What's wrong with the Vikings?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Who is MOST to blame for our problems?

Leslie Frazier
27%
Bill Musgrave
15%
Christian Ponder
No votes
Offensive Line
No votes
Receivers
6%
Running Game
3%
Schedule
No votes
Defense
30%
Rick Spielman
No votes
Other
18%

Total votes: 33

BGM
Hall of Famer

Re: What's wrong with the Vikings?

Post by BGM »

What is "wrong" with the Vikings? Nothing is wrong! It is a young, inexperienced team with a less-than-stellar QB, an elite RB, an elite utility player, a rookie LT, poor depth along the OL, an elite DE that is having a slow start (I hope that's the case, rather than a down year), an aging DT, a below average LB corps and a VERY young an undertalented secondary.

Frankly, they are performing pretty much exactly as I expected them to play. Last week was a nice change of pace, as they snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. This week, they reverted to typical Vikings midseason form.

Plus, there are, IMHO, the unrealistic expectations of the fan base. Did anyone really believe Ponder was going to come out and tear it up and play out of his head? Did you think he would suddenly develop superior field vision during the off-season? Or that adding a few new faces at WR was going to suddenly jump start the offense? It's a process folks. The Vikes are who they are right now. You don't have to be happy with bad execution, questionable coaching or suspect personnel moves. But, you have to accept that this season will be full of struggles and growing pains. If you are unwilling to accept that, you are in for a LOOOOONNNNG season of sadness and frustration.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

BGM wrote: a below average LB corps and a VERY young an undertalented secondary.
How do people think Harrison Smith has played so far? I haven't watched real close to what he is doing. Doesn't seem to be there in coverage, but I could be missing it. Also, I still wish we drafted a LB. Not real high on the current ones.
Last edited by Crax on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Generationally poor secondary and coverage linebacking. That is the biggest Achilles heel. Coaching in general is the next generational problem, haven't had a great GM and coaching in about a decade.
Last edited by Hunter Morrow on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Crax wrote:All my recent posts seem pretty negative, but I'm honestly not trying to be pessimistic in all of them.
How do people think Harrison Smith has played so far? I haven't watched real close to what he is doing. Doesn't seem to be there in coverage, but I could be missing it. Also, I still wish we drafted a LB. Not real high on the current ones.
Just so you know, I have no problem with ANYONE questioning or being frustrated with the Vikings. I know I do and am.

As for Harrison Smith, I am impressed. He has been out of position on occasion, but he is by far the best safety I have seen in the Vikings secondary for a long time. I think he has the potential to be very, very good.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
joe h
Veteran

Post by joe h »

Since our defense is holding teams to less than three touchdowns, I vote Musgrave. The bears, with the leagues worst OL, put up 41 points against Indy. And 14 of our 20 points came in the last 5 minutes when Indy decided to play a prevent style defense. And the last touchdown was pure luck.

Too late to do anything about it now, but if it doesn't turn around by the end of the season, gut the entire offense coaching staff.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Crax wrote:How do people think Harrison Smith has played so far?
Like a rookie. But I think he'll be fine. He'll get better with experience and with more talented players around him.
Also, I still wish we drafted a LB. Not real high on the current ones.
Where the Vikings are unlikely to get better as the season progresses, is in pass coverage by the linebackers. Brinkley may get a little better, but they're already pulling him off the field in the nickel, which they run close to half the time. Erin Henderson is not good in coverage and Greenway has always been pretty mediocre.
yesmanfan
Backup

Post by yesmanfan »

its all musgrave and frazier's fault. ultra conservative football unless there is 2 mins to go in the half or we are down in the 4th quarter. how dense can they be.

one other person's fault is zygi. interviews childress, panics and interviews no one else.

interviews fraizer and no one else. sigh
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Also, I still wish we drafted a LB. Not real high on the current ones.
I wish they gave Cole a chance to compete with Brinkley. At least he showed some instincts this preseason. More than Brinkley has shown his entire career. Completely a one trick pony. And that trick isn't going to cut it in todays NFL. no matter how much Frazier wants downhill block shedding hard hitters at MLB. The successful Tampa 2 teams since it's inception used quick less physical cover type linebackers. And after inheriting a guy like EJ who didn't fit, they decide to keep Brinkley in there.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Demi wrote: I wish they gave Cole a chance to compete with Brinkley. At least he showed some instincts this preseason. More than Brinkley has shown his entire career. Completely a one trick pony. And that trick isn't going to cut it in todays NFL. no matter how much Frazier wants downhill block shedding hard hitters at MLB. The successful Tampa 2 teams since it's inception used quick less physical cover type linebackers. And after inheriting a guy like EJ who didn't fit, they decide to keep Brinkley in there.
I agree with the dump Brinkley sentiment, MLBs should be leaders of the defense, ours isn't even a full time player :wallbang:
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Does anyone else find it ironic that the style of defense the Vikings play is basically designed to make teams play the way the Vikings offense is currently playing?
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man »

Cliff wrote:Does anyone else find it ironic that the style of defense the Vikings play is basically designed to make teams play the way the Vikings offense is currently playing?
Yes thats a good observation and classic Childress football , I honestly don't see any difference between Chilis teams and Frasiers, except less dumb quotes after games . The run run pass and the soft zone coverage have been a hallmark of Vikings football since the Childress days .
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock:
purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by purplehaze »

I will keep it simple. I am the only one who voted for the running game. Not because it is not good but because we built our team around AD. Franchise running backs don't win super bowls. Favre was the only one who showed that a legit QB can get this team close to the big show.
“He's like a piece of gristle. He's got a great squirt in the hole"-- Brad Childress.
yesmanfan
Backup

Post by yesmanfan »

purplehaze wrote:I will keep it simple. I am the only one who voted for the running game. Not because it is not good but because we built our team around AD. Franchise running backs don't win super bowls. Favre was the only one who showed that a legit QB can get this team close to the big show.
just because adrian is on the team, doesn't mean you have to build the team around the run game. right?

also, who are the other players we drafted or signed that compliment the run game?

and if your argument is we could have spent the money else where,

my question for you is where? there are so few quality free agents in the league every year. i cant think of a single one we should have picked up this last off-season.
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

BGM wrote: This week, they reverted to typical Vikings midseason form.
Woo Hoo! The Vikings are already in midseason form after just 1 game. This team is ahead of the curve!

Oh, you meant... erm... nevermind....
Craig S