3 Reasons for Optimism & 3 Reasons to go "uh-oh"

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

3 Reasons for Optimism & 3 Reasons to go "uh-oh"

Post by dead_poet »

I found #2 to be interesting. :o

VIKINGS THREE REASONS FOR OPTIMISM
1, Ponder’s 2 for 2: Once again, the No. 1 priority this season isn’t the playoffs. It’s 16 opportunities to see whether Christian Ponder is the answer at quarterback for the next decade or so. Through two games, he’s 2 for 2. Yes, he’s started slow in both games. But he’s making the Vikings tough to beat by how he’s finishing games. The ridiculous comeback win in Week 1 was followed by a 14-point rally in the final five minutes on the road against the Colts. The Vikings didn’t win and Ponder wasn’t perfect. But he performed well enough in the clutch to win the game or at least take it to overtime.

2, Simpson’s return is a week away: It’s actually a good thing that Ponder isn’t forcing the ball downfield. Why? Because NO ONE IS OPEN. At least not consistently open. This is the beauty of second guessing. If Ponder doesn’t force the ball down the field, we say he needs to take chances. If Ponder does force the ball down the field and gets picked off three times, we say he should be more careful with the ball. Right now, through two games, people should be happy that he’s taking care of the ball for the most part (two sure INTs have been dropped) and leads the league in completion percentage (75.8 ). Next week is when the deep ball could return on a more consistent basis. That’s when Jerome Simpson returns from his suspension. He was brought in for the sole purpose of stretching the field. Let’s wait to judge the deep passing game until he’s actually on the field.

3, Run defense (so far): One of the biggest concerns coming into the season was the run defense and how the new faces at nose tackle (Letroy Guion) and middle linebacker (Jasper Brinkley) would hold up. Through two games, the Vikings rank seventh in average yards per rush (3.1). I know, I know. Stopping the Jags with a rusty Maurice Jones-Drew and the Colts is a lot easier than stopping Frank Gore and the 49ers’ offensive line.
http://www.startribune.com/blogs/56735627.html
Last edited by dead_poet on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 3 Reasons for Optimism & 3 Reasons to go "uh-oh"

Post by dead_poet »

THREE REASONS TO GO `UH-OH’
1, Pass defense: Injuries and Chris Cook’s legal woes were the viable excuses for last year’s monumental collapse of the Vikings’ secondary. This year, there are no excuses. Antoine Winfield and Cook are back. Significant upgrades were made with Harrison Smith and Josh Robinson via the draft. Yet the Vikings still have no interceptions and played horrendous pass defense at the end of each half against the Colts. One led to a 30-yard touchdown pass before halftime while the other led to a game-winning 53-yard field goal. The playmakers are supposedly in place. Time to make a play, fellas.

2, Penalties, penalties, penalties: Bad teams make a lot of penalties and then spend the next six days talking about how they need to fix it. Then they usually start all over again by making a lot more penalties the following week. It’s a brutal cycle for the players and for anyone who’s heard it a million times before. The Vikings had 11 penalties on Sunday and have spent the next five days talking about it. How will they react this Sunday when it really matters?

3, Linebacker depth: Erin Henderson’s concussion reminds us just how thin the Vikings are beyond their starting linebackers. Henderson isn’t Lawrence Taylor in his prime, but he’s a valuable starter and the team’s middle-linebacker in the nickel. If he can’t play, Marvin Mitchell, a free-agent signing this past offseason, would have to start at weak-side linebacker and Jasper Brinkley would have to stay on the field in nickel situations. Mitchell is a six-year pro who has started all of two games.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote:I found #2 to be interesting. :o

Regarding 2, I can't wait for Simpson to return. I hope that Jarius Wright comes back as well. Simpson can't magically give the Vikings a downfield attack on his own but he is a threat. If the Vikings can get Harvin and Wright deeper as well, possibly at the same time Simpson runs a fly out, it could make opposing defenses think twice about stacking their safeties in the box to stop Adrian Peterson. At least I hope so.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Thanks for the snippets. I agree with all six points (3 good and 3 bad) with the exception that on the good side, I think the Rush Defense being good is a bit of a stretch. I know the stats back it up, but we'll see as the season progresses. They just don't look as dominant in years past agains the run as they previously had...
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Just Me wrote:Thanks for the snippets. I agree with all six points (3 good and 3 bad) with the exception that on the good side, I think the Rush Defense being good is a bit of a stretch. I know the stats back it up, but we'll see as the season progresses. They just don't look as dominant in years past agains the run as they previously had...
That's true, but dominant is a level above good, isn't it? ;) If I remember correctly, several years ago, when Pat Williams was on the team, the Vikings were stuffing running games at an almost record-setting pace. We were probably a bit spoiled by that.

What I find impressive about the run defense stats for the Vikes thus far is that only 4 teams in the league have faced more rushing attempts than the Vikings over the first two weeks and yet the Vikes are ranked 7th in average yards allowed per carry (3.1) and 12th in rushing yards allowed. Teams are trying to run the ball against them and finding it tough.

Of course, the 49ers running game will be an enormous challenge to stop so the Vikes rankings may drop after this week.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:I found #2 to be interesting. :o

That is so true. It's a lot easier to play QB or offensive coordinator from the coach and we all do it.

Thanks for the link! I think all 6 points were well made.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Mothman wrote: That's true, but dominant is a level above good, isn't it? ;) If I remember correctly, several years ago, when Pat Williams was on the team, the Vikings were stuffing running games at an almost record-setting pace. We were probably a bit spoiled by that.
:D Yes you have me there. You can be good with out being dominant (or great). Let me re-phrase: I'm not sure that we are as good against the run as the current stats would lead us to believe. I think we are in the "average" category (not bad, but not really good either) just based on the "sight test". I wouldn't have guessed we were 7th though, so perhaps my perception is biased.

It might very well come down to "being spoiled" in years past when the Vikings were dominant (against the run anyway.) There are days I miss Phat Pat in the middle <sigh>.
Mothman wrote:Of course, the 49ers running game will be an enormous challenge to stop so the Vikes rankings may drop after this week.
We shall see. I fear what their passing game will do to us more than I fear their running game, though....
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Just Me wrote:We shall see. I fear what their passing game will do to us more than I fear their running game, though....
I fear it all! :)

I don't know how the Vikes will contain Vernon Davis, especially if Henderson is out, but SF's gaudy 5.7 ypc rushing average (on 59 attempts!) is pretty scary, especially because the Vikes defense has already shown a tendency to give up long, time-consuming drives this year. I hope the 49ers don't dominate time of possession on Sunday.

I know it's not what fans want to see but the Vikes might be wise to continue running and throwing a fair amount of short passes this weekend if they can sustain drives and rest their defense that way. They can't be so conservative that it hurts them so they need to challenge SF down the field more than they challenged Indianapolis but coming out too aggressive in the passing game could be risky. If they go three and out on the first few possessions it might get them in real trouble. I feel the Vikes have a better chance to win a low scoring game than a high scoring game against a team like San Francisco.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Mothman wrote: I fear it all! :)

I don't know how the Vikes will contain Vernon Davis, especially if Henderson is out, but SF's gaudy 5.7 ypc rushing average (on 59 attempts!) is pretty scary, especially because the Vikes defense has already shown a tendency to give up long, time-consuming drives this year. I hope the 49ers don't dominate time of possession on Sunday.

I know it's not what fans want to see but the Vikes might be wise to continue running and throwing a fair amount of short passes this weekend if they can sustain drives and rest their defense that way. They can't be so conservative that it hurts them so they need to challenge SF down the field more than they challenged Indianapolis but coming out too aggressive in the passing game could be risky. If they go three and out on the first few possessions it might get them in real trouble. I feel the Vikes have a better chance to win a low scoring game than a high scoring game against a team like San Francisco.
I agree. And to clarify: It's not that I don't think SF can run against us, I fear that they will be so efffective ( in a 5 ypc sense) that play-action passes will make short drives for TDs which otherwise would have been long drives...for....well TDs. :yawn:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Just Me wrote:I agree. And to clarify: It's not that I don't think SF can run against us, I fear that they will be so efffective ( in a 5 ypc sense) that play-action passes will make short drives for TDs which otherwise would have been long drives...for....well TDs. :yawn:
LOL! I understand.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:I don't know how the Vikes will contain Vernon Davis, especially if Henderson is out, but SF's gaudy 5.7 ypc rushing average (on 59 attempts!) is pretty scary, especially because the Vikes defense has already shown a tendency to give up long, time-consuming drives this year. I hope the 49ers don't dominate time of possession on Sunday.

Not to oversimplify this but if the game comes down to SF scoring whenever they have the ball and Vikings punting when they have it, it won't matter what the clock says.

I don't know have any answers. Should the Vikings come out winging the ball around, throwing caution to the wind? I don't see that working. But if the Vikings play ultra-conservative ball, the only team they'll outsmart will be themselves. So that won't work either. Somehow the Vikings have to show a lot more balance, including the capability for a quick strike, than they recently did against two teams not up to the Niners level in quality.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:Not to oversimplify this but if the game comes down to SF scoring whenever they have the ball and Vikings punting when they have it, it won't matter what the clock says.
I can't argue with logic like that! :)
I don't know have any answers. Should the Vikings come out winging the ball around, throwing caution to the wind? I don't see that working. But if the Vikings play ultra-conservative ball, the only team they'll outsmart will be themselves. So that won't work either. Somehow the Vikings have to show a lot more balance, including the capability for a quick strike, than they recently did against two teams not up to the Niners level in quality.
Agreed. They need to be unpredictable. If they're going to be conservative for stretches of the game on offense, they need to be effective enough with those plays to use them to set up something bigger. They have to find a way to get 49ers defense uncomfortable and guessing. Easier said than done, I'm sure...

Defensively, they need to find ways to get off the field on third down and a few takeaways would greatly improve their chances to win.

Above all, they have to avoid turnovers and costly mistakes. They've committed far too many penalties in the first two weeks of the season.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Week 5 edition

THREE REASONS FOR OPTIMISM
1, Ponder’s 4 for 4: Like we said last week, we’ll keep this No. 1 until quarterback Christian Ponder puts up a clunker. Part of his impressive development in Year 2 is his full understanding of his team’s power-running identity. Power-running teams don’t sling the ball with hopes that the reward will miraculously outweigh the risk. Ponder’s understanding of that was on display during a win at Detroit in which he threw for only 111 yards and a 71.2 passer rating. To me, those lousy numbers are overshadowed by the fact he’s the only starting QB in the league without an interception. His streak of passes without a pick is 124, including 123 this year.
THREE REASONS TO GO `UH-OH’
Favored by 5 1/2: A team’s expectations can’t change any more dramatically in four weeks than they have for the Vikings since the start of the season. Four weeks ago, they were a rebuilding team looking to 2013 while the bullies of the NFC North fought amongst themselves. Today, with three of their next four games at home, the Vikings are expected to head into November still atop the division. But what happens when a team that’s grabbed the league’s attention with consecutive upsets is the favored one.

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Week 5 edition

THREE REASONS FOR OPTIMISM THREE REASONS TO GO `UH-OH’
Thanks for the link. He makes some great points in both categories. I love the positive point about depth, which has been a pleasant surprise the last few weeks. Sanford has been very good and if he keeps playing like he has the last two games, I don't see how they can sit him back down for Raymond.

I love Mark Craig's point about the Vikes ability to run last week against 8 and 9 man fronts. That was impressive.

I think we're all curious to see how the Vikings perform this week and moving forward now that expectations have been significantly raised and the Lions ability to "bracket" Harvin (as Craig put it) definitely means the Vikes have to start finding more ways to move the ball... and ways to take advantage of the extra attention Harvin is drawing. I think we saw them testing some strategies a little last week when Simpson was targeted at least 5 or 6 times and, if I'm not mistaken, Peterson caught 4 passes. If teams continue to focus on Harvin, I expect Ponder to spread the ball around more.

Regarding the first "reason for optimism": I feel like some things are getting lost in all the consternation over the lack of big passing plays down the field, the short passing game, the sometimes conservative offense, etc. The Vikes will need to score more points in some games to win but their offensive strategy thus far has minimized turnovers, given their defense a chance to rest and stay relatively fresh in games, helped prevent their QB from taking a lot of punishment and (I suspect) helped their revamped o-line get acclimated. I'm not sure they'd be a 3-1 team right now if they'd been employing an aggressive, wide open passing strategy in their first 4 games.

Keeping turnovers to a minimum has really been huge especially because the defense hasn't forced too many. Sanford's helping that, with 2 forced fumbles in 2 games but the DBs need to start turning potential INTs into actual INTs.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

The OL is much improved and did not give up a sack against Detroit last week

Simpson seems to be adding to our offense ans stretching the field.

Our secondary seems to be not giving up as much deep this year(Harrison Smith).

Ponder still has not thrown for big yardage very much.. Can we keep up with GB in a game ?

Our LB are playing hard, but still show weakness against the short pass at times

injuries we have already lost players I wouldn't want to see the injury bite us anymore
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!