REF's ??????

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: REF's ??????

Post by vikeinmontana »

that is only when both layers possess the ball at the exact same time. it was clear to everyone, even the expert they brought on the phoe that this wasn't the case. jennings had the ball with two hands and arms. tate barely had an arm on it! terrible, and they will apologize tomorrow. :(

i hate the pack as much as everyone but that was just awful. and for anyone convinced that there is a big conspiracy with officials and the packers allowing them to win games.....think that kinda disproves that. just really bad.
i'm ready for a beer.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Pearson pushes-off...or this?

Which is worse?
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

indianation65 wrote:It sure is laughable for NFL players to continually rag and malign the replacement refs. Why don't they call out their own bosses, their owners? They are the cats who did the hiring!

...wisdom through paychecks
I've seen at least one player blame the owners, think it was Ed Reed. Called the owners cheap
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

thatguy wrote:Image

Pearson pushes-off...or this?

Which is worse?
I had already posted this on another topic:I doubt that anyone on this board dislikes the Packers more than I do but.....Not since Drew Pearson have I seen such a bad no call. Golden Tate clearly pushed the defender down and then went up and got a small portion of the ball which was clearly intercepted by a Packer defender. There was no simultaneous catch by any stretch of any imagination.
These officials suck beyond imagination.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
me4get
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by me4get »

vikeinmontana wrote:that is only when both layers possess the ball at the exact same time. it was clear to everyone, even the expert they brought on the phoe that this wasn't the case. jennings had the ball with two hands and arms. tate barely had an arm on it! terrible, and they will apologize tomorrow. :(

i hate the pack as much as everyone but that was just awful. and for anyone convinced that there is a big conspiracy with officials and the packers allowing them to win games.....think that kinda disproves that. just really bad.
It doesn't matter until the players contact the ground ,that's when possession is ruled, both players had both hands on the ball, Tate had one hand under the GB players arm with the hand on the ball and a hand on top of the ball that by rule is possession. And it's about time the ref's love affair with GB ends.
Viking fan since '65
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

this sir is incorrect. i don't like to pull the player card often but i played in college, and coached for years. i have a great feel for the rules of the game and i don't think you are getting this one correct. i have a feeling this will be played all week and we'll hear countless officials, coaches, atc. say it was wrong. you can also count on an apology. i'd bet my home on it.
i'm ready for a beer.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

me4get wrote:It doesn't matter until the players contact the ground ,that's when possession is ruled, both players had both hands on the ball, Tate had one hand under the GB players arm with the hand on the ball and a hand on top of the ball that by rule is possession.
They didn't have simultaneous possession. Simply having your hands on the ball does not constitute possession. The ball was wrapped up in the arms of Jennings.
And it's about time the ref's love affair with GB ends.
Ok, now I understand.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

The NFL season should be suspended until the real refs are back. It's that bad.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

good post. the interpretation of the rules is correct. i thin what some are missing, or one poster that i've seen is what simultaneous possession is. that wasn't it and you won't find one person except for probably skip bayless that says otherwise. and that's just for ratings.
i'm ready for a beer.
me4get
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by me4get »

PLAYER POSSESSION
Article 7 A player is in possession when he is in firm grip and control of the ball inbounds (See 3-2-3).
To gain possession of a loose ball (3-2-3) that has been caught, intercepted, or recovered, a player must have
complete control of the ball and have both feet or any other part of his body, other than his hands,
completely on the ground inbounds, and maintain control of the ball long enough to perform any act
common to the game. If the player loses the ball while simultaneously touching both feet or any other part
of his body to the ground or if there is any doubt that the acts were simultaneous, there is no possession.
This rule applies in the field of play and in the end zone.
The terms catch, intercept, recover, advance, and fumble denote player possession (as distinguished from
touching or muffing).
Note 1: A player who goes to the ground in the process of attempting to secure possession of a loose ball (with
or without contact by an opponent) must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting
the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches
the ground before he regains control, there is no possession. If he regains control prior to the ball touching
the ground, it is a catch, interception, or recovery.
Note 2: If a player goes to the ground out-of-bounds (with or without contact by an opponent) in the process of
attempting to secure possession of a loose ball at the sideline, he must maintain complete and continuous
control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, or there is no possession.
Note 3: If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball will not be considered loss of
possession. He must lose control of the ball in order to rule that there has been a loss of possession.

COMPLETED OR INTERCEPTED PASS
Article 3 Completed or Intercepted Pass. A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward
pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:
(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and
(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and
(c) maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, to enable him to
perform any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it,
advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.).
Note 1: It is not necessary that he commit such an act, provided that he maintains control of the ball long
enough to do so.
Note 2: If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball will not be considered a loss of
possession. He must lose control of the ball in order to rule that there has been a loss of possession.
If the player loses the ball while simultaneously touching both feet or any part of his body other than his hands
to the ground, or if there is any doubt that the acts were simultaneous, it is not a catch.
Item 1: Player Going to the Ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or
without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting
the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches
the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching
the ground, the pass is complete.
Item 2: Sideline Catches. If a player goes to the ground out-of-bounds (with or without contact by an
opponent) in the process of making a catch at the sideline, he must maintain complete and continuous
control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, or the pass is incomplete.
Item 3: End Zone Catches. If a player controls the ball while in the end zone, both feet, or any part of his body
other than his hands, must be completely on the ground before losing control, or the pass is incomplete.

Note: In the field of play, if a catch of a forward pass has been completed, after which contact by a defender
causes the ball to become loose before the runner is down by contact, it is a fumble, and the ball
remains alive. In the end zone, the same action is a touchdown, since the receiver completed the catch
beyond the goal line prior to the loss of possession, and the ball is dead when the catch is completed.
Item 4: Ball Touches Ground. If the ball touches the ground after the player secures control of it, it is a
catch, provided that the player continues to maintain control.
Item 5: Simultaneous Catch. If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players
retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an
opponent subsequently gains joint control. If the ball is muffed after simultaneous touching by two such
players, all the players of the passing team become eligible to catch the loose ball.
Item 6: Carried Out of Bounds. If a player, who is in possession of the ball, is held up and carried out of
bounds by an opponent before both feet or any part of his body other than his hands touches the ground
inbounds, it is a completed or intercepted pass.

So possession is not determined until there is the players is down and has control.
Viking fan since '65
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

again, you are still missing the point. i know what the rule is. watch the replay. even if both players controlled the ball at the exact same time, (which they didn't as jennings was higher and controlled it first) but watch tate's right hand as they are falling to the ground. it is nowhere near the ball and he goes back in to get it. this is not simultneous possession.

i find it odd that you are literally the only person i see defending this call. everyone else is speechless. i just don't think you'd be viewing it incorrectly had it been the vikes against the 'hawks tonight.

that said, todd was right on. there were terrible calls all night. but this will go down as one of the most talked about and controversial plays ever in the nfl yet you seem to be the one person who thinks it was the right call. it was awful.
i'm ready for a beer.
me4get
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by me4get »

vikeinmontana wrote:again, you are still missing the point. i know what the rule is. watch the replay. even if both players controlled the ball at the exact same time, (which they didn't as jennings was higher and controlled it first) but watch tate's right hand as they are falling to the ground. it is nowhere near the ball and he goes back in to get it. this is not simultneous possession.

i find it odd that you are literally the only person i see defending this call. everyone else is speechless. i just don't think you'd be viewing it incorrectly had it been the vikes against the 'hawks tonight.

that said, todd was right on. there were terrible calls all night. but this will go down as one of the most talked about and controversial plays ever in the nfl yet you seem to be the one person who thinks it was the right call. it was awful.
But control doesn't happen until the players are on the ground. who had it in the air doesn't count.
Viking fan since '65
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Article 7 A player is in possession when he is in firm grip and control of the ball inbounds (See 3-2-3).
If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control.
Reads to me like Jennings with the previous control was the one with possession and the int.

I felt it was a TD until they pointed out that part of the simultaneous catch rule.
DarthBrooks
Transition Player

Post by DarthBrooks »

Packers got hosed. It would have been the greatest thing ever if they had refused to return to the field.

vikings79
Franchise Player

Post by vikings79 »

1. The Packers got hosed and lost. This result won't change no matter how much they and their fans complain.

2. (Speaking as a Badger fan) Russell Wilson threw the Hail Mary. After the way we lost to Michigan State and Ohio State last year, there's nothing I could want more.

It's been a good week so far.