Week 2: Vikings @ Colts Game Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Week 2: Vikings @ Colts Game Thread

Post by VikingLord »

petev_sj wrote:This was a badly managed team. Ponder has to take charge and just audible at the line. The coaches call the plays, but it's the QB that pulls the trigger. I am waiting for Ponder to start taking charge the way Manning and Brady does.
When I see Ponder tuck it and start to move, I bet 90% of the time the ball doesn't leave his hands. He either gets a few yards or he's taken down behind the line.

The main difference between Ponder and the better QB's is that the better QB's make something happen on those plays.
me4get
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by me4get »

Why was that spike with 13 seconds left legal. a spike is on allowed only to stop the clock. without the clock running it should have been intentional grounding.
Viking fan since '65
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

me4get wrote:Why was that spike with 13 seconds left legal. a spike is on allowed only to stop the clock. without the clock running it should have been intentional grounding.
Because the Refs told him it was a running clock...

(or at least announcers pointed out that he asked the refs before the play so I assume that's what he was told)
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

VikingLord wrote:When I see Ponder tuck it and start to move, I bet 90% of the time the ball doesn't leave his hands. He either gets a few yards or he's taken down behind the line.

The main difference between Ponder and the better QB's is that the better QB's make something happen on those plays.
This is the problem with having only 1 camera view during the game. You don't know if the receivers are getting open down the field.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

petev_sj wrote: This is the problem with having only 1 camera view during the game. You don't know if the receivers are getting open down the field.
I have game pass at the moment. I'll take a look at the game film later this week if someone wants to post the time of occurrence for the plays they are wondering about
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Proof that stats don't always tell the whole story:

Ponder: 27/35 for 245 yards, 2 TD's, 0 INT's (passer rating 114.5)
Luck: 20/31 for 224 yards, 2 TD's, 0 INT's (passer rating: 107.5)

Luck didn't really light up the yardage meter against our Defense, despite how hapless they looked.

Also worth noting: Our running game didn't produce any huge plays. Peterson had a fairly quiet 16 carries for 60 yards, Gerhart had 5 for 15 yards. Neither one scored. Usually we get better yield from the running game.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

I know it's not an INT, but don't forget about the costly fumble ponder had.
admvp
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by admvp »

Dude!!! I was so pumped when we tied it!! You gotta hand it to Ponder..... That drive was straight up CLUTCH. Too bad he can't play a whole game like that.

And yet, as pumped as I was, I didn't really get to enjoy it because I knew we left too much time. The moment we scored I knew it. 31 seconds is too much time? That's like no time! No, 31 seconds IS too much time. For THIS secondary. I mean Luck was chucking it 20 yards to WIDE OPEN receivers. They had 31 seconds to drive like 40-50 yards, and our defense knows that, so HOW EXACTLY can guys be THAT wide open at that moment in the game? Are they even trying? HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. It's amazing how we as fans KNEW what would happen, and we were right. The defense delivered, as expected.

Football isn't fun when you can't celebrate game-tying touchdowns with 31 seconds left. When you KNOW we're going to lose right after tying the game.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Crax wrote:I know it's not an INT, but don't forget about the costly fumble ponder had.
See, I figure those things even out. I blame the poor OL play for that (the Defensive Lineman wasn't even blocked on that play). However, there was a very poorly thown pass that looked like it was thrown to the DB (and he dropped a sure INT) so I'm willing to blame Ponder for that one (even though the stats only show an INC).
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
me4get
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by me4get »

at 13 seconds left Luck spiked the ball with the clock stopped. under the NFL rulebook a QB allowed to spike the ball to stop the clock. The REF's should have called intentional grounding.

The NFL rule book has this (Item 3: Stopping Clock. A player under center is permitted to stop the game clock legally to save time if,
immediately upon receiving the snap, he begins a continuous throwing motion and throws the ball
directly into the ground.). this is under the intentional grounding rule. As the clock was stopped it was to be a loss of down and a 10yd penalty.
Viking fan since '65
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

me4get wrote:at 13 seconds left Luck spiked the ball with the clock stopped. under the NFL rulebook a QB allowed to spike the ball to stop the clock. The REF's should have called intentional grounding.

The NFL rule book has this (Item 3: Stopping Clock. A player under center is permitted to stop the game clock legally to save time if,
immediately upon receiving the snap, he begins a continuous throwing motion and throws the ball
directly into the ground.). this is under the intentional grounding rule. As the clock was stopped it was to be a loss of down and a 10yd penalty.
AND IF THE REFS TOLD HIM IT WAS A LIVE CLOCK SINCE HE CLEARLY ASKED THEM BEFORE THE PLAY?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

me4get wrote:at 13 seconds left Luck spiked the ball with the clock stopped. under the NFL rulebook a QB allowed to spike the ball to stop the clock. The REF's should have called intentional grounding.

Vikes are a bad team if they need refs calls to go their way in order to win.

How about winning on the merits of their play? How about stopping the Colts on that last drive instead of allowing Luck to complete easy passes to wide open receivers? Or how about getting some pressure on him against an offensive line that the Bears mauled the prior week and that was starting guys off the street?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Vikes cooked their own goose with lackluster play on offense in the second and third quarters and bad penalties throughout the game.

Very disappointing performance.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingLord wrote: Vikes are a bad team if they need refs calls to go their way in order to win.

How about winning on the merits of their play? How about stopping the Colts on that last drive instead of allowing Luck to complete easy passes to wide open receivers? Or how about getting some pressure on him against an offensive line that the Bears mauled the prior week and that was starting guys off the street?
I have to agree. The penalties were costly but blaming the refs for this game seems like sour grapes to me. Take the Allen penalty as an example. Lets just say for the sake of argument that he hits Luck in bounds. Everyone knows the refs are protecting the QB's in this league these days. Luck, if not out of bounds was CLEARLY headed out of bounds. You have to be smart and pull up on those plays especially when the guy is 17 yards away from the first down marker! It was pretty clear (at least in my mind) Allen made that tackle out of frustration and not because he thought Luck was in bounds, was trying to strip the ball, or any other intelligent reason.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

S197 wrote: I have to agree. The penalties were costly but blaming the refs for this game seems like sour grapes to me. Take the Allen penalty as an example. Lets just say for the sake of argument that he hits Luck in bounds. Everyone knows the refs are protecting the QB's in this league these days. Luck, if not out of bounds was CLEARLY headed out of bounds. You have to be smart and pull up on those plays especially when the guy is 17 yards away from the first down marker! It was pretty clear (at least in my mind) Allen made that tackle out of frustration and not because he thought Luck was in bounds, was trying to strip the ball, or any other intelligent reason.

Here was Allen's response: From CBS Sports
Jared Allen wrote: "I was cautiously conscious of where he was on the field. I dove when he was still in bounds and I literally went for the ball and hit his arm and he fell down. I guess in this league you can't touch the quarterbacks. If he was a running back they wouldn't have called it."
I like Allen, but c'mon. Luck is not a running back, he's a quarterback and anyone with any brain power knows that they're going to be overprotective of the QBs. I'm not saying it's right and I get frustrated that its a FOOTBALL game and the defense is hamstrung more and more with how aggressive they can be, but really? That's your excuse?

I'm not in the camp that thinks Allen is overrated, but he's not helping himself here. He needs to just admit it wasn't the smartest play and move on...
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!