Vikes/49ers Post-game thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

BGM
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikes/49ers Post-game thoughts

Post by BGM »

Rus wrote:
Also...Blair Walsh is 3-3 from past 50 yards on the season. I don't remember a Vikings kicker that has done that in the past 30 years. Not even Fuad. Maybe Fred Cox?
Blair Walsh set a franchise record today. No Vikings kicker has EVER hit a 50+ yard FG in 3 consecutive games. And he did it in his first 3 games in the NFL!!! :shock:
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Ok, just because I picked the Vikes to upset the Niners, I feel the need to balance my optimism with one slightly negative observation. Ponder still has a little trouble with pressure in the pocket. He does dance a bit when the pocket pressures in on him. Could be that he just shows it more than other QBs, but I really noticed it today for some reason. Still, he did so many things well today that it seems like a quibble to point it out...
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

If Jenkins wasn't a clod-hopper, there would be no reason for you to pull your hair out.
It was more than one play but that was the big one.

Speaking of Jenkins, now that Simpson is back hopefully he hits the unemployment lines...
radar55
All Pro Elite Player

Post by radar55 »

After lasts weeks loss to Indy I looked at this game as being nothing more than an opportunity to make some easy money on the vegas line. I was (all be it sarcastic and frustrated by the 1st 2 games) one of those who said we would'nt cross mid field against the 49's D and that our D would'nt be able to keep the 49's offense under 30.

So, due to the incredible and well deserved win........I am here to accept my slice of crow from those who wish to serve it up

p.s. I never put any money on the game because SPORTS BETTING IS ILLEGAL HERE
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I agree. Is there a source of some kind for that info?
I did not see it myself.
Dan Hanzus of NFL.com wrote:According to Tom Pelissero of ESPN Twin Cities, Moss was seen sitting on the bench away from his teammates after being pulled in the fourth quarter. If this all seems familiar to you, it should.
Full article.

What I did see was Moss alligator-arming a ball, and not jumping for two others that he supposedly can still go get.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
admvp
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by admvp »

808vikingsfan wrote:zero sacks. Credit to Ponder and the Oline.

It's funny what one win can do. There were no expectations at all. Now, I expect them to win next week. So much for a stress free season.
Hmmm. I wanna say I'm with you. But only part of me feels the same. I'm starting to wonder if this is more of a 'home vs. road' sort of thing. Because as good as we looked today against an AWESOME 49ers team, we looked just as bad against a TERRIBLE Colts team. Particularly offensively, and even more so when you consider how bad the Colts are defensively.

So again, I wonder if this team just has trouble on the road. That's why I'm still skeptical of this week's game in Detroit. Yeah, the Lions have looked bad so far, and yeah, it's a very winnable game, but can our guys handle being on the road yet? Can they handle hostile environments? They've been on the road once this year, against one of the worst defenses and overall teams in the NFL, and they failed that test miserably.

Until we do it on the road (which will hopefully be Sunday), I'm going to remain grounded as to my hopes for this team. But man, was today fun! :beerchug:
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I was one of the fans who was down on the team prior to this game, and while the team still has obvious warts, this was the sort of game that raises hopes for the rest of the season. I mean yes, the 49ers just beat what many consider to be the 2 best teams in the NFC North back-to-back and may have relaxed a bit after those high-profile contests, but even so, the Vikings came to play today in every phase of the game. A few quick notes:

The Good:
- Christian Ponder made some really nice reads and throws today. That out to Harvin over the defender was a beauty. Hit him in stride and made sure the 49ers knew the Vikes would try not to just go deep, but test the width of the field as well. That was exactly the sort of throw I'd been looking for and what a nice catch by Harvin. I was also very impressed by Ponder's read on the TD run. However, there were still flaws in Ponder's performance, and I'll get to those in a minute.
- The run game. The 49ers have a very active, quick front 7 and had switched from their pass-oriented 3-4 they used against the Packers and Lions to what is arguably their stronger, run-oriented 4-3. To run today against that front the Vikings had to block very well and be very physical up front, and not only did they do it consistently, they did it without any holding calls that I remember. The 49ers kept the YPC down - the Vikes didn't have any big runs beyond Ponder's, but the 49ers couldn't stop the Vikings on the ground, either. Being able to grind out the yards in the run game tilted time of possession in the Vikings favor and made the play-action more effective. It was, as the announcers noted, the exact formula the 49ers had used to beat both the Packers and Lions, only in this game the Vikings showed that when they execute they are capable of doing it as well as anyone. Given that Jerome Simpson is set to return, the Vikings have to be extremely confident they can get it done up front while on offense. This was just a very solid effort overall on offense considering the opponent.
- Penalties, or lack thereof, and execution miscues were minimal. The team didn't shoot themselves in the foot.
- Blair Walsh. I'll tell you what, if this season comes down to a long field goal I won't be worried. I don't know how the Vikings found this guy, but he is pretty amazing.

The Bad:
- Ponder made a lot of solid decisions, but he made his 2nd TD pass much harder than it needed to be by going to a covered Rudolph instead of a wide open, hands-waving-in-the-air AD. AD gets a ton of attention from most defenses as a runner, but he often seems to be left wide open by most defenses if he doesn't get the handoff. That's something the Vikings should notice and take advantage of more IMHO unless AD really can't catch.
- Defensive stops. I thought the defense did a pretty solid overall job on 1st and 2nd downs, but once again struggled to get off the field on 3rd down. They were better at it in this game than in the 1st two games, but they're going to have to continue to improve in this area if they want to beat their divisional rivals.

The Ugly:
- Gerhart played like 5 snaps late and fumbled on 3 of them. Maybe the first one wasn't truly a fumble and he fell on another one, but that is just plain bad.
- Frazier doesn't yank Gerhart after fumble #2. AD hit his "pitch count" I'm sure and Gerhart is normally reliable, but something wasn't right and Frazier can't afford to let a single player screw up like that, especially when the rest of the team played so well and the refs were already doing their best (albeit unintentionally) to cost the Vikings the game by handing Harbaugh challenges he didn't have.
- I know the Vikes got a pick and this might be just nitpicking, but Smith pretty much threw the ball right to Robinson. I'm still waiting for a Viking DB to jump a route and earn a pick the hard way by actually defending a pass.

I really want to avoid getting overly excited after a game like this because it's very possible the 49ers just let up a little too much after their first two games and given that the Vikings don't get much respect. OTOH, Ponder is making plays and I don't care how much the 49ers might have relaxed - the offensive line executed and kept Ponder pretty clean while opening enough room for AD to keep the chains moving. Also, there was no major period of time when the offense bogged down. Other than one 3-and-out to start the 2nd half I thought the offense kept the pressure on the 49ers consistently and that made the defense's job much easier. We'll see how they do on the road against a Lions team that really needs a win after a tight loss to the Titans, but today was an encouraging, if not unexpected, turn of events for the Vikings. Let's hope they continue to surprise to the upside, keep the penalties and mistakes down, and show more confidence in their game.
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

VikingLord wrote:The Bad:
- Ponder made a lot of solid decisions, but he made his 2nd TD pass much harder than it needed to be by going to a covered Rudolph instead of a wide open, hands-waving-in-the-air AD. AD gets a ton of attention from most defenses as a runner, but he often seems to be left wide open by most defenses if he doesn't get the handoff. That's something the Vikings should notice and take advantage of more IMHO unless AD really can't catch.
Agreed. I understand the pressure and having to get rid of the ball quick, but that's something he's missed for a second time in 2 games. The other was against the Colts when he threw the ball into the back corner of the end zone to a covered Rudolph when he had a wide open Ellison(?) underneath. I'm confident he'll get that worked out, but it's something to keep an eye on.

One of my other knocks on Ponder today was when he rolled out to his right and threw the ball across his body back towards the middle. Luckily both passes were completed, but let's not make it a habit.
________________________________________________________________________________
  • I'm definitely impressed with Ponder's performance and how improved he's looked this year.
  • Long sustained drives that ended in touchdowns.
  • Good mix of rushing and passing. Didn't abandon the run.
  • The defense made stops when they had to and created turnovers.
  • The way Greenway is playing this year is what I was waiting for all last season.
  • Only one penalty against the Vikings.
  • Special Teams coverage needs some work but I'm loving the two blocked kicks they have this season.
  • Vikings were the more physical team on both offense and defense.
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

The metrodome is still a tough place to play for any team. vikings beat a fantastic team. Be nice to go 8-8. :rock:
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Purple bruise wrote: :point: I like that a whole lot :!:
Yup. It made my morning, too. Thanks HM.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

I heard Antoine Winfield gave an emotional speech this past week in the locker room over the tragedy of his brother and all.
I'm not a big fan of believing in inspirational speeches. Every team has to have a guy who steps into that role. I've been that guy on occasion, with my sports teams - and sometimes it seems to work. But I thought the difference was that he challenged the younger players to be mentally ready to play (not just physically). ...That professional football was a lot of studying, looking for tendencies, and that you can't just get along by showing up and letting your body take over. And then the Vikes come out and play a pretty technically solid game. I didn't see a lot of mental errors out there. And I really liked Ponder taking charge of the offense with the audibles.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:MAN what a game to be at. This would have been the best game I have ever attended at the Metrodome had I not been at the 2009 49ers game. Greg Lewis literally caught the game winning touchdown in front of me.

Anyway, even though the Dome had plenty of empty seats it was rocking today. I really don't have too much to say other than I have no voice (as usual after a visit to the Metrodome) and I loved seeing Randy Moss play. I definitely got the best of both worlds today.
If those are the only two games you have ever attended, and the Vikes play like that when you are there, I think we should have the board chip in and buy season tickets so you can be at every game! :lol:

Congrats, glad it was a great game for you...
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Your post (in it's entirety) was a good, objective, andn thorough assessment of what was good and bad in the Vikings performance yesterday. So forgive me for only quoting the small portion of the post that I wanted to offer a slightly different take:
VikingLord wrote: The Bad:

- I know the Vikes got a pick and this might be just nitpicking, but Smith pretty much threw the ball right to Robinson. I'm still waiting for a Viking DB to jump a route and earn a pick the hard way by actually defending a pass.
While that is true the INT was basically thrown to him, that happens with many interceptions. Whether it is because the QB does not recognize the coverage, or the QB makes a mental mistake, or some other factor, it is not an uncommon occurance in the NFL. Ponder himself threw one such pass in the game and the SF DB dropped it. Prior to todays game, we'd had other opportunities to take a "gift" interception and the DB just dropped it too. So, while it's not a DB reading a route and "jumping it," the most important part of an INT is just simply catching the ball. I know, I know: "Thank you, Mr. Obvious - You're a genius" :lol: But the fact remains, this is the first time the Vikes have had an INT in a while. I'm not saying there's not room to improve, I'm just saying that I see that as a step in the right direction. I would have lumped that into the "good" category even though the Vikes obviously still need to improve...
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

Wow. Not only wow for the Vikes performance but wow for the fan reactions.

Literally the ONLY fans who thought the Vikes would win this game are the fans that think the Vikes will win EVERY game. So poo-pooing any naysayers really just boils down to a matter of degree. EVERY rational fan was a naysayer before this game to some degree. Fans had a right to be more pessimistic than optimistic.

Now, as far as this game goes, I say get as deliriously giddy as your personality will allow. I like the unabashed "Ponder could be top 10" type talk. I also don't mind anyone claiming it was smoke and mirrors. Fans SHOULD be excited over this win, and I say have at it.

However, and you knew there was a however coming, some of the critical plays that allowed us to win this game fall in the category of "rarely repeatable" in my book. Ponder throwing across his body with both feet off the ground and hitting a perfect TD pass? Loved seeing him do it but if he can repeat it consistently you can forget top 10, he'd be the best of all time. His TD scamper? Fantastic! Not exactly the meat of anyone's playbook however. One handed TD pass receptions while another player is wide open? Alex Smith throwing an absolutely horrible ball for a critical INT? Getting away with three fumbles in the 4th qtr of a tight game? Hmmm.

I know this is how games are played and won, but there are plays that make you feel your team has a solid core built to win in any conditions and then there are plays where you say "holy guacamole, I need to see the replay on that one!". The latter are a blast to watch if they go in your favor but they don't do much for my faith in consistent wins.

All in all I was thrilled with the win. The game was a blast to watch. And for me the absolute best best best part of this game was that I could see the Vikings players truly felt they could win this game. That seems a HUGE step forward. And this game certainly made every Vikes fan yell at the TV at some point, I guarantee it, and that is what investing time and emotion into a team is all about.

For me the game was a great data point, which may or may not be succeeded by further great data points. Early line says we are a 7.5 dog to the Lions (don't know if that will hinge on Stafford's injury), so obviously the rest of the world has not caught Purple Fever just yet.

We have a LOT of things to work on to become consistently good play-to-play and drive-to-drive. Can we play like this again? I don't know – some of those magical plays typically do not work out in successive games. But I can sure hope.

So for now I am as giddy as the rest of you!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

psjordan wrote:Wow. Not only wow for the Vikes performance but wow for the fan reactions.

Literally the ONLY fans who thought the Vikes would win this game are the fans that think the Vikes will win EVERY game. So poo-pooing any naysayers really just boils down to a matter of degree. EVERY rational fan was a naysayer before this game to some degree. Fans had a right to be more pessimistic than optimistic.

Now, as far as this game goes, I say get as deliriously giddy as your personality will allow. I like the unabashed "Ponder could be top 10" type talk. I also don't mind anyone claiming it was smoke and mirrors. Fans SHOULD be excited over this win, and I say have at it.

However, and you knew there was a however coming, some of the critical plays that allowed us to win this game fall in the category of "rarely repeatable" in my book. Ponder throwing across his body with both feet off the ground and hitting a perfect TD pass? Loved seeing him do it but if he can repeat it consistently you can forget top 10, he'd be the best of all time. His TD scamper? Fantastic! Not exactly the meat of anyone's playbook however. One handed TD pass receptions while another player is wide open? Alex Smith throwing an absolutely horrible ball for a critical INT? Getting away with three fumbles in the 4th qtr of a tight game? Hmmm.

I know this is how games are played and won, but there are plays that make you feel your team has a solid core built to win in any conditions and then there are plays where you say "holy guacamole, I need to see the replay on that one!". The latter are a blast to watch if they go in your favor but they don't do much for my faith in consistent wins.

All in all I was thrilled with the win. The game was a blast to watch. And for me the absolute best best best part of this game was that I could see the Vikings players truly felt they could win this game. That seems a HUGE step forward. And this game certainly made every Vikes fan yell at the TV at some point, I guarantee it, and that is what investing time and emotion into a team is all about.

For me the game was a great data point, which may or may not be succeeded by further great data points. Early line says we are a 7.5 dog to the Lions (don't know if that will hinge on Stafford's injury), so obviously the rest of the world has not caught Purple Fever just yet.

We have a LOT of things to work on to become consistently good play-to-play and drive-to-drive. Can we play like this again? I don't know – some of those magical plays typically do not work out in successive games. But I can sure hope.

So for now I am as giddy as the rest of you!

I think two of your main points are not coincidental, but rather very closely related. 1. The Vikings BELIEVED they could win (and played like it) 2. They pulled off plays that appeared improbable (especially to anyone who's been paying attention to Vike's football the past few years). In order to make amazing plays you have to first believe you can. I agree with most of your post, but I think in order for these extraordinary plays to occur we did execute on some very quotidian aspects of the game--like OL play, solid secondary play (!!!), nice play-calling (!!!!).