Vikes/49ers Post-game thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Vikes/49ers Post-game thoughts

Post by Mothman »

This was a great win and I genuinely hope some of the fans who were so down on the team, head coach, OC, quarterback, etc. feel encouraged by it. The posts this week grew awfully cynical, from predictions that the Vikings offense wouldn't even cross the 50 yard line to predictions that they would be blown out by 30+ points and even a declaration that they wouldn't win another game this year. The Vikes are a young team and this win doesn't mean they'll instantly become a consistent team or a playoff contender but it should show that this coaching staff can actually coach, that the defensive philosophy can work, that Ponder can be a good leader and a legitimate starting QB, etc. It was just one game and one game doesn't solve all of a team's problems or definitively prove anything but hopefully, most Vikings fans are finding this win exciting and encouraging.

It wasn't a perfect win but the defense came up big time and time again and they forced some much-needed turnovers. The offense came out and opened the game with a great drive and Frazier showed guts by taking a chance on 4th down so the Vikes could come away with a TD. I give Musgrave credit for calling a good game, sticking with the run even though the Vikes weren't getting big plays out of it and not being afraid to let ponder do more.

Ponder had an excellent game and once again, took care of the ball, playing smart, efficient football. I definitely think he's made strides as a QB since last season.

The less said about the replacement officials, the better.

There were some disappointments in the game: Raymond's injury, the special teams allowing two long kick returns and the normally reliable Gerhart fumbling but there was so much more to be positive about that I want to focus on that. The Vikes seriously reduced the number of penalties they were committing. That was great news and an aspect of the win that shouldn't be overlooked. They blocked a FG. Walsh remained strong and reliable, Allen finally registered a sack and best of all... the Vikings are 2-1 after 3 games and tied for first place in the division!

I'd give the game ball on offense to Ponder. He played a very good game.

I think Greenway deserves a game ball on defense. He was a real force today.

Kudos to Frazier and his staff for a great game plan.

Now I want to see the Vikes go into Detroit and win their first divisional game of the season! :govikes:
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikes/49ers Post-game thoughts

Post by Lash Man »

Mothman wrote:This was a great win and I genuinely hope some of the fans who were so down on the team, head coach, OC, quarterback, etc. feel encouraged by it. The posts this week grew awfully cynical, from predictions that the Vikings offense wouldn't even cross the 50 yard line to predictions that they would be blown out by 30+ points and even a declaration that they wouldn't win another game this year. The Vikes are a young team and this win doesn't mean they'll instantly become a consistent team or a playoff contender but it should show that this coaching staff can actually coach, that the defensive philosophy can work, that Ponder can be a good leader and a legitimate starting QB, etc. It was just one game and one game doesn't solve all of a team's problems or definitively prove anything but hopefully, most Vikings fans are finding this win exciting and encouraging.

It wasn't a perfect win but the defense came up big time and time again and they forced some much-needed turnovers. The offense came out and opened the game with a great drive and Frazier showed guts by taking a chance on 4th down so the Vikes could come away with a TD. I give Musgrave credit for calling a good game, sticking with the run even though the Vikes weren't getting big plays out of it and not being afraid to let ponder do more.

Ponder had an excellent game and once again, took care of the ball, playing smart, efficient football. I definitely think he's made strides as a QB since last season.

The less said about the replacement officials, the better.

There were some disappointments in the game: Raymond's injury, the special teams allowing two long kick returns and the normally reliable Gerhart fumbling but there was so much more to be positive about that I want to focus on that. The Vikes seriously reduced the number of penalties they were committing. That was great news and an aspect of the win that shouldn't be overlooked. They blocked a FG. Walsh remained strong and reliable, Allen finally registered a sack and best of all... the Vikings are 2-1 after 3 games and tied for first place in the division!

I'd give the game ball on offense to Ponder. He played a very good game.

I think Greenway deserves a game ball on defense. He was a real force today.

Kudos to Frazier and his staff for a great game plan.

Now I want to see the Vikes go into Detroit and win their first divisional game of the season! :govikes:
Agree 100% on the great win and I forgot the impact of the lack of penalties , you cannot under estimate the impact of penalties on wins and losses , good call Mothman !
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Lash Man wrote:Agree 100% on the great win and I forgot the impact of the lack of penalties , you cannot under estimate the impact of penalties on wins and losses , good call Mothman !
Thank you, sir!
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

I don't know how many play calls Ponder had to kill today, but it's a credit to him and a discredit to Musgrave. I hope this game is the beginning of the Ponder Era for the Vikings.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PH is our GREATEST player this season. We all love AD, but i think he is still in healing mode.

Ponder showed everything a QB should today. Very impressed.

The Oline did their job (i still dont like Johnson). We played a good D today and the Oline matched up well.

Greenway is getting better every game. Its a good thing, he certainkly is getting paid for it.

Our DBs played well. We actually got an INT and Sanford stripped a fumble.

The few bad things were our ST coverage.

Fraizer keep AD out and toby in after 2 Fumbles. Unexcuseable, I dont care how many carries AD. Or put in Astrea or Fleton.

Let the refs get away with the challenge and TOs

The refs, omg. Cant even begin

Man was this a fun game to watch, wish i had made it to the Dome with my fdriends. SKOL VIKINGS!!!
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Let the refs get away with the challenge and TOs
I can't agree with the above isolated part of your post. Frazier was arguing with the refs. What's he supposed to do when they do not change it? Pull a weapon on them?

I think you're accurate on the rest of the post, though... :thumbsup:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

petev_sj wrote:I don't know how many play calls Ponder had to kill today, but it's a credit to him and a discredit to Musgrave. [
I don't see it that way. Musgrave called a play and Ponder saw something in the defense that he thought he could exploit. It's more of a credit to Ponder. This isn't a new development. You think fans discredit McDaniels when Brady audibles to what he feels is a more advantageous play? It means Ponder has total control of the offense and is confident enough in what he sees to make the decision. Plus, who knows what the outcome of the original play would have been? It's not assumed it would've been a negative play (likewise, I don't think Ponder's audibles calls resulted in dramatic positive gains).
Last edited by dead_poet on Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

Ponder had an excellent game and our defense pulled through when needed. Our offense penetrated the tough SF defense and we came out with the win. Chad greenway had an awesome game and Jared Allen forced a fumble. Also, San Fransisco mistakes in key situations. They would drive it down the field but could not score. I am very impressed with this week's win and I hope we can continue to play that way for the remainder of the season.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

I just want to say 3 positive things. I was very negative before this game so this will make up for it a bit.

Give the game ball to Christian Ponder. He operated at an incredibly high level against a great defense. He showed so much more awareness and pocket presence than the last game. Ponder threw some beautiful balls...into the sidelines and the cheap seats. That rushing touchdown was phenomenal. Very high amounts of football IQ and athleticism were on full display there.

If he matures into doing that consistently he could be Top 10 in league/franchise material.

Greenway is beasting out. Allen is struggling so Greenway is picking up that slack. Played a great game.

Also...Blair Walsh. 3 straight 50 yarders. Everything he hit he looked like he could have hit almost another 10 yards out. 55 yarders on down seem automatic.
Gigantic upgrade to Longwell.
FailedtoOpen
All Pro Elite Player

Post by FailedtoOpen »

I feel like Alex Smith handed the Vikings the game. Not to say the Vikings didn't play amazing against a very strong team. But the Vikings defense has this remarkable ability to never punish the other team for their mistakes. The Vikings defense has to be one of the most forgiving defenses in the NFL. A QB like Rodgers will not make easy mistakes that allow for a drive to die, or throw the ball directly to a DB.

Other then that the 4th and 1 call was huge, probably game making. The reffing was terrible for both parties involved. The last 5 minutes was probably the sloppiest football I've seen in a long time in which neither team wanted the ball... and Harvin is a stud.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Just Me wrote: I can't agree with the above isolated part of your post. Frazier was arguing with the refs. What's he supposed to do when they do not change it? Pull a weapon on them?

I think you're accurate on the rest of the post, though... :thumbsup:
Cry his way out of it like Harbaugh? I dunno but it was the worst call ever there had to be something a HC could do. I mean it was insane.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PH gets gameball. Toughest dam player ive ever seen, even AD.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

FailedtoOpen wrote:I feel like Alex Smith handed the Vikings the game. Not to say the Vikings didn't play amazing against a very strong team. But the Vikings defense has this remarkable ability to never punish the other team for their mistakes. The Vikings defense has to be one of the most forgiving defenses in the NFL. A QB like Rodgers will not make easy mistakes that allow for a drive to die, or throw the ball directly to a DB.

Other then that the 4th and 1 call was huge, probably game making. The reffing was terrible for both parties involved. The last 5 minutes was probably the sloppiest football I've seen in a long time in which neither team wanted the ball... and Harvin is a stud.
As Jim said in the OP this game doesn't mean all of our problems are suddenly going to be completely solved, but it should show that we're working our way there and hopefully this is a glimpse of things to come. A.Smith could have hit moss for that TD and so on but this is why you have to play the games.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

Ponder may never throw for 400 yards in one game all season, but that really doesn't matter. Making good decisions and moving chains always produces more wins than the occasional stat-inflation game. Tom Brady, Troy Aikman, and Joe Montana would probably agree, too.

Despite the refs, the Vikings just won a game they were given no chance to win, and they REALLY pissed off Jim Harbaugh. That should account for two wins on the season.

Considering that Jacksonville beat Indianapolis, the Vikings beat Jacksonville, and the Vikings beat San Fran, it kinda makes that Indy game look like the team just shot themselves in the foot that much more...and that they are NOT a bad team after all.

Also...Blair Walsh is 3-3 from past 50 yards on the season. I don't remember a Vikings kicker that has done that in the past 30 years. Not even Fuad. Maybe Fred Cox? Don't think they kept a lot of those stats back in those days. See? Drafting a kicker isn't always a bad idea, especially if you have a huge trove of draft picks. Drafting a punter, though, is always wrong. Unless it was Ray Guy (or maybe Darren Bennett).

Oh, yeah, Percy Harvin is the best player on the Vikings. Until Adrian is fully healed. He doesn't seem like he is yet, but Harvin is pure awesome. Without Harvin, this team would be 0-3, period.
-Rus
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Ponder was excellent today. Great decisions, great poise, stepped up in the pocket when he needed to, ran when he needed to, threw it away when he needed to. All three touchdowns were pretty amazing.

As others have said, Percy is just phenomenal. I can't imagine a player more valuable to his team right now.

The defense was outstanding today. Lots of contributors, including Jasper Brinkley, Chad Greenway, Harrison Smith and others. And an interception ... break out the champagne!

Blair Walsh's field goal ... he didn't even hit it that well (for him), and it still went through easily. Gotta watch those line-drive kickoffs, though.

Randy Moss was spotted sulking at the end of the bench away from his teammates during a fourth quarter in which he was benched. Can we officially acknowledge that Moss is no longer relevant?

AP only had a couple of really good runs, but I'm encouraged that he had 25 carries. He's not quite there yet, but he's playing well. Also had a couple of catches today.

Toby Gerhart ... wtf? Dude, three fumbles in four touches? Get a grip. Literally.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.