Banks: Turnaround Vikes a shocker

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Banks: Turnaround Vikes a shocker

Post by Mothman »

SI's Don Banks shows the Vikes a little love:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... index.html
canadaviking08
Franchise Player

Re: Banks: Turnaround Vikes a shocker

Post by canadaviking08 »

Mothman wrote:SI's Don Banks shows the Vikes a little love:

Nice little article to read. Who would have thunk it we would be reading such articles about the vikes after week 4 lol...I am telling you, i hate mondays not only because the Vikes usually lost but also coming in to work but today is so sweet :rock:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I'll piggyback with some analysis from Billick.

Brian Billick saw the team lose to the Colts and wasn't impressed. Two games since have altered his viewpoint.
"You can't dismiss the Viking win against San Francisco," he said. "Look what San Francisco did on the road against [the] New York [Jets], so that validates even more how good the Vikings are.

"Then going on the road in the division, that's hard to do, to win the way they did against Detroit. I think these last two weeks should remove anybody's doubt that the Vikings are for real. They aren't there yet; they obviously have some tough games. But I think the schedule plays out well for them, and they've proven they're for real these last two games."

Billick added: "I think they can certainly compete in the division, and they have some nice separation now with what Green Bay is doing. They're as solid a team as I've seen. Yeah, it's hard to explain looking back on that Colt game. That's just a totally different team from the one that beat San Francisco and this one."
More at the link.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... ml?refer=y
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Hate to sound cynical, but the Vikes are only 1 game better than I had them pegged at this point before the season. While the beating the Niners at all, let alone in the fashion they did, was both shocking and encouraging to me, I'm still not ready crown them or anything as teams get out to fast starts every year then do nothing in the 2nd half.

Plus it's the Vikings, their history has driven us to be cynical/pessimistic. They always lose a game they shouldn't (already did that this year with Indy game).

Looking at the schedule, every game from here to the BYE is winnable. I think they should/will be 7-3 heading into it. 9-1 would be amazing, but its unlikely. 5-5 or worse would be disappointing based on where we are right now, but if you told me we'd be 5-5 going into the BYE last month I'd take it because that's better than I expected.
I don't think you sound cynical. The Vikings need to go out and prove themselves every week. I'm truly enjoying their two game winning streak and 3-1 start but it's just a start. It's way too early to crown anybody or even to determine which teams will still be in the playoff picture 10 weeks from now. The Vikes just need to keep taking it one game at a time and build on what they've started.
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

That was a great article, I'm glad were getting some recognition
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Plus it's the Vikings, their history has driven us to be cynical/pessimistic. They always lose a game they shouldn't (already did that this year with Indy game).
You're exactly right and I don't think you're being cynical saying this. Historically, the Vikings have been heartbreakers. Right now what amazes me most is that the team has already won as many games in September as they did all last year. I'm just looking for improvement from this team and they're showing it in their effort.

The bottom line is the Vikings have to keep playing hard and finding ways to win. Can they do it? Probably not every single week. But I'll still take the improvement and I really believe this is a better team than last year's version. Hopefully, Spielman's vision of a smarter, younger, and more athletically inclined team is taking shape.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:SI's Don Banks shows the Vikes a little love:

I love this article and the fact that people such as Brian Billick are taking notice.

It's always cool when the Vikings earn some respect. 8)
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

The thing that tempers any enthusiasm is that the Vikings are a young rebuilding team, and if there is one overarching theme for this season, it is inconsistent. They sure have looked good and encouraging the past two weeks, but expecting that to continue as an upward, or even a plateau trend would be asking and expecting a lot.

What was great to see was the TEAM hold together.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The one thing I think we can say against the whole "young" statement is how composed this team has been the past two weeks. Minimal penalties. I think that was a significant take away for them that the coaches emphasized afterthe Indy game. They have really cleaned it up, both against a superior opponent and on the road.

I'm sure there will be bumps in the road, but the above is very impressive for such a young club, at least IMO.

Not trying to directly attack you, I think your comment is very relevent, I just also think the team and coaching deserves credit here, they've really cleaned it up.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi