Behind Enemy Lines: San Francisco Edition

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Behind Enemy Lines: San Francisco Edition

Post by dead_poet »

Warning: this is kind of scary.

A sample:
1) The 49ers’ defense has been in a groove. Which could be scary for a Vikings offense that has scored only 13 points before halftime the first two weeks.

Here were Matthew Stafford’s first half numbers last weekend against San Francisco: 7-for-16, 67 yards, no touchdowns, one interception.

Calvin Johnson, meanwhile, had just three catches for 36 yards before the break.

In Week 1, San Francisco forced Green Bay to punt six times in its first seven possessions, continuing to play with a relentless edge. The 49ers’ front seven in their 3-4 defense, led by defensive tackle Justin Smith and linebacker Patrick Willis, has been both stingy and opportunistic.

The Packers only managed 45 yards rushing in the opener, their longest rush a 9-yard scramble by Aaron Rodgers. Detroit averaged just 3.2 yards on its 26 rushes with Stafford delivering the long rush for 11 yards.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 40876.html

Of course, if we can do better than that against them it will obviously mean we're a better team than Green Bay and Detroit.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Behind Enemy Lines: San Francisco Edition

Post by cstelter »

Probably the best think the Vikings have going for them is that they have 2 full games worth of footage to study-- something neither DET or GB had.
Craig S
canadaviking08
Franchise Player

Post by canadaviking08 »

cstelter wrote:Probably the best think the Vikings have going for them is that they have 2 full games worth of footage to study-- something neither DET or GB had.
they could have 10 and i dont think it would matter. expecting the worst but i am hoping for the best
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Seifert's take:
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- I dropped by the Minnesota Vikings' practice facility Thursday and heard something I wasn't expecting: Tailback Adrian Peterson lobbying the Vikings to throw the ball downfield more often.

Peterson has always been a single-minded devotee of the power run game, but even he realizes the Vikings have little chance to run effectively Sunday if they let the San Francisco 49ers' stout defense sit on the line of scrimmage. The 49ers have stymied the Green Bay Packers and Detroit Lions' rushing attacks even while aligned with deep safeties and no more than seven men on the line of scrimmage. Imagine what they could do against the Vikings when stacking against the run and, presumably, disregarding the threat of a downfield pass.

Based on how the Vikings have played their first two games, the 49ers have no reason to push their safeties deep as they did against the Packers and Lions. They might as well put as many defenders as necessary at the line of scrimmage to shut down Peterson, who has struggled in two previous appearances against the 49ers. Only three other teams have held him to a lower average yards per game (44.0) in his career, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

"These guys are good," Peterson said. "We're looking forward to the challenge. I don't think they've faced a run-attack offense like we have, so I think that can switch things up. … I'm sure they'll come in focused on trying to stop the run. That's where we've got to be productive offensively, keep those guys honest and complete some balls down the field, and then still run the ball."

Peterson added: "That's something we want to do: get the passing game going a little more with those deep balls and spread those defensive backs out some. I feel we'll be able to do that this week."

The Vikings are fairly undermanned when it comes to downfield threats, especially as Jerome Simpson serves the third and final game of his NFL suspension. To be fair, though, they've barely tried to test the defenses they've faced.

Only three of quarterback Christian Ponder's 62 passes have traveled more than 20 yards in the air, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Two fell incomplete, and the third was a 24-yard pass to receiver Devin Aromashodu during the desperate final seconds of regulation in their eventual Week 1 victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave told reporters that "we definitely want to have more chunks going forward" and blamed himself for not providing Ponder better play-calling options in that regard. It would make sense for the Vikings to push the ball downfield more often, but we'll kindly say that the matchups don't appear to be in their favor this week.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... or-vikings

---
I'm starting to see both perspectives on the deep pass vs. the 49ers. On one hand, it could help take pressure off the run game and loosen things up. On the other, it could lead to sacks, third-and-long situations and turnovers. Here's what I do: lots of play-action, lots of roll-outs. I really like the way the Redskins have been using RGIII. Keep Ponder clean, use some misdirection, maybe some delays, draws and screen passes too to keep them guessing. We really haven't seen a lot of play-action this season (though, IMO I don't think we've seen enough of that with Peterson since he was drafted). It'll be an interesting game.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
1noahz23
Rookie

Post by 1noahz23 »

Honestly, we don't stand a chance. But if we can somehow miraculously pull off this win it would mean alot for the Vikings.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I don’t presume to think our offense is as potent a passing attack as either Detroit or GB, we obviously are not. However, in both cases the 49ers faced what are at best mediocre offensive lines with very pedestrian running backs. On top of that those teams are both pass happy. Our OL isn’t great, but it is definitely better than GB and Detroit. In terms of RB, there is no comparison. I don’t know that we’ll do great, but I think matchup wise it is a completely different deal that what the 49ers saw in weeks 1 and 2. I’d like to see the Vikings pound Gerhart in this game and take it to their front 7. If we can get 3-4 yard gains it should open up the passing lanes a bit. It could be interesting to watch, although I agree with the general sentiment of our being enormous underdogs. We could surprise, you never know.

On defense I think our unit is at risk of getting exposed. Alex Smith is showing maturity and has by far the most complete set of receiving threats we’ve faced so far this season. Our defensive line really needs to make some plays for us on Sunday and limit the damage, because I think our back 7 are likely to give up some.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Musgrave blamed himself for not providing Ponder better play-calling options for downfield passes?

That's pretty interesting. Ninety percent of the Joe Schmoes on this board, me included, have been clamoring for some downfield passing to keep defenses honest ... and the actual offensive coordinator is only figuring this out AFTER the fact?

Wow.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Musgrave blamed himself for not providing Ponder better play-calling options for downfield passes?

That's pretty interesting. Ninety percent of the Joe Schmoes on this board, me included, have been clamoring for some downfield passing to keep defenses honest ... and the actual offensive coordinator is only figuring this out AFTER the fact?

Wow.
They're in full on damage control mode now. First Ponder with his company line "take what they give us" garbage. Waiting for a "it's a kick #### offense when ran correctly". Hell they're getting the insane % on first and second and that was their goal so, the offense is working?

Him and Ponder fighting to take the blame...I think it's clear they are BOTH to blame.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

mansquatch wrote:I don’t presume to think our offense is as potent a passing attack as either Detroit or GB, we obviously are not. However, in both cases the 49ers faced what are at best mediocre offensive lines with very pedestrian running backs. On top of that those teams are both pass happy. Our OL isn’t great, but it is definitely better than GB and Detroit. In terms of RB, there is no comparison. I don’t know that we’ll do great, but I think matchup wise it is a completely different deal that what the 49ers saw in weeks 1 and 2. I’d like to see the Vikings pound Gerhart in this game and take it to their front 7. If we can get 3-4 yard gains it should open up the passing lanes a bit. It could be interesting to watch, although I agree with the general sentiment of our being enormous underdogs. We could surprise, you never know.

On defense I think our unit is at risk of getting exposed. Alex Smith is showing maturity and has by far the most complete set of receiving threats we’ve faced so far this season. Our defensive line really needs to make some plays for us on Sunday and limit the damage, because I think our back 7 are likely to give up some.
If the Vikings "pound Gerhart" the only question I'll have is whether they get to 12 minutes of possession for the game. I can't think of a surer way to 3-and-out consistently than that against the 49ers.

Vikes have to scrap the notion that they have to run to set up the pass. They'll have to run, but focusing on it as they've done since Chilly came to town is only going to play into the 49ers hands. If the Vikes have any chance in this game it's going to be spreading the field and attacking all levels of it. If the 49ers can settle in an mainly worry about the run the Vikes are cooked.

Defensively, I don't think Alex Smith is the big worry. I think shutting down the 49er running game should be priority #1. Smith is a more veteran version of Ponder. He plays a nice, safe game based off the effectiveness of the run game. The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that the 49ers run an offense that Frazier and Musgrave can only dream about. However, if the Vikings can shut down the run, which is a TALL order, and put the focus on Smith somehow, I think they have a very good chance to win the game.

Needless to say, the odds of that happening are a lot worse than the odds that the Vikings offense will suddenly open things up and start passing downfield more. I fully expect the 49ers to shred the Viking defense both running and passing. The Vikings just don't have the talent to stop either aspect of the 49er offense.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Given the present condition of the passing game and the mediocrity of the team's receivers, I'm not going to predict that the Vikings will connect often when they take shots downfield. But even if Ponder has to overthrow the ball or throw it deep out of bounds because the WRs can't get separation, the Vikings have to show other teams that they will throw deep.

You know, we hear the standard "we take what the defense gives us" cliche. Okay, well, if the opposing Ds are playing the safeties up to defend against the Vikings running game, then the defense is *giving* the Vikings offense a chance to throw deep. So take the shot.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Well I'm not to worried. Packer fans and even some Packer players have stated that it was not the Niners defense that did the damage in Green Bay it was lack of execution on the Packers offense. And according to them, the Lions are not that good of a team anyway. So the Niners are way over rated. And since we all know Packer fans know everything about football they have to be right.

And Alex Smith, he's just a game manager along for the ride.

I hope the game opens like this. Ponder goes back and tosses a bomb to a wide open Jarius Wright(assuming he is playing) for a TD on the first play from scrimmage. And then the Defense gets in the act and Cook returns an INT for a td on the Niners next series.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Demi wrote: They're in full on damage control mode now. First Ponder with his company line "take what they give us" garbage. Waiting for a "it's a kick #### offense when ran correctly". Hell they're getting the insane % on first and second and that was their goal so, the offense is working?

Him and Ponder fighting to take the blame...I think it's clear they are BOTH to blame.
No one is expecting much from this team this year. The Vikes are, by all indications and acknowledgments (rerbuilding) . They have one of the youngest teams in the league with a qb that has played in 14 total games. Not many weapons, Harvin and a very suspect AD (with his recovering knee). Most fans understand that and many have predicted only a handful of wins. Now the amazing part to all of this to me anyway, is the fact that most all agree that the team is young and lacking in tallent (you have written off Ponder as a bust) but yet there seems to be some mentality at work here that expects this team to win these contests or at the very least be more competitive.
They have won one out of two games by a field goal and lost the other by the same margin. They could easily be 0-2 or 2-0 but it is true that although they beat and lost to two very low ranked teams, these are the types of teams (including the Vikes) that we all see every sunday upsetting better teams.
I would love to see what other coach or QB playing with this level of tallent could accomplish. I would guess that the outcome would be very similar or perhaps worse than what I am watching now.
I for one, am just looking for improvement from week to week and yes I am a true Ponder fan and supporter (shame on me). This is a process that will take 2 maybe 3 years to reach the point that most all of us fans are looking forward to.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Marmatag49ers
Waterboy

Post by Marmatag49ers »

You don't see a heavy dose of Gore with Alex throwing as well as he has been. Gore got like 16 and 17 carries resp. in these games, and the majority are in the second half / 4th quarter when we have a lead.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

This is a process that will take 2 maybe 3 years to reach the point that most all of us fans are looking forward to.
We were fed the same line from Childress and company when he brought in Jackson. It'll take time. 2 to 3 years.

We have the wrong coach, and quarterback, again. We'll get to 6 wins at best and both will be replaced and we'll start all over again.

Hopefully this time there will be a real reason to believe in 2 or 3 years after that we'll be where all of us fans are looking forward to...unlike now when the only reason is faith...
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Demi wrote: We were fed the same line from Childress and company when he brought in Jackson. It'll take time. 2 to 3 years.

We have the wrong coach, and quarterback, again. We'll get to 6 wins at best and both will be replaced and we'll start all over again.

Hopefully this time there will be a real reason to believe in 2 or 3 years after that we'll be where all of us fans are looking forward to...unlike now when the only reason is faith...
You really need to try get over Childress :lol: . I suspect that you hated him and probably Tice before that. You obviously have written off Ponder and this coaching staff and I am curious to know if there is a coach and or a quarterback that you might possibly like and give them time to succeed if they become Vikings?
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.