Musgrave wrote the book on quarterbacking

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Musgrave wrote the book on quarterbacking

Post by dead_poet »

Unleash the snark!

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... ml?refer=y
“There’s definitely a lot going on in Bill Musgrave’s head,” says receiver Percy Harvin, a rare athlete who has become a virtual science project in Musgrave’s Winter Park laboratory. “Just a lot of creativity going on up there.”

Creative describes one particularly memorable offensive meeting at training camp in Mankato last month. After an especially lethargic effort by the offense, an angry Musgrave, who’s even-keeled but capable of snapping on occasion, got an idea as he walked across campus toward the meeting room. He began gathering leaves, wood chips and sticks. Then he filled a small garbage can with water and came into the meeting room with both arms full.

“He put all the leaves and sticks and stuff right there on the table,” Ponder said. “He was talking about how the offense is responsible for starting the fire. He kept trying to start it and then he pulled out a lighter.

“I’m thinking, 'No way he lights it.’ Then he lights it. And then I’m thinking, 'How big would this be if he can’t put it out and he brings down the whole building?’ But he threw the water on it. It was definitely a Bill Musgrave thing to do.”

Musgrave said props are a part of getting through to today’s young people. Mission accomplished, according to Harvin.

“You know why I like Musgrave,” Harvin asked. “Because he’s not just standing up there going, 'Blah, blah, blah’ while nobody’s listening.”
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Musgrave wrote the book on quarterbacking

Post by Mothman »

I read that this morning. It provides a nice bit of insight into Musgrave's mind. I loved that bit you quoted.