How the Vikings stack up in the NFC North

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: How the Vikings stack up in the NFC North

Post by indianation65 »

Having a family full of Cowboys fans it's hard for me not to cheer for the Bears. Hmm, I think I'll mow my dad's huge yard for him during that time. There might still be some light.

Addendum: I may have never mentioned that Dallas is my #2 most hated pro team behind GB, then the T. Rangers, then the Red Wings, then the Lakers.

...wisdom through no good outcome
...spirits in the wind and the trees
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

GBFavreFan wrote:After 3 weeks we are tied with the Bears for 1st at 2-1. But zooming in a little more, I think we are making remarkable progress in us moving up while the other teams are struggling. While the other teams might fix their issues this season, things don't look so dire for us.

The Lions seem similar to last year, but for whatever reason haven't been able to close the deal in the win column. Their defense is still very porous, and Stafford is already banged up. Next week should answer a lot of questions about how we fare against a shootout team.
The Bears seem to look good against scrubby teams, but not so great against upper level teams.
Well, the Bears have only played one "upper level" team and that was in GB, where the Bears offense just seems to fail every season. They go to Dallas this week and just like the Vikes/Lions game will tell us a lot more about those two teams, I think the Bears/Cowboys game will tell us more about the Bears. If they stay healthy, I suspect they'll be in the playoff hunt all season.
Not so sure where we fit on that scale, but I guess we'll find out. In any case, I don't think we'd be doormats for the Bears.
I'm not sure the Vikes will be doormats for anybody. As you said, I guess we'll find out but they've played 3 very competitive games so far and I think they'll be in most, if not all, of their games this year.
3 weeks ago we seemed a lock for 4th place in the NFC North, but we've not only been tied for 1st place for the entire season so far, but our chances for finishing in a fair spot might not seem so ridiculous anymore! SKOL Vikings!
I agree. It's too early to draw any definitive conclusions but the win over SF could be an indication that the Vikes will surprise everyone and get into the playoff hunt this season...

... or it could just be a big upset by a team that will win 5 or 6 games. We'll find out but right now, I'm excited about the possibilities and hoping the Vikes take advantage of a great opportunity by beating Detroit next week.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

indianation65 wrote:Having a family full of Cowboys fans...

You can stop right there. You have my complete sympathy! :D
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

If we can keep playing the way we did against the 49ers, we will have a good chance of a decent record and decent spot in the division.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Infinity wrote:If we can keep playing the way we did against the 49ers, we will have a good chance of a decent record and decent spot in the division.
If we do that we will win the Division! The question is: Was it a "fluke" game or is it an indicator of more games to come. Tarvaris Jackson had a pretty good game against the Arizona Cardinals once. The problem was: It was only once :wink: I think (hope) the Vikings win was not a fluke, and I remain "cautiously optimistic" that the Vikings are moving in the right direction with the development of his team. Detroit should be a good indicator of where we are headed....
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Just Me wrote: If we do that we will win the Division! The question is: Was it a "fluke" game or is it an indicator of more games to come. Tarvaris Jackson had a pretty good game against the Arizona Cardinals once. The problem was: It was only once :wink: I think (hope) the Vikings win was not a fluke, and I remain "cautiously optimistic" that the Vikings are moving in the right direction with the development of his team. Detroit should be a good indicator of where we are headed....
The way the team played was not a fluke. They might not be able to sustain that level of play considering how young the team is. I think the 49ers game was a flash ... it shows what the teams potential could be ... but I wouldn't get my hopes up on them sustaining that level all year. I'd love to be wrong, of course.

Ponder alone should have been responsible for 3 more turnovers that ended up being dropped. It won't be long before one of those gets caught by a defender if he continues to make those throws. As close as the Vikings play their games that kind of mistake can easily become a loss. Heck, just look at last season ... how many of those games could have swung the Vikings way if a DB would have dropped an INT instead of making the play?
9man
Transition Player

Post by 9man »

Man am I glad the vikes drafted kalil. The bears and packers o-lines are not that good. Tice has his work cut out for him.
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

Just Me wrote: If we do that we will win the Division! The question is: Was it a "fluke" game or is it an indicator of more games to come. Tarvaris Jackson had a pretty good game against the Arizona Cardinals once. The problem was: It was only once :wink: I think (hope) the Vikings win was not a fluke, and I remain "cautiously optimistic" that the Vikings are moving in the right direction with the development of his team. Detroit should be a good indicator of where we are headed....
No, I don't think it was a "fluke". The team showed great work ethic and were very solid on both ends of the field. But your right, you can't be too sure it wasn't a fluke, but Christian Ponder is already better than T-Jack ever was (or will be). I think we have a great chance at winning the next game, especially since they lost last week against the titans, and we won against the 49ers, who have arguably the best defense in the league. The Detroit defense looked weak, and with Simpsons return, hopefully he can be a huge target. If we advance to 3-1, it would give our team a huge confidence boost. I think we have shown major improvement from last year, and I hope that we can only get better.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

vikes will win the nfc north.....

:popcorn:
i'm ready for a beer.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

i wouldn't go that far yet vikeinmontana. over the first two games our defense looked like they might have been the worst in the nfl, so unless that continues to improve it won't matter that our offense is making strides.
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

I think we can look forward to the future with great things coming our way. We are the third youngest team and we showed some of our potential to what we could be against a very good 49er team. Stafford may not be playing so we might not see the best Lions but a good lions offense lets hope Cook can limit Johnson to pedestrian megatron numbers.
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

we are better than i thought we would be ...

can we play like last week in more games. ..??

That is the best I have seen us look since 2009 for sure.

If we come out of this week with a win (I hate to say it ) a wild card could happen for us..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

It is hard to not think we are heading in the right direction. IMO, this game will be a great early barometer of just where the Vikings are at. It is on the road and it is in the division. A win would provide huge momentum and make a legitimate statement that the league better start taking the purple more seriously.

Cliff hit it though on the luck factor. Not to diminish his outstanding play, but Ponder has made some mistakes and so far has been lucky that they didn’t turn into picks. I love what he is doing, but sooner or later one of those is going to bite us. Every QB does this, even the great ones, and how the Vikings handle it will be another hurdle on their path back to glory.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
FailedtoOpen
All Pro Elite Player

Post by FailedtoOpen »

Purplemania wrote:I would say....bad. Vikings match up well against running teams like the 9ers. Teams that can air it out like the Lions or Packers should and probably will shed our defense. Even #### Cutler will have his ways.
The Vikings and Niners play similar styled ball which gives me some hope. Although the Niners players are probably much stronger (especially on defense) but the just the similarity in styles gives me some hope.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Purplemania wrote: Similiar philosophy but a big time difference in players. Also, the reason is that they're a much much much more consistant team than we are. If we can keep up this level of play for a few weeks I'll start to believe.
I would disagree that there is a BIG difference in players for the Packers and the Vikings. The Packers, who have now lost 4 of the last five games that they played in, are not playing like the team that racked up 15 wins last year. Rogers clearly outshines Ponder, but I would put the Vikes line ahead of the Packers on offense and if Allen ever gets his head out of his butt then the D lines are about equal. The Packers secondary has been exposed and I do not think that they are much better than the Vikes. Line backers go to the Packers...but no olb is outplaying Greenway this year. Running Backs (not even close), Wideouts definately Packers but Harvin might be the most dynamic player in the league. I would give the edge to Rudolph over Finley (drops lots of passes). Kickers, I give the edge to the Vikes.
If Ponder comes into his own the Vikes will soon be contenders.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.