Jerome Simpson Targeted A Lot To Establish Him?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Jerome Simpson Targeted A Lot To Establish Him?

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Look at Mikel LeShoure last week. He got a ton of touches. I can easily see the Vikings targetting Simpson 10 times or more this game. He's far and away a 10+ yard threat upgrade to every guy we have like Aromashadou and Jenkins.

Do you think Simpson will be targetted a lot to both establish him and keep pace with a potent Lions passing corps?
Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Jerome Simpson Targeted A Lot To Establish Him?

Post by Cliff »

I think they'll call a fair amount of plays his way but I don't expect anything to be forced. He'll get the targets if he's actually open though I think.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Hunter Morrow wrote:Look at Mikel LeShoure last week. He got a ton of touches. I can easily see the Vikings targetting Simpson 10 times or more this game. He's far and away a 10+ yard threat upgrade to every guy we have like Aromashadou and Jenkins.

Do you think Simpson will be targetted a lot to both establish him and keep pace with a potent Lions passing corps?
He hasn't had significant playing time in a game for about a month (over a month?) so I don't think they'll target him quite that often, although I do think they will target him.

With luck, the Vikings won't have to keep pace with the Lions. The Lions will be worried about keeping pace with the Vikes. :)
VikeMike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikeMike »

I hope not ... let Smpson get situated into the offense and play what is effective, whatever it is.

I loved seeing what happened against the 49ers, but I'm not about to get carried away quite yet. The Vikings have the third-youngest roster in the NFL — we'll have a roller coaster ride this year, kids! I just hope the Vikings can put pressure on Stafford and play solid defense. Run the ball well against the Lions, let that set up the passing game and take their shots when they can.
"Meet at the quarterback"
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

Hunter Morrow wrote:Look at Mikel LeShoure last week. He got a ton of touches. I can easily see the Vikings targetting Simpson 10 times or more this game. He's far and away a 10+ yard threat upgrade to every guy we have like Aromashadou and Jenkins.

I sure hope we can target him a lot. He is a very athletic guy and a great reciever. If we can target him 10 times or more like you said, we will have a pretty good shot at winning this game.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I have actually been thinking frequently whether or not the Vikings will try to force the ball to Jerome Simpson just because they can. I really hope we stay smart with the ball and only get the ball to Simpson on plays that call for him to get the ball or if he completely takes the top off of the defense and he is open.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

Don't think that they'll force the ball to Simpson at all. I think they keep it simple with them feeding the ball to AD, Ponder looking for Rudolph. The person that will benefit the most I think will definitely be Harvin in the slot. Simpson will get some balls thrown his way; my guess is 4 catches for 51yds and a TD. If our defense can play the way they did last week against the 49ers, I like our chances although stopping Megatron is near impossible.
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Is Stafford out ? I thought I saw that he was hurt ??
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

jackal wrote:Is Stafford out ? I thought I saw that he was hurt ??
Hip. Not practicing but might play. Though their bye is next week so they could hold him out. This is a pretty important game for them, though, so I expect him to suit up if its a pain tolerance issue.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Note ... ings092612
Wide receiver Jerome Simpson reported Wednesday that he caught a 60-yard pass from Christian Ponder in his first practice back after serving a three-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

The Vikings, of course, are hoping that Simpson will become a vertical threat in an offense that hasn't featured much of a downfield passing game so far.

"It was great. I was like a kid at a candy store," Simpson said of being back on the field with his teammates. "It was great to be back out there with the guys running plays. Actually, being able to run real plays with the quarterback and just trying to get my timing down and being the best player I can."

Early on in the practice, when reporters were allowed to watch, it appeared that Ponder and Simpson struggled with their timing. The two had developed a nice chemistry during the offseason and training camp, but Simpson did not play in the final two exhibition games and then sat out against Jacksonville, Indianapolis and San Francisco.

"It was just (Ponder) getting back used to my speed and just how I run my routes and everything," Simpson said. "(We were) just a little rusty, but during practice we made some connections. We got a good go-ball early in practice that we connected on so it was a good feeling."
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

that sounds decent. I really hope that Ponder and Simpson can connect at least a few times. Hopefully Simpson can grab a touchdown also! :thumbsup: :smilevike: SKOL!!
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Yes, I think the Vikings will get Simpson the ball a lot, but mostly because the Lions don't have much film on him with the Vikings and, more importantly, he's fresh and should be motivated.

As to whether they'll be going deep a lot, that's a different question. As much as Simpson is talked about as a deep ball guy, he strikes me more as a catch-and-run type of guy more in the Harvin mold. That's not a bad thing at all as I think the two of them on the field at the same time will make for some nightmare matchup problems for the Lions et. al., but I'll be surprised if we see a lot more deep throws per se.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

As much as Simpson is talked about as a deep ball guy, he strikes me more as a catch-and-run type of guy more in the Harvin mold.
To me as well. I've never really thought of him as some deep speed guy, or a big guy who can out jump people down the field. Does he have a large number of deep receptions or what reason is there to believe he's a real down field threat? Guess I'm missing it. (Not being down on him, the only issue I had was not signing him to a longer deal...)
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

that's pretty much it. on our team any type of deep threat is what we need so as fans that is what we zoom in on. however, he has great speed and was a deep threat in college. granted it was fcs football but he really stretched the field. i think people see his crazy athleticsim and forget that he actually has pretty amazing speed as well. bottom line is having them out there in whatever capacity the team needs will be good.
i'm ready for a beer.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

the defense played great against SF last week

I like Ponder has improved a lot ..

I am hoping Simpson is the deep threat we are missing but we will see in the next month or so..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!