. i think we'll see it at some point. :smilevike:
i'm ready for a beer.
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

Feel this article fits with the topic.
Simplifying things paying dividends for Vikings D

“We just stopped trying to make a call for everything,” Williams said, via Tom Pelissero of 1500ESPN.com. “The defensive front has been successful the last few years. We didn’t do a lot of trick ‘em stuff. We just lined up and went after people, and that’s basically what we were trying to get ‘em to do.

After the loss to the Colts, Williams and Allen went to defensive coordinator Alan Williams and defensive line coach Brendan Daly with the suggestion. Since then, they had five sacks against the Lions, and three against the 49ers, without much blitzing
More at the link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... vikings-d/
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Juice wrote:Feel this article fits with the topic. More at the link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... vikings-d/
Worth the read. Good stuff here.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

maljanftballfan
Waterboy

Post by maljanftballfan »

dead_poet wrote: Simple. Because Adrian Peterson isn't human. :o

But in all seriousness, they aren't the same injuries. Players have come back from AD's type of injury and had productive careers. Childs ruptured his patellar tendon — in both knees. I don't think anyone who has had this type of freak injury (it's very uncommon) has ever come back to play another down. The only player that even attempted was Gary Baxter, a former Browns cornerback. And while he came back for training camp, he never played another snap (and he was a "rising star" type of player signing a six-year, $30 million contract with Cleveland in 2005). I hate to be Debbie Downer here, but the chances Childs ever suits up again are incredibly slim. But perhaps with some advancements in medicine coupled with the right attitude and support system he could give it another chance. He's young, which certainly helps. But it's an unfortunate situation all around. I was very anxious to see what he could've done here.
I agree. This injury is of a whole new level of seriousness. His youth definitely is a positive factor in his rehabilitation. I was very anxious to see what he could've done here also. But on a more positive note, GO VIKINGS!l
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Guess which team is Ranked 13 after 4 weeks into the season? The love for Green Bay still continues (probably in deference to the loss against Seattle that wasn't) but I still think the Bears should be above the Packers even if both were 3-1. Time will tell...
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

The thing that sticks out to me now that I have read articles, thought about games, rewatched segments of them, is how much pressure our D line and even just our front 4 are getting. Lots of hurries, hits and 7 sacks from them. Really takes the pressure off our secondary and linebackers in coverage to see the Vikings get that much pressure with just 4 man looks.

The best examples of this are the 49ers but especially the Lions game.

Edit: I don't see why the Packers are a top 5 team (5) when they've gone 3-4 in their last 7 games and needed a ton of charity to beat a quite frankly one dimensional and poor Saints team at home. The also lost by 8 points to a team their NFC North rivals, the Minnesota Vikings, defeated rather handily. Green Bay also
has a mediocre offensive line that has allowed 18 sacks in their last 4 games and along with overall lack of talent is why the Packers have such piss poor production from their running backs. Top 5, I wouldn't even say they are the best team in their division right now.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Hunter Morrow wrote:The thing that sticks out to me now that I have read articles, thought about games, rewatched segments of them, is how much pressure our D line and even just our front 4 are getting. Lots of hurries, hits and 7 sacks from them. Really takes the pressure off our secondary and linebackers in coverage to see the Vikings get that much pressure with just 4 man looks.

The best examples of this are the 49ers but especially the Lions game.

Edit: I don't see why the Packers are a top 5 team (5) when they've gone 3-4 in their last 7 games and needed a ton of charity to beat a quite frankly one dimensional and poor Saints team at home. The also lost by 8 points to a team their NFC North rivals, the Minnesota Vikings, defeated rather handily. Green Bay also
has a mediocre offensive line that has allowed 18 sacks in their last 4 games and along with overall lack of talent is why the Packers have such piss poor production from their running backs. Top 5, I wouldn't even say they are the best team in their division right now.
Wait until the Colts beat them on Sunday. Then they will drop. :D
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Thought this is appropriate to put here.

Healthy roster among wealth of good fortune for 4-1 Vikings

A number of teams have been hit hard by injuries, but the Vikings have been spared.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... ml?refer=y
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
bigskyeric
All Pro Elite Player

Post by bigskyeric »

I chose the Spielman answer.... but really. Here is my reasoning. Moral was low after 09. That season was a sucker punch to the nutz. Older players didn't care as much. Newer players follow the lead of the Veterans. Then this offseason brought hope. New stadium, new top tier rookies. A quarterback who has proven in both Highschool/college/and now the NFL that his Freshmen season should be no indicator of how he'll play in his Sophomore season. .... Attitudes changed. Smiles were once again seen in the locker room. Real smiles. Smiles from Men who knew they had a real shot. Underdogs in a Division that didn't favor them. They were the team the media viewed as basement dwellars. High Fives ensued. Echos of "lets prove them wrong" were heard....... The Minnesota Vikings, The cinderella story of the 2012 season has begun. Skol.
Seek and Destroy