Jerome Simpson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

UltraNasty850
Backup

Jerome Simpson

Post by UltraNasty850 »

I know I am posting this a week or two early here, but I Simpson has been on my mind quite a bit lately. Will he really make a big difference in our passing game? Of course I saw his spectacular hurdle in the pre-season, but will he be doing that week in and week out?

I am not concerned, I am excited for his return. If Simpson will make a LARGE difference in our passing game, how can we not think that the Vikings will make LARGE strides this season?

Is Simpson our Victor Cruz? A guy that has been around for a while, but hasn't played up to his potential? I'd LOVE to think so.

It looked like Ponder and Simpson were on the same page quite a bit this pre-season...

Your thoughts?
Twitter - @Andy_FA_

Bleed Purple
KillerPat
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Jerome Simpson

Post by KillerPat »

we need someone to help stretch the defense so harvin and rudolph can catch passes underneath and AD can run wild.

simpson has good hands, is fast and makes crazy plays. he should be able to take presure of the inside of the offense.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

UltraNasty850 wrote:I know I am posting this a week or two early here, but Simpson has been on my mind quite a bit lately. Will he really make a big difference in our passing game? Your thoughts?
Simpson is good at stretching the field, not only because he's fast but he executes his cuts quickly and can jump for the ball. Going deep doesn't just depend on speed. If so, then both Harvin and Aromashodu would be reliable downfield threats. So I think Simpson will be a valuable addition to the Vikings offense.

Regarding Harvin, he used to successfully run deep routes for the Florida Gators, but oftentimes from a slot position and with another deep guy also on the field. If Simpson can open things up, then Harvin might be able to go deeper as well.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

i'm cautiously optimistic. i feel it's all about the line play. if Ponder continues to get time to make reads and throws, then Simpson will have huge impact as far as opening up the offense for everyone.

IMO it doesn't matter if one thinks he's a #1 or #2 so much. what matters is that he's is big and fast and has a pair of hands. it will open up the field for AP, Harvin and the TEs just that much more.

from what i have seen, Ponder can make the throws. he just needs to get comfortable with this line. they looked much improved last week.
9man
Transition Player

Post by 9man »

losperros wrote: Simpson is good at stretching the field, not only because he's fast but he executes his cuts quickly and can jump for the ball. Going deep doesn't just depend on speed. If so, then both Harvin and Aromashodu would be reliable downfield threats. So I think Simpson will be a valuable addition to the Vikings offense.

Regarding Harvin, he used to successfully run deep routes for the Florida Gators, but oftentimes from a slot position and with another deep guy also on the field. If Simpson can open things up, then Harvin might be able to go deeper as well.
This..
On a side note those leaps over defenders are fun to watch but could be dangerous. Simpson is athletic and I think he will be very productive.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:He's a low end #2, decent #3 on a good team. But he's better than any WR on our team not named Harvin and he can actually stretch the field, which is something we haven't seen since 09 Rice and 08 Berrian.

he produced like a solid #2 last year and has the athletic ability of a #1. Was very raw coming out of college. I'd say he'll be a solid #2 for us at least. Inconsistent though, he'll either have a monster day or be completely invisible
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

saint33 wrote:
he produced like a solid #2 last year and has the athletic ability of a #1. Was very raw coming out of college. I'd say he'll be a solid #2 for us at least. Inconsistent though, he'll either have a monster day or be completely invisible
Agree completely.

That being said, last year was a breakout season. We see this all the time with WRs. Invisible for awhile, then inconsistent, and then once the light comes on, they break out. Some of them end up being really good.

Not saying that is definitely going to happen with Simpson. Just hoping. He's got the ability.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.