Breaking down the tape from Vikings win over 49ers

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Breaking down the tape from Vikings win over 49ers

Post by Infinity »

Demi wrote:http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Brea ... 9ers092512
:shock:

Whatever works I guess. :lol:
I think it's great that most of his passes are short. They are the more accurate ones, and he will get better at throwing the deep balls over time. Also, the short passes are great for slowly moving the ball downfield. But in the situations where it's like 30 seconds to go and were on our own 20 is when we would need the deep passes. So right now, just let him do his thing and he'll get better at deep passes over time.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Infinity wrote: I think it's great that most of his passes are short. They are the more accurate ones, and he will get better at throwing the deep balls over time. Also, the short passes are great for slowly moving the ball downfield. But in the situations where it's like 30 seconds to go and were on our own 20 is when we would need the deep passes. So right now, just let him do his thing and he'll get better at deep passes over time.
The funny thing is: Whenever we've needed the deep passes (ala the Jacksonville game last 14 seconds) he has delivered. I don't think its possible (or fair) to expect him to always pull that off, but in his first two games he needed to hit those passes to tie games. Ponder delivered in both of them. The defense just let us down in one of the two games. So yeah, 50% of his passes aren't going 40+ yards from the LOS. At the end of the day: His passer rating is still north of 100 and we are 2-1.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

I love the criticism "we need to throw the ball deep" Ponder throws interceptions because of it. " Ponder keeps forcing the long ball." waaah. If its open then he should take the shot but, with our wide outs its hard to throw a deep ball to a slow possession receiver in Jenkins or a fourth stringer in Aromashodu. The main thing is getting Percy the ball in open field and great things happen. lets just see how the offense fairs with Harvin, Simpson and co
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.