Breaking down the tape: Vikings-Colts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Breaking down the tape: Vikings-Colts

Post by Juice »

That only eight of his 39 throws (20.5%, including those wiped out by penalties) were targeted at least 14 yards downfield is a reflection not only of the trouble receivers had getting open, but the way protection broke down on numerous occasions. Not including two plays against the Colts' prevent defense in the final seconds, 10 of Ponder's 26 completions (38.5%) were caught behind the line of scrimmage and only four (15.4%) were caught at least 7 yards beyond it. Ponder bore partial responsibility for two of the four sacks, holding the ball for 5.5 and 5.6 seconds, respectively. The one that yielded his lost fumble was a protection breakdown that let two men through. Three scrambles netted only 7 yards (2.3 average). A third-down misfire before the half was more a timing issue than anything. Another third-down miss could have been placed better.Ponder otherwise was quite accurate, displaying touch to the boundaries and completing several off-balance passes, including the last touchdown. He sure would benefit from having even one more receiver capable of winning one-on-one.
More at the link:
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Brea ... olts091812
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Breaking down the tape: Vikings-Colts

Post by Crax »

Ponder is currently 12-20 this season on passes 10+ yards downfield. That article mentioned that Carlson actually got open on a few routes but wasn't thrown the ball. I hope they start looking downfield a bit more than they are. SF may be a tough game to start doing it though.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Crax wrote:Ponder is currently 12-20 this season on passes 10+ yards downfield. That article mentioned that Carlson actually got open on a few routes but wasn't thrown the ball. I hope they start looking downfield a bit more than they are. SF may be a tough game to start doing it though.
I think it will be unless they play a different defense than they've played the first two weeks. Thus far in 2012, SF has focused on taking the deep ball away and forcing opponents to throw underneath. Maybe they will challenge the Vikings to throw deep since the Vikings primary focus has been throwing short.

I expect the Vikings to open it up once Simpson is back in the lineup but they need better pass protection if they're going to use more slow-developing downfield plays.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

It will be interesting to see what the 49ers do. The problem with this offensive style is that everything is condensed at the line of scrimmag. You can go horizontal by splitting guys out, but with no credible deep threat other than Harvin the defense get cheat up and that hurts the running game. The fact that none of our WR strike any fear into opposing secondaries compounds the matter.

Part of the two TE thing is those guys going downfield and using their size advatnage to either go up for balls or create separation. That would help, espiecally if they are in favorable match up situations. I do not buy that they necessarily need a speedster. (it wouldn't hurt) The issue is guys getting separation and being open. Also, Rudolph needs to stop dropping balls.

I do not know if the above is Musgrave's fault, a limit on what Ponder can do, or an issue with our pass catchers. At this point I am leaning towards option 3, but I'm not certain.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

mansquatch wrote: Part of the two TE thing is those guys going downfield and using their size advatnage to either go up for balls or create separation. That would help, espiecally if they are in favorable match up situations.
Yep. Tony Gonzales yesterday made some good catches that really had nothing to do with blazing speed. Good routes/positioning and utilizing his size/reach seemed to be a lot of it. Obviously a special talent even at his age, but it's not all physical.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

This is just a hunch, but I think there is more to our T/E not being all over the place that what we are seeing/hearing/talking about. We hear lots of talk about potential, but it is not on the field. Carlson, despite injuries, is a proven pass catcher. Is it his lack of knowledge of the system? Is there an issue with Ponder and down field throws? Is it Musgrave?

I do not have any answers and will wait until week 5 before really getting bent out of shape about it, but something is just off with this offense right now. I have a hard time buying the line that once Simpson comes back everything will magically get better.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi