Simpson is back...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Simpson is back...

Post by mansquatch »

I agree the Simpson is another tool in the box for Ponder/Musgrave, but has yet to show that he can be a game changer like Percy Harvin or AP. That being said, they currently lack a reliable down field speedster so having him in the line up should help and allow them to throw other wrinkles. If any thing, he will push at least 1 DB further back to respect his speed and that makes for one less guy for Harvin to have to make miss.

Also, on the Carlson thing. Ponder's TD run was avaiable in large part because of the route Carlson ran. He ran a wheel which drew the linebacker into coverage. Willis had excellent coverage, but also cleared the field which opened up the lane for Ponder. Is that a reception? No, but I wouldn't say he didn't contribute.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

I'm hearing a lot of talk about simpson as a deep threat and he may very well be that. However, I'm actually hoping he can come close to mimicking what Harvin does. Just another solid guy who can get open and make those 5-15 yard catches with good YAC. I actually feel a deep threat is semi over rated for our style of offense, as we proved yesterday you don't need 25+ yard pickups to constantly move the ball against a top 5 defense.

I just hope he has enough of an impact to draw some attention away from Harvin, Rudolph, and oh that guy named Adrian Peterson.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

acousticrock wrote:Simpson reminds me a bit of Anthony Carter from back in the day.
They seem very similar in terms of body type, speed, and production.
Anthony Carter wasn't Cris Carter or Jerry Rice.
But he produced fairly good games/seasons with the Vikings.

I don't expect Simpson to be Calvin or Andre Johnson, but I think he can make smaller impacts on each game in terms of giving Ponder another solid option to throw at, allowing other receivers get to open, and unstacking the box a few times a game for AD.
AC was about 5-10 (generously) and 168 pounds soaking wet. He was so small that I was always afraid he was going to get hurt -- bad.

Jerome Simpson is 6-1, 193. Decent size for a wideout. So I don't see them as being close in body type.

But you're right in that Simspon's play is a bit reminiscent of AC. Both had/have that extraordinary athleticism and ability to go up and get the ball. It seemed sometimes like AC defied physics, and Simpson has that same kind of athletic potential.

I also agree that along with his direct production, Simpson's presence on the field as a deep threat could open up the intermediate routes in the 10-15 yard range.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Jerome Simpson ain't gonna be the savior or anything. Just our WR play (outside Harvin) is/has been so atrocious it makes him look like the 2nd coming of Moss. He'll help for sure but I'm not expecting breathtaking performance.
Dude.

50 catches for a 14.5 average and 4 TDs (his numbers with Cincy last year) would make him pretty much the best receiver on our team outside of Harvin.

Don't poo-poo this addition. It's needed and welcome.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Arma
Starter

Post by Arma »

Simpson will be a great complimentary reciever to Harvin and our future #1 (*crosses fingers that Childs comes back fine*). I'm excited to see him next week, and I'm sure he will be making some plays that turn heads.
Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
'cause everyone thinks they're right,
And nobody thinks that there just might
Be more than one road to our final destination--
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I dont think Simpson is a deep threat, but he will be a threat (if hes done dealing dope). Devin and Jenkins aernt cutting it right now, its all PH and Kyle. With Simpson, the safeties have to respect a WR more then 5 yards down the field.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

It's a huge addition. He's the only guy on the roster with the ideal combination of speed, size, hands, and athleticism that can open up a downfield game. Harvin doesn't really have the size and hops. Jenkins doesn't have the speed and athleticism. Aromashodu has butterfingers. Ponder seems like he has a level of comfort with Percy so far, and he seems like he'll throw it Jenkins's way if he has to...but he had a lot of comfort with Simpson in the preseason. (And when I say downfield, I mean mid-range...because for this Vikings team, mid-range is downfield.)

It should open up running routes that have been getting shut down. Most teams have been rushing safeties and bringing their corners up in run support. Peterson hasn't really had a serious breakout game yet...maybe he's still recovering, but maybe he's just not getting good holes. Defenses don't respect Michael Jenkins or Devin Aromashodu, but if they don't respect Simpson, they're going to get torched.
-Rus