Next coach will be..........?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Next coach will be..........?

Post by Eli »

You know what? After the first three weeks of this crazy season, I'm not sure what to expect from the Vikings or just about any other team. The NFC North is looking like it's wide open now with the major problems that the Bears, Lions and Packers all have.

If the Vikings go into Detroit and pull off a victory, they could conceivably win 10 to 12 games and win the division. *IF* that happens, Leslie Frazier would be a prime candidate for NFL Coach of the Year.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Eli wrote:You know what? After the first three weeks of this crazy season, I'm not sure what to expect from the Vikings or just about any other team. The NFC North is looking like it's wide open now with the major problems that the Bears, Lions and Packers all have.

If the Vikings go into Detroit and pull off a victory, they could conceivably win 10 to 12 games and win the division. *IF* that happens, Leslie Frazier would be a prime candidate for NFL Coach of the Year.
You are correct but those certain fans would find things to complain about anyway :roll: :rofl: :rofl:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Demi wrote: Part of the reason everyone knew it was going to be a rough season was a terrible coaching staff that wouldn't know what to do with talent if they had it.

And plenty of homers thought we'd be 2-0 right now...
Right and not many people believed that the Vikes would be in first place (tied) or would beat the #1 ranked team on their home field.
You seem to confuse "homers" with fans that are too optimistic for your taste. If "we" are all homers then what do you consider yourself as?

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

hibbingviking wrote:a no nonsense coach similar to tom coughlin. not sure who. vikings lack discipline.
Just what gives you any indication that the Vikings lack discipline :confused:

9man
Transition Player

Post by 9man »

Purple bruise wrote: Just what gives you any indication that the Vikings lack discipline :confused:
I'm guessing because of the 11 penalties in the colts game
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

9man wrote: I'm guessing because of the 11 penalties in the colts game

Some of which were actually penalties too.... :lol:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

9man wrote: I'm guessing because of the 11 penalties in the colts game
Based on that, and I am assuming that you think that penalties are the measure of a team being disciplined then having only ONE penalty in the 49er's game called against them sort of discounts your theory that the Vikes are an undisciplined team.

9man
Transition Player

Post by 9man »

Purple bruise wrote: Based on that, and I am assuming that you think that penalties are the measure of a team being disciplined then having only ONE penalty in the 49er's game called against them sort of discounts your theory that the Vikes are an undisciplined team.
Not my theory, I was assuming that was what hibbing was referring to as lacking discipline.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Eli wrote:You know what? After the first three weeks of this crazy season, I'm not sure what to expect from the Vikings or just about any other team. The NFC North is looking like it's wide open now with the major problems that the Bears, Lions and Packers all have.

And I might win the next Mega Million!

But then, didnt Garendhire get some award 2 years ago? And hes still the manager, which is amasing.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

Well, as long as the owner listens to the fans when it comes to making coaching changes, I think it's safe to assume that the Vikings will continue to suck no matter what retiree they dust off and put a Vikings coat on. Or highly regarded coordinator. Or "guy who deserves his due". If there are two things you can rely on, it's Viking fans clamoring for an unproven backup quarterback or a new coach at the first sign of trouble. Especially if the team is only one-two years into a rebuild. That part is critical because that's how you show everyone "how it's done".

Of course, it takes most teams more than a few years to do a rebuild (some get all the right pieces all at the right time...but most have to be pretty persistent). Even with the parity in the game. There are a lot of players you need to draft if you're building a champion, and most years you can get at best 4 starters out of a draft (and more often, 2-3). It's not just starters, too, you've got to be built so that you can safely sub in guys that can keep your starters from wearing out by week 12. That's a whole lot of drafting (and it's awful hard to offset that with one or two offseasons). But good sense is rarely the hallmark of the desperate. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a whole lot of people getting suckered into get rich quick schemes and fad diets.
-Rus
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Rus wrote:Well, as long as the owner listens to the fans when it comes to making coaching changes, I think it's safe to assume that the Vikings will continue to suck no matter what retiree they dust off and put a Vikings coat on. Or highly regarded coordinator. Or "guy who deserves his due". If there are two things you can rely on, it's Viking fans clamoring for an unproven backup quarterback or a new coach at the first sign of trouble. Especially if the team is only one-two years into a rebuild. That part is critical because that's how you show everyone "how it's done".

Of course, it takes most teams more than a few years to do a rebuild (some get all the right pieces all at the right time...but most have to be pretty persistent). Even with the parity in the game. There are a lot of players you need to draft if you're building a champion, and most years you can get at best 4 starters out of a draft (and more often, 2-3). It's not just starters, too, you've got to be built so that you can safely sub in guys that can keep your starters from wearing out by week 12. That's a whole lot of drafting (and it's awful hard to offset that with one or two offseasons). But good sense is rarely the hallmark of the desperate. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a whole lot of people getting suckered into get rich quick schemes and fad diets.
:thumbsup:

Thank you, Rus.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa