Vikes/Lions post-game thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Vikes/Lions post-game thoughts

Post by Mothman »

This was a great win for the Vikings. They broke their losing streak within the division, put together back-to-back wins for the first time in a long time, and after just 1/4 of the season, they've already equaled their win total from 2011 and secured at least a share of first place. Congratulations to everyone involved.

What has really impressed me the last two weeks is the way the Vikings have clearly been a more physical team than their opponents, on both offense and defense. They've looked well-prepared in both games and they appear to be a team that's gaining confidence quickly.

This wasn't the prettiest win you'll ever see but in the end, that doesn't matter at all. A win is a win. The defense and special teams carried the day today. Harvin and Sherels both delivered great returns for scores and the defense contained one of the more high-powered passing games in the NFL. They got a little too soft on the Lions TD drive but otherwise, they were quite good.

I haven't read 99% of the game thread but I'm guessing there were plenty of complaints about the offense. They've had and will have better games but again, they were physical today. The o-line controlled the line of scrimmage most of the game, specially in the running game, and Peterson was a beast. He gained a ton of yardage after contact and is looking stronger with each passing week. Ponder made good decisions with the ball and Simpson was definitely a factor in his first game with the team.

I think field position may have influenced the offensive strategy and point production a bit. I'm not sure what the Vikes average starting field position was but I think the majority of their drives started inside their own 20, if not their own 15.

There's room for improvement all around but considering the low expectations for the Vikings this year, I can't be anything but thrilled with the win and a 3-1 start!

I'd give game balls to Harvin, Sherels, Peterson and (I'm so happy to say this) the safeties. Smith and Sanford both made big plays today and Sanford, in particular, had an excellent game.

There were some things I saw that I didn't like but overall, there was a lot to enjoy about this one and I'm in way too good of a mood after this win to dwell on the flaws in the Vikings performance. 3-1!
:smilevike:
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikes/Lions post-game thoughts

Post by hibbingviking »

alan williams :thumbsup:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

hibbingviking wrote:alan williams :thumbsup:
He's doing a nice job. :)
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

lions = no playoffs
vikesfan87
All Pro Elite Player

Post by vikesfan87 »

A great job on the Lions offense! Stafford was 30/51 for 319 yards and keeping his YPA numbers down was key. The secondary also did a great job on Calvin Johnson limiting him to just 54 yards on 5 catches. Adrian Peterson had another solid day on the ground and kept a little ball control going. Our front four limited the Lions primary RB to just 26 yards.

Again, Ponder could've had a better day, but I won't complain on a day where 2/3'rds of the team (Specials and D) were great.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Anytime a defense can contain a guy like CJ it's impressive. Especially for someone like Sanford who really struggled last season.

I think this is the first game where Peterson really looked like his old self. What makes him great is all the second effort yardage he makes and I think today we really saw him bring that back to his game. I agree with Jim that the O-line is clearly more physical and athletic than last year. Pass protection is still inconsistent but I think they held their own more or less. Blitz pickup/recognition seems to be the biggest area that needs improvement.

For the offense, it was nice to see Simpson in action, very Sidney Rice-like in the way he can stretch the field and go up and grab the football. Not the greatest game for Ponder but he's doing a good job of not turning over the football. The DE had a shot at a pick but overall his throws, while short, are generally not as errant as last year. He needs to work on his pocket awareness, there are a few times I think he felt pressure that wasn't there causing him to check down or scramble right. I do have to say John Carlson is very disappointing for the amount of snaps he's had this year. Absolutely invisible.

As for special teams, well, what a difference a year makes! Harvin and Sherels were obvious stars but I think having Walsh boom it out of the endzone and some great coverage on punts also played a big part. Not to mention Kluwe's punt to pin them at the 3, that was huge. It may not have been pretty but it's tough to argue about 3-1.
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

Great post, Jim. I felt they were solidly in control all game. That's a good feeling to have, with a young team. This was indeed a great win. Go Vikes! Dave
Last edited by CalVike on Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

i dont see the bears or lions making playoffs with there shakey o-lines. packers are still scary.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

vikesfan87 wrote:A great job on the Lions offense! Stafford was 30/51 for 319 yards and keeping his YPA numbers down was key. The secondary also did a great job on Calvin Johnson limiting him to just 54 yards on 5 catches. Adrian Peterson had another solid day on the ground and kept a little ball control going. Our front four limited the Lions primary RB to just 26 yards.

Again, Ponder could've had a better day, but I won't complain on a day where 2/3'rds of the team (Specials and D) were great.
It will be interesting in the future (the Lions game from last year was what "got into his head") to see if he has sub-par games against the Lions going forward. Ponder is going to have some "rough" games (although I would have classified this one as "pedestrian" rather than "rough") because he is a new Quarterback. He is not making mistakes that cost games, though, and there is something to be said for that. In all, if that is the worst game Ponder has this year, I'll be extremely happy. I'm just waiting for him to have a terrible game to see what his detractors will say when one of his games is legitimately classified as "bad."
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
VikeMike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikeMike »

The defense definitely carried the day. Holding the Lions to 13 in Detroit is a big step forward. Sure they played the Cover 2 deep all day long, but the safeties played really well. The Lions didn't run the ball, and they couldn't get anything deep. The big key was they really tightened up in the red zone.

The passing offense wasn't anything special, but Peterson looks better every week. I was completely expecting AD to break one -- that burst of speed seems to be back. And, if Walsh hadn't missed that FG, the game wouldn't have been nearly as dramatic at the end.

Winning on the road when one of the three facets of your team isn't playing particularly well (the special teams really saved the offense) is a great, great thing. WInning on the road after a huge upset is a sign that this team is maturing a little bit. It's another step forward, although I still understand that this young team has more growing to do. All of it is encouraging, unless you are in the camp that wants Leslie Frasier gone.
"Meet at the quarterback"
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Big congrats to this team and especially Leslie Frazier for breaking the divisional barrier. On to the next! SKOL!
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

I think on that first quick screen attempt to Harvin where they said Simpson was open, Kalil was very close to being an ineligible receiver down field. If Ponder would've waited any longer and thrown it to Simpson I'm guessing Kalil would have been flagged.

I think the offensive line did a good job run blocking but lacked in pass blocking. There were a few times where Ponder could have waited and stepped up into the pocket but bailed out a little too quick. I thought this was the best AP has looked all season.

Impressed with the play of Robinson, Winfield, Smith and Sanford. Containing CJ was impressive. Vikings also held Leshoure to 26 yards rushing and pressured Stafford.

Special Teams looked great minus the missed FG from Blair. Both Sherels and Harvin with a TD. Kluwe had a great punt that pinned them inside their own 5.

3-1 :smilevike:
Last edited by Juice on Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikeMike wrote:The defense definitely carried the day. Holding the Lions to 13 in Detroit is a big step forward. Sure they played the Cover 2 deep all day long, but the safeties played really well. The Lions didn't run the ball, and they couldn't get anything deep. The big key was they really tightened up in the red zone.

The passing offense wasn't anything special, but Peterson looks better every week. I was completely expecting AD to break one -- that burst of speed seems to be back. And, if Walsh hadn't missed that FG, the game wouldn't have been nearly as dramatic at the end.

Winning on the road when one of the three facets of your team isn't playing particularly well (the special teams really saved the offense) is a great, great thing. WInning on the road after a huge upset is a sign that this team is maturing a little bit. It's another step forward, although I still understand that this young team has more growing to do. All of it is encouraging, unless you are in the camp that wants Leslie Frasier gone.
... and that's a camp that should be starting to have doubts.

You made a good point about the missed field goal. That would have made it a 3 score game and it really left a window of opportunity open for the Lions. Fortunately, the Vikes closed it for them. :)
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

You have to play each game based on the circumstances and when we get up big on special teams touchdowns it'd be silly to ask ponder and the offense to take unnecessary risks. The most impressive thing to me was just how physically dominate the Vikes were today on both sides of the ball. We were STUFFING the run with only 6-7 guys in the box, didn't give up any big plays and were breaking up passes with big hits. Peterson had about 5 YPC and over 100 yards rushing.

The best part is we won on the road and should have a great chance of sweeping them at home later on.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I dont think the offense played poorly. They spent a lot of time running clock starting early in the 3rd ... Which i wasnt a fan of but it worked so who am I to complain?

The offense was in a postion to just not make mistakes which they did.