Blair Walsh

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Blair Walsh

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote: That's pretty awesome.

To be fair about the touchbacks though, wasn't Berger kicking from farther away?
I imagine so. I was thinking about that as well. Not exactly comparing apples to apples. It will be more of the same (attempting to compare records/stats) if the league has more regular season games. But he's certainly getting the job done. I guess I don't remember Berger being as strong but he must have been. I was always "meh" on Berger. I'm actually excited about Walsh after being verrrrrry nervous after drafting him due to his tough senior year. Now that's all in the past and he might make the Pro Bowl. Great work by Spielman to draft him and Pfeiffer for helping him work on his timing. Some really question some of our coaches (and at times, justifiably so). Often we hear "Our coaches suck. Who have they coached up?" While that's generally a tough question to answer due to the complex nature of players maturing and becoming more accustomed to the game on their own. But I think Pfeiffer's work with Walsh is one of the strongest cases for a Vikings coach being at least partially responsible for the success of a player. Our special teams units as a whole have been pretty solid. Kudos to him. And also to Walsh!
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Cliff wrote: That's pretty awesome.

To be fair about the touchbacks though, wasn't Berger kicking from farther away?
Nope, they made it farther the next season. then they changed it back before last season.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
shannontw
Veteran

Post by shannontw »

Whats funny is when Rick drafted this guy. We was all saying, he picked up a kicker to early in the draft and we should of waited because we could of pickup another position player. We called this a bad pick by Rick. Seems like to me, Rick knows what he doing. Kalil, Smith, Walsh, Wright, Robinson are good picks IMO.
radar55
All Pro Elite Player

Post by radar55 »

How good is the "BIONIC LEG"

While I generally dont concern myself with post season awards because they tend to be based more on name recognition and popularity then it does on substance....... this young man IS not only deserving of the PRO BOWL, but if he continues his current pace and does not get picked...it would simply confirm how biased the selection process is.

There are other kickers who have scored more points than Walsh but ONLY because they play on potent offenses and kick more extra points but when you look at his overall % and the the number of 50+ yard field goals he has made along with his touchback % I dont believe there is a better kicker in the league.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Nope, they made it farther the next season. then they changed it back before last season.
What I just found says they moved it back in 1995, so that would have been 30 for Berger
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

glg wrote:What I just found says they moved it back in 1995, so that would have been 30 for Berger
1994. Kickoffs were from the 35 from 1974 through 1993 and from the 40 prior to that.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/ ... t-kickoffs
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I have to admit I was concerned about Walsh after hearing about his accuracy issues his senior year. Kudos to Spielman for finding another late-round gem.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

S197 wrote:I have to admit I was concerned about Walsh after hearing about his accuracy issues his senior year. Kudos to Spielman for finding another late-round gem.
I'd bet money that they would have taken Greg Zuerlein over Walsh if he'd still been on the board. Kudos should also go to Mike Priefer, who apparently had Walsh make some adjustments in his FG kicking early in camp.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Guy is straight up MONEY. Blair "Money" Walsh. Gonna be a studmuffin for this team for the next 10 years. Smith, Kalil and Walsh, the front office needs to give themselves a pat on the back. That is some long term 5+ year addressing of issues this team has had forever. Walsh can keep it up, keep bashing 50 yarders and I think he should make the pro bowl.
admvp
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by admvp »

I'm going to bump this back up to the top in honor of the Packers' kicking woes. Mason Crosby has a rocket for a leg, but what a headcase he is! He's simply terrible!

Here we are with our money rookie kicker... It's fun to sit back and laugh at Green Bay's kicking issues. Hopefully it will cost them a game or two.
LA Viking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by LA Viking »

Hunter Morrow wrote:Guy is straight up MONEY. Blair "Money" Walsh. Gonna be a studmuffin for this team for the next 10 years. Smith, Kalil and Walsh, the front office needs to give themselves a pat on the back. That is some long term 5+ year addressing of issues this team has had forever. Walsh can keep it up, keep bashing 50 yarders and I think he should make the pro bowl.
Can't use that nickname, that was Longwell's.
The difference between men is not lack of strength, not lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

LA Viking wrote: Can't use that nickname, that was Longwell's.

How about "Studmuffin"? :)
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018