Next coach will be..........?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

yesmanfan
Backup

Re: Next coach will be..........?

Post by yesmanfan »

Falcons 3rd and 5 up 6 with the game on the line. one first down ends the game. They line up 4 wide in the shotgun and pass the ball. convert the first down and win the game.

Vikings 3rd and 6 up 5 with the game on the line. one first down ends the game. Frazier and Musgrave line up under center in a run formation (dont remember exact formation) and run the ball up the middle into a box of 8 people for no gain and punt.

Playing ultra conservative ball and playing not to lose. vs playing aggressive ball and playing to win.
yesmanfan
Backup

Post by yesmanfan »

oops double post
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

yesmanfan wrote: lol i always
you always what... :shock:
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

...saddled with the same holes, talent-wise, as the current coach. ...judged harshly unless he can immediately deliver a winning season. ...devoured by a long-suffering fan base should he playcall conservatively - or take too many risks. ...compared to Les Steckel or Brad Childress at least once in his first season. ...compared to Bud Grant or Denny Green at least once in his first season. ...vilified for throwing a challenge flag, or not throwing a challenge flag. ...lambasted for being a poor clock manager. ...plucked from the obscurity of the Vikings to win a Super Bowl coaching another team. ... second-guessed on a weekly basis. ...a players coach, or not. ...heard proclaiming any of a number of coaching cliches, including, but not limited to, "We need to execute better","They were just the better team today", and "We have some work to do".
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
yesmanfan
Backup

Post by yesmanfan »

saint33 wrote: you always what... :shock:
common man reference. its short for I always love that one. in other words, good joke.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

Perry Fewell :rock: :rock: :rock:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

yesmanfan wrote:Falcons 3rd and 5 up 6 with the game on the line. one first down ends the game. They line up 4 wide in the shotgun and pass the ball. convert the first down and win the game.

Vikings 3rd and 6 up 5 with the game on the line. one first down ends the game. Frazier and Musgrave line up under center in a run formation (dont remember exact formation) and run the ball up the middle into a box of 8 people for no gain and punt.

Playing ultra conservative ball and playing not to lose. vs playing aggressive ball and playing to win.
Atlanta has a superior receiving corps and a more experienced QB. The situations were also different. Atlanta lined up at their own 25 with 2:35 remaining. Denver had a timeout left and the two minute warning. A run (that doesn't pick up the first down) gives the ball back to Peyton Manning and the Broncos with at least 2 minutes left and the clock will stop twice.

The Vikings lined up at their own 18 with 1: 35 remaining. Jacksonville had a timeout. A run forces the Jaguars to use the timeout or allow the clock to run down to less than one minute remaining. It puts them in a much more difficult situation.

Both strategies were legitimate. The Vikings took a more conservative approach but can you imagine the howling if they had lined up to throw and given up a sack or turnover in that situation? They didn't pick up a first down but they put their defense in a good position, giving them 76 yards to defend against a team with no timeouts. The defense just blew it.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

dead_poet wrote: You're right. I shouldn't have said you were "yearning" for Childress. You simply believe he's a better head coach. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. At the end of the season I may agree with you. But I cringe at the series of events that would lead me to that conclusion.
There is no way that I will ever agree a coach is worse than Childress. Frazier could go 1-15 this year and I might agree he'd be just as worthless as Childress, but at least Frazier can handle and relate to people. Childress was an egomanical idiot that is largely responsible for the state the team is in today. It is going to take a while for us to dig out of the hole he dug. The fact that someone thinks Childress is a better coach, is that based on Childress's evaluation of QB talent? (If only we'd given TJ a chance, we might be on our way to the Super Bowl now....)
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

BS. Baldy got us wins and 1 int away from a SB. Even though I hate him, that was a great erxperience. But as usual, the Vikings let us down. Fraizer is clueless. And an idiot. I doubt he will ever manage a team to even a winning record. Put your hatred of Childress for a minute and look at how close we came with him as HC. Now look at what Fraizers has done. Even Tice sounds smarter then Fraizer. We could release Frazier (and maybe even Ponder) right now, and no one would bother to pick them up.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:It might be more interesting to start a thread about the next coach and take odds on how many games he'll get to coach before fans start posting that they want him fired!

I keep thinking about Tice's first interview after he was just hired as the Vikings HC. He was asked how long he would have to turn the team around. Tice's answer: "I hope I make it past this interview." :D
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:BS. Baldy got us wins and 1 int away from a SB.
I see. So Zygi going the Daniel Snyder route of trying to buy a team full of good players (which he did) and Brett Favre having a monster blow-out season (which he did) had nothing to do with it at all? Childress brought us the 2009 season all by his lonesome? Yeah, right.

Zygi and Favre saved Childress' smug butt in 2009. And then what did Childress do? He bickered with Favre for calling audibles, despite the fact that Favre's audibles led to touchdowns and plays that worked better than what was originally called. And then Chilly slapped Zygi in the face with the insult of cutting Randy Moss without notifying ownership. Incredible! Wilf was actually quoted as saying he considered bringing Moss back and firing Childress on the spot.

I don't know what the future will bring with Zygi and Frazier. Neither do you. We can guess but we're not psychic. I do know what the past brought us with Chilly, which is a team that fell into a ridiculously demented "all in" mantra that flat out didn't work. A large part of that failure was because Childress was a pouting prima donna jerk more interested in getting his way than seeing the team to victory.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:BS. Baldy got us wins and 1 int away from a SB. Even though I hate him, that was a great erxperience. But as usual, the Vikings let us down.
We're going to have to disagree on that. He got us 1 win away from a Super Bowl largely because Favre frequently ignored his "coaching" and we had a team stocked with talent that could overcome this moron's incompetence. We were in FIELD GOAL RANGE TO WIN THE GAME when we had the 12 man penalty. Trust me - As much as you dislike Frazier, I dislike BC (that's Bald & Clueless) X 10. We will never agree on this, but I just had to get it off my chest :steamed:

OK, where are my meds.... :wallbang:
Last edited by Just Me on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
yesmanfan
Backup

Post by yesmanfan »

Mothman wrote: Atlanta has a superior receiving corps and a more experienced QB. The situations were also different. Atlanta lined up at their own 25 with 2:35 remaining. Denver had a timeout left and the two minute warning. A run (that doesn't pick up the first down) gives the ball back to Peyton Manning and the Broncos with at least 2 minutes left and the clock will stop twice.

The Vikings lined up at their own 18 with 1: 35 remaining. Jacksonville had a timeout. A run forces the Jaguars to use the timeout or allow the clock to run down to less than one minute remaining. It puts them in a much more difficult situation.

Both strategies were legitimate. The Vikings took a more conservative approach but can you imagine the howling if they had lined up to throw and given up a sack or turnover in that situation? They didn't pick up a first down but they put their defense in a good position, giving them 76 yards to defend against a team with no timeouts. The defense just blew it.
totally disagree, frazier would completely agree with you. i stand by my post being 100% accurate.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Just Me wrote: We're going to have to disagree on that. He got us 1 win away from a Super Bowl largely because Favre frequently ignored his "coaching" and we had a team stocked with talent that could overcome this moron's incompetence. We were in FIELD GOAL RANGE TO WIN THE GAME when we had the 12 man penalty. Trust me - As much as you hate Frazier, I hate BC (that's Bald & Clueless) X 10. We will never agree on this, but I just had to get it off my chest :steamed:

OK, where are my meds.... :wallbang:
Hah, I hate him as much as you. But I do like getting to the playoffs, and Fraizer will never get us there. Reguardless of who we buy and who ignores our HCs plan.
yesmanfan
Backup

Post by yesmanfan »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:BS. Baldy got us wins and 1 int away from a SB. Even though I hate him, that was a great erxperience. But as usual, the Vikings let us down. Fraizer is clueless. And an idiot. I doubt he will ever manage a team to even a winning record. Put your hatred of Childress for a minute and look at how close we came with him as HC. Now look at what Fraizers has done. Even Tice sounds smarter then Fraizer. We could release Frazier (and maybe even Ponder) right now, and no one would bother to pick them up.
childress was a much better head coach because he understood the nfl and situational football and he wasn't stuck to some 1980's ultraconservative approach. however, childress had a fatal flaw, he was a super unlikeable person. took the attitude that i am better than you. terrible personality.