2 Vikings on PFF Rookie of the Year watch list

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

2 Vikings on PFF Rookie of the Year watch list

Post by dead_poet »

6. Matt Kalil, T, MIN (+2.9)

You’re not hearing a lot about Kalil right now and that’s a good thing as he goes about his work. Has failed to make any real impression in the run game, but with just one hurry surrendered in the opening two weeks, he’s performing as advertised.

7. Harrison Smith, S, MIN (+2.8 )

So far so good for the Vikings’ safety, with both of their first-round picks making the kind of start they’d have been hoping for. Sure there haven’t been many big plays (two pass break-ups, three defensive stops), but then there hasn’t been much going the other way. That’s big for Minnesota.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ar-week-2/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Re: 2 Vikings on PFF Rookie of the Year watch list

Post by soflavike »

Smith??? Really? He looks lost and late on most plays. Yes, he made a nice play at the end against the Jags, but other than that he's as bad as the rest of our secondary.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Uh... sorry but I must be watching a different game than you are. I have seen Smith playing heads up defense most of the time. Sure, he has had a few lapses, but that's common as a rookie. The important thing is that he is not getting burned or caught out of position on a regular basis... unlike every other Vikings safety the past few years.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

As a rookie, Smith is looking better. And even as a rookie hes playing better then anyone else that tried there.
DarthBrooks
Transition Player

Post by DarthBrooks »

Walsh has been fun. I dunno if a kicker would go on the ROTY list. Meebe if he started kicking 70 yarders.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

DarthBrooks wrote:Walsh has been fun. I dunno if a kicker would go on the ROTY list. Meebe if he started kicking 70 yarders.
He was there after week 1, but it's hard to believe he has a realistic chance. I mean, can you imagine the kind of year a kicker would need to beat out every other offensive and defensive rookie?! He'd need a 70-yarder. Probably a couple of them.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

I don't think Harrison Smith is going to wow anyone this year. If he has a solid season, Vikings fans should count their blessings.

Matt Kalil has been pretty weak in the run game. I could also have sworn that he's given up a couple of sacks already, unlike the "just one hurry" that PFF claims. I don't exactly see him on a ROY track.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Harrison Smith has been playing very well. He is exactly what we need. Someone who can cover and make the tackle should the opposition find themselves in the open field. I have really like Harrison's ability to keep the plays in front of him so far. Hopefully he can keep it up all year.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Eli wrote:I could also have sworn that he's given up a couple of sacks already, unlike the "just one hurry" that PFF claims.
Well, PFF tracks every player on every snap. I trust their evaluation. If Ponder is sacked by the right defensive tackle in, say, 5 seconds I believe that's on him, not Kalil. It's not as cut and dry as Kalil's man getting to Ponder. And also, I'm not sure Kalil has had a matchup against a Clay Matthews either (no Freeney last week), so it will be interesting if he'll be able to keep his pace against more elite pass rushers. If he can somehow not allow a sack all season while maintaining an impressive run blocking grade I can imagine he'd be in the conversation for rookie of the year. But the lack of impact plays limits his chances.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I'm glad Kalil is as advertised, however, I'm happier that Smith is performing. That is a huge improvement to an area of major need for this defense. I just hope that all of the positives can combine into an ability to get some picks for us. Regardless, very positive that a high round draft pick in the secondary is panning out. The 2nd round choices over the past few years have been performing poorly aside from Cook's flashes last year.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote:I don't think Harrison Smith is going to wow anyone this year. If he has a solid season, Vikings fans should count their blessings.

Matt Kalil has been pretty weak in the run game. I could also have sworn that he's given up a couple of sacks already, unlike the "just one hurry" that PFF claims. I don't exactly see him on a ROY track.
Kalil gave up a sack on the first series against Indy. Mathis got past him right off the snap and tackled Ponder from behind (for a 1 yard loss) after Ponder tried to escape to the right.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Saying that Smith is better than our previous safeties is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Take a look at Reggie Wayne's TD in the Indianapolis game.

What is Harrison Smith doing on this play? :confused:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0a ... yd-pass-TD
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

soflavike wrote:Saying that Smith is better than our previous safeties is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Take a look at Reggie Wayne's TD in the Indianapolis game.

What is Harrison Smith doing on this play? :confused:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0a ... yd-pass-TD

Looks to me like he started the play nearly on the line of scrimmage on the opposite side of the field, he hussled to the ball and almost got there, not sure what your point is here?
Formerly AADPFan
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

AADPFan wrote:Looks to me like he started the play nearly on the line of scrimmage on the opposite side of the field, he hussled to the ball and almost got there, not sure what your point is here?
I don't see that. I see Smith lined up 9 yards off the LOS, directly in the middle of the field. Can't see where Raymond is lined up, but it must have been nearly in the end zone seats. The Colts have a TE, and two WRs on the right (top of screen), with Wayne in the slot, and just one WR on the left. They only put three receivers into the pattern, as the TE and the RB both stayed in to block. The Vikings had _seven_ men in the secondary attempting to cover _three_ receivers. Apparently Smith turned to give deep coverage of the guy at the bottom. Raymond went the other way and was deep on the receiver at the top. Was that Winfield covering the slot? He looked completely lost as well.

I would think Smith is responsible in that situation for the center of the field. On that play if only _one_ of the cornerbacks were capable of man-to-man coverage, the Vikings should have more than had the play covered. Instead, it looked like a chinese fire drill.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Leber was on Barriero's show the other day talking about the Wayne TD. As weird as it sounds, I guess Erin was supposed to cover him on that assignment and then have safety help over the top. Raymond was out of position for sure. Then again...It was Ben Leber talking...the definition of average LB
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.