Somebody needs to JACK MUSGRAVE UP!!!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Somebody needs to JACK MUSGRAVE UP!!!

Post by Crax »

Mothman wrote:
A QB isn't supposed to go through his progression post-snap on every play and then pick the best option. The progression is there for a reason and as we hear over and over, the Qb is supposed to have an internal clock and get the ball out of his hands relatively quickly.
I agree with that, but he seems to go to the quick and easy throw without even checking. You may not have time to check 4, but he had time to check 2 and on many cases just looked one way and threw it. Burton was triple covered at one point and he threw it, like that was the plan no matter what else was going on.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

It's a mixed bag for me, I think the o-line didn't protect particularly well but I think Ponder was a bit too jumpy as well. Quite a few times I think he escaped pressure but still kinda forced the throw he was currently on or gave up and tucked it down.

Not sure about replays but I remember 3 missed open guys and the commentators mentioned seeing it as well. One was to rudolph when he escaped the pocket, one was rudolph in the back of the endzone, and i think another peterson had a lot of open space around him and he forced it to harvin. (for what it's worth)
radar55
All Pro Elite Player

Post by radar55 »

Purplemania wrote:You're kinda mean. I say force him to go to therapy. Musgrave obviously has pyschological issues to keep repeating doing the same thing with no results.
not really....repeating the same thing over and over again without results is kind of the vikings mantra on offense and defense
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

radar55 wrote: not really....repeating the same thing over and over again without results is kind of the vikings mantra on offense and defense

With the exception of 1998, I agree. Unfortunately, we all know what happened when Denny got scared at the end of that season...
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
With the exception of 1998, I agree. Unfortunately, we all know what happened when Denny got scared at the end of that season...
Don't forget when Favre showed up and told Childress to sit down and shut up...
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

If Ponder faces too much pressure past anything beyond the time it takes his receivers to get 12 and over yards past the line, I'll take pass after pass of 10 yards in, 10 yards out. How hard can it be? Ultra conservative, repetitive/no result football makes a man's hair fall out. If not, gray will ensue!

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Mothman wrote:I think execution was the problem today, not aggression.
^^^ This. There was nothing fancy, or even different, about the play calling at the end of the game. They just executed much better.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: Ya cause Ponder was god awful today. :roll:

The real problem is the Vikings WRs do not get open at all. Ponder could have all day to throw the ball and is still forced to run or get sacked or something.

Our defense is awful they couldn't stop a high school team.
I don't care who you play, whether it's a high school team, a junior college team, a college team, much less an NFL team;
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

The real problem is the Vikings WRs do not get open at all. Ponder could have all day to throw the ball and is still forced to run or get sacked or something.

Even if they do get open, Ponder is too busy staring down his first read. Even when he has protection he gets happy feet.

Deja Vu of Tarvaris all over again.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

our receivers have to be the worst starting group in the nfl. harvin is the only guy who does anything and he is the smallest guy on the field. give ponder some guys who wouldn't be starting on any other team than the vikings to throw to, then judge him.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

What are you talking about, even the announcers were saying he was missing open guys. He reads the coverage for 1/2 aq second, and either throws runs or drops the ball. Did you see Luck play under pressure? And how do you know the WRs aernt getting seperation? Casuse Ponders not throwing to them? LOL. Mustgrave prolly has them blocking cause he knows Ponders range is about a 5 foot throw.

Yeah the D sucks, esp. the secondary. but we got good ole Fraizer, with 3 years under his belt at HC, to whi them into shape :lol:
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

our receivers have to be the worst starting group in the nfl. harvin is the only guy who does anything and he is the smallest guy on the field. give ponder some guys who wouldn't be starting on any other team than the vikings to throw to, then judge him.
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:What are you talking about, even the announcers were saying he was missing open guys. He reads the coverage for 1/2 aq second, and either throws runs or drops the ball. Did you see Luck play under pressure? And how do you know the WRs aernt getting seperation? Casuse Ponders not throwing to them? LOL. Mustgrave prolly has them blocking cause he knows Ponders range is about a 5 foot throw.

Yeah the D sucks, esp. the secondary. but we got good ole Fraizer, with 3 years under his belt at HC, to whi them into shape :lol:
Because Peliserro said they were getting no separation. I only heard the announcers mention he missed Rudolph once. Who were the others?
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Juice wrote: Because Peliserro said they were getting no separation.?
So that makes it true?

Please explain exactly how Jenkins could suddenly get open immediately after Harvin gets hurt if he couldn't do it at all in 3+ qtrs? Shouldn't he be easier to cover at that point as the Colts D doesn't even have to worry about Harvin? Must just be a big coincidence that he was most likely the #1 read with harvin out.
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

Crax wrote: So that makes it true?

Please explain exactly how Jenkins could suddenly get open immediately after Harvin gets hurt if he couldn't do it at all in 3+ qtrs? Shouldn't he be easier to cover at that point as the Colts D doesn't even have to worry about Harvin? Must just be a big coincidence that he was most likely the #1 read with harvin out.
Well, I'll take his word for it since he was at the game where he had a good view of that part of the field. Pete Bercich also commented on it on Rosen Sports Sunday tonight.

Prevent D? They had a 7 point lead with 2:50 left in the 4th and the Vikings had no timeouts. I'm sure the Colts wanted to keep everything in front of them, inbounds and avoid the home run type play.
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett