Next coach will be..........?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Next coach will be..........?

Post by headless_norseman »

This will be a slowish season long thread, because we all know the current coaching regime will be a short one. So the only real questions will be who do we want as the next coach, or who do we think will be the next coach?

Bill Cower?

:point:
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Next coach will be..........?

Post by dead_poet »

*sigh*

I figured this thread wouldn't be far away. We already have fans yearning for Childress again so only after 2 games it makes sense to start talking about Frazier's replacement.

For the record, it's not a given this is Frazier's last year (insert obligatory comment about how that's true due to Wilf incompetence).
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
yesmanfan
Backup

Post by yesmanfan »

dead_poet wrote:*sigh*

I figured this thread wouldn't be far away. We already have fans yearning for Childress again so only after 2 games it makes sense to start talking about Frazier's replacement.

For the record, it's not a given this is Frazier's last year (insert obligatory comment about how that's true due to Wilf incompetence).
lol you think frazier has only had 2 games to judge him? try 21

i dont care who the next coach is as long as he interviews more than one person and doesn't hire someone who believe in ultra conservative 1980s football.

and yes we understand that frazier won't be fired until at least week 14 but it's not too early to start talking about it. musgrave has to go too.
yesmanfan
Backup

Post by yesmanfan »

oh and please make it someone who understands situational football, especially the situations that occur in the last 5 mins of a game
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

yesmanfan wrote:lol you think frazier has only had 2 games to judge him? try 21
2 games into the 2012 season. I didn't think I needed to clarify. Sorry. NFL season.
i dont care who the next coach is as long as he interviews more than one person and doesn't hire someone who believe in ultra conservative 1980s football.
Yikes. That Jim Harbaugh needs to go too then. Horrible coach. Always giving the ball to those stupid running backs and concerned about defense that includes stopping the run. I'm surprised he isn't gone already. Hasn't won a Super Bowl. Hasn't even made it to one. Pathetic.
and yes we understand that frazier won't be fired until at least week 14 but it's not too early to start talking about it. musgrave has to go too.
It's curious that you believe the majority of fans/NFL people agree that it's not a matter of "if" it's a matter of "when" Frazier is fired this year. That's far from a certainty.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Hate to break it to you guys, but I doubt there is a coaching change next year, it doesn't sink with what Spielman has preached or implemented. This group is in it for the long haul together, they're trying to develop a program of continuity.

And for the record, this is not me suggesting it's the right thing, just stating the facts.
yesmanfan
Backup

Post by yesmanfan »

saint33 wrote:Hate to break it to you guys, but I doubt there is a coaching change next year, it doesn't sink with what Spielman has preached or implemented. This group is in it for the long haul together, they're trying to develop a program of continuity.

And for the record, this is not me suggesting it's the right thing, just stating the facts.
actually you are wrong. its very likely there will be a coaching change:

#1 frazier has one year left on his contract after this year, it is extremely rare to leave a head coach in charge but without an extension. it tells your players you don't respect him enough to give him the extension. he will either get an extension or be fired.

#2 the only way he gets the extension is if he has some kind of success this year, 8-8, 9-7 could possibly do it but what are the odds we can pull off 8 wins, very low unless the coaches make drastic changes in their philosophy. and 9 wins still might not be enough to get the extension. it wouldn't be for me.

#3 the coaches have proven in these first 2 games they didn't learn anything in the off season and are going to stick to an ultra-conservative approach

#4 jared allen already made a very interesting comment in the press after the week 1 win that basically threatened frazier. there are some rumors from a guy on another forum who claims to be friends with allen and says there are many players who like frazier but dont respect him as a head coach. i know its just a rumor, but i could see how it could be true. frazier is a super nice guy, but in way over his head. if we start losing, players are gonna start complaining to spielman, zygi, and the media. also, the guy who spread these rumors actually has made 2 very specific predictions in the past that could have only been made with inside info so he does have a track record that leads to some credibility. the negative is the guy has proven he is a racist so he could be spreading his own rumors out of hate. so point #4 is obviously the weakest point of these 4.

also, i doubt it is spielman's decision to make. it is the owners, however they may have given up control on this aspect and if they did i would love it. spielman is one of the best GMs in the game right now.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

lol you think frazier has only had 2 games to judge him? try 21
Now we can't look at the entire SEASON he had? And the partial season. And the time he was defensive coordinator?! :wallbang:
yesmanfan
Backup

Post by yesmanfan »

Demi wrote: Now we can't look at the entire SEASON he had? And the partial season. And the time he was defensive coordinator?! :wallbang:
huh? not sure what you are trying to say.

my bad i thought it was 21 games, its actually 24 games as head coach of the vikings (6 as an interim)
2010 6 games
2011 16 games
2012 2 games
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

OFC a thread like this will come up. How many games has Fraizer won? He wasnt a very good DC and isnt a good HC. And who here is yearing for Childress? I havent seen a single post hoping he returns to the Vikes. Although he has proved he can do a better job then Fraizer. I miss the Meathead days and would welcome him as our HC. Spielmans the bossman for now, but his job isnt written in stone.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

:lol: Thanks. You posted my reaction so I didn't have to...
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Demi wrote: Now we can't look at the entire SEASON he had? And the partial season. And the time he was defensive coordinator?! :wallbang:
You're free to do as you wish. I'm going to look at last season AND this season, which includes 16 games. We're only 2 games into 2012 with a drastically refurbished roster. My judgement will come after our last game. Ah. Screw it. We've seen enough from 2012. They're all worthless. Cowher, Billick FTW!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

It might be more interesting to start a thread about the next coach and take odds on how many games he'll get to coach before fans start posting that they want him fired!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:And who here is yearing for Childress? I havent seen a single post hoping he returns to the Vikes. Although he has proved he can do a better job then Fraizer. I miss the Meathead days and would welcome him as our HC. Spielmans the bossman for now, but his job isnt written in stone.
I dunno. This guy seems to be missing him a whole lot.
PurpleKoolaid wrote:We were better off with Childress as our HC. I didnt like the guy either, but he was much better then anything ive seen from Fraizer. Our coaching is the problem now. We have no one to develope this young talent Spielman has such a hard on for. We are much worse off now, then when Childress got fired and the Idiot was put in charge
That guy seems to think we'd be far better off with Childress.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:It might be more interesting to start a thread about the next coach and take odds on how many games he'll get to coach before fans start posting that they want him fired!
Four (max). But the NEXT coach should be better (he couldn't be worse than the guy that replaced Frazier!). Of course, with the Wilfs in charge we're going nowhere. And now they got a new stadium so they'll be sticking around making horrible decisions. So the future is hopeless. What's the point of anything?