Jaguars' Monroe has his way with sack machine Allen

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Demi
Commissioner

Re: Jaguars' Monroe has his way with sack machine Allen

Post by Demi »

No offense, but you want to trade the best 4-3 DE in the league after a 22 sack campaign?

One game does not a season make.
You don't trade him based on the one game, you trade him based on the 22 sack campaign that has his value at an all time high. And all the games in the future where a potential free agent (end of this year? Or next?) who's 30 years old and toward the end of his prime will bring back enough that you can help a rebuilding team fill more than just one hole for years to come. (or at least that's the idea)
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

The tape does not lie and shows just how much my perception was off. I thought I saw Allen doubled and chipped, but that obviously was not the case. On the positive side, Robison more than made up for Allen's rough game. Plus, considering his history, I am willing to give Allen the benefit of the doubt. All players have games they wish they could forget. Hopefully, we as fans are not so addicted to drama that we begin a "JA watch".
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
A.D_blazing
Transition Player

Post by A.D_blazing »

S197 wrote: I think the only other player who might have a claim at that is Pierre-Paul, curious as to who you think is a better pure pass rusher than Allen.

It's scary when you hear NFL people and teammates say JPP is still learning the mental aspect of the game,and still he had 16 sacks last year. Jason Pierre-Paul will be the best in few years.

But right now the best DE/LB is Demarcus Ware.Dallas had 4/3 D before Rob Ryan came last year.Allen is no Julius Peppers either,and he doesn't impact the vikings D like those players.

I agree that Allen is very good player,but the best defensive ends are UNBLOCK-ABLE one on one.
Last edited by A.D_blazing on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

I think you'd have to consider Ware right up there with those guys as well
A.D_blazing
Transition Player

Post by A.D_blazing »

Crax wrote:I think you'd have to consider Ware right up there with those guys as well
Many would agree that he's the best in the league right now.
09/06/12 - LB DeMarcus Ware didn't get the five sacks he was requested to get by the woman in the NFL back to football commercial but he notched two sacks, giving him 101.5 for his career. Ware reached the milestone in 113 career games – the second fastest league defender to attain 100 sacks in NFL history behind Reggie White who did it in 96 games.
Cowboys outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware is the sixth-best NFL player according to a ranking of the Top 100 as chosen by the league's players.
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

FWIW, Pelissero claims Allen was persistently chipped, while Prisco claims he was chipped only a few times. I don't have the game taped, so I can't confirm or deny either claim. I guess it doesn't really matter at this point. I just thought it was interesting.
Breaking down the tape of the Vikings' win over the Jaguars
RE Jared Allen (73) didn't come off the field much either, but Jaguars LT Eugene Monroe largely neutralized him with help from persistent chips after Allen's early sack in 1.4 seconds was wiped away by an offsides penalty.
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Brea ... uars091112

After Further Review: Jaguars' Monroe has his way with sack machine Allen
There were a few times where the Jaguars used a back or a tight end to chip on Allen, but most of the game it was Monroe vs. Allen.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2017 ... hine-allen
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

A.D_blazing wrote:
It's scary when you hear NFL people and teammates say JPP is still learning the mental aspect of the game,and still he had 16 sacks last year. Jason Pierre-Paul will be the best in few years.

But right now the best DE/LB is Demarcus Ware.Dallas had 4/3 D before Rob Ryan came last year.Allen is no Julius Peppers either,and he doesn't impact the vikings D like those players.

I agree that Allen is very good player,but the best defensive ends are UNBLOCK-ABLE one on one.
You're telling me you've never seen Allen unblockable one on one? if you haven't I suggest you rewatch the season closer last year against the bears. If we're talking the model of inconsistency, Julius Peppers is that. He is very blockable one on one, but when he's on his game and against a lesser opponent (like last night with Newhouse) he can be unblockable.

I don't know what it is about Allen's game that constantly underrated in comparison to other pass rushers, but the dude has the most sacks of any player since entering the league. He gets the reputation as a "try hard" or "strong motor" guy, and for good reason, but that's not to say that he doesn't have a great first step or a plethora of pass rush moves.

JA and DeMarcus Ware are the cream of the crop. That doesn't mean they can't be contained on an individual game's basis, but either one as the ability to take over a game and they do it more often than they don't
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Purple bruise wrote:Yes indeed and I commented on that after the game and as I recall Mr. Kapp took exception to my commentary about Allen.. I have noticed an increase in these types of games coming from Allen and even went so far as suggesting trading him for a player or draft picks to upgrade the team in other areas. I believe that Griffin might fill in and become a Dwight Freeney type force on the other side away from Robison. Having 22 sacks in a season sounds great but against what teams and what impact did it actualy have on the outcome of these games. Do not get me wrong, I really like Allen but he is getting older and there have been way too many games when his name barely shows up on a stat sheet.
Come on, man.

I didn't take exception to you calling him out, and I said so. I agreed with you that he was a non-factor against the Jags.

You said it happens all too often. I took exception to that.

And you've "noticed an increase"? Seriously? That's your argument? Mine's PFF. Guys who watch and break down every single play. See what they had to say about him last year and get back to me.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
A.D_blazing
Transition Player

Post by A.D_blazing »

saint33 wrote: You're telling me you've never seen Allen unblockable one on one?
I've seen Allen and other DE unblockable plenty of times,but i meant the best pass rushers in the NFL are unblockable one on one when the game is on the line for their team.
if you haven't I suggest you rewatch the season closer last year against the bears.
Cutler was the most sacked Qb in the NFL in 2010 (52) and (24) in 10 games in 2011.Therefore any pass rusher gets their way against the bears Oline.After watching the bears vs packers last night,heck i can get a sack against the Bears oline. :lol:

If we're talking the model of inconsistency, Julius Peppers is that. He is very blockable one on one, but when he's on his game and against a lesser opponent (like last night with Newhouse) he can be unblockable.
I agree with Peppers being the model of inconsistence,but i disagree that he's only unblockable against lesser opponents.

Also,when you asked me to watch Jarred Allen vs the bears game last year. I'm guessing you wanted me to watch Allen 3 sacks vs Newhouse... :lol:

I don't know what it is about Allen's game that constantly underrated in comparison to other pass rushers, but the dude has the most sacks of any player since entering the league. He gets the reputation as a "try hard" or "strong motor" guy, and for good reason, but that's not to say that he doesn't have a great first step or a plethora of pass rush moves.
The knock on J. Allen in comparison to other premier pass rushers is that he's not as disruptive the game on the line,on third downs or when he plays good tackles (let's not even talk about when he plays best left tackles).
JA and DeMarcus Ware are the cream of the crop. That doesn't mean they can't be contained on an individual game's basis, but either one as the ability to take over a game and they do it more often than they don't.
[/quote]

A guy named Monroe will never block one on one the NFL cream of the crop pass rushers for a full game.

La Crème de la Crème NFL pass rushers: D. Ware,T. Suggs,J. Pierre-Paul,Aldon Smith,and those players can stop the run as well.
Last edited by A.D_blazing on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple bruise wrote:I am generaly on the same page as you but I think that your stat sheet bolsters my argument. When you look at his numbers and do keep in mind that sacks are counted as solo tackles he only had a total of 26 solo tackles (plus the 22 sacks) and only 18 assisted tackles ( which are counted in the 66 number of tackles he posted for the whole year and average out to be 1.125 assists per game.
Talk about games last year where he was next to invisible (like he was against the Jags) look at the Tampa game 2 total tackles, the Chiefs game 2 sacks and no other tackles or assists in the entire game, the Oakland game, 2 total tacles for the whole game, The Saints game 2 total tackles for the whole game. Yes he made the Pro Bowl DE last year but his monster sack total (3.5 against the Bears in one game) garnered him the status.
I can't believe you're actually placing that much emphasis on a DE's stat line. A DE can have a good game and barely register a stat! That may make him "next to invisible" statistically but on the field, he could have been pressuring the QB, sealing the edge against the run, taking on multiple blockers (which helps someone else get free to make the tackle), etc. Looking at a stat line is a poor way to evaluate a defensive lineman's performance.
A.D_blazing
Transition Player

Post by A.D_blazing »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: This is where you lose any credibility, "a guy named Monroe."

Just because you don't know who Eugene Monroe is doesn't mean he's some scrub that somehow shut down Allen. Monroe is actually a pretty solid LT and a former 1st round pick. He's not Joe Thomas or anything but he's not Charlie Johnson either.

Jared Allen and DeMarcus Ware are 1a. and 1b. in terms of best pass rusher in the NFL. If you wanna say Ware is better I won't argue, but you are seriously underrating Jared Allen. Let's just ignore a 22 sack season because he got shut down in week 1 the next year. :roll:

I know Monroe is way better than Charlie Johnson,but he DOMINATED jarred Allen...
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

A.D_blazing wrote:I know Monroe is way better than Charlie Johnson,but he DOMINATED jarred Allen...
Last night, on AFC Playbook, Brian Baldinger said he thinks Monroe has quietly become the best tackle drafted in recent years... including Jake Long. Maybe he's just a talented player coming into his prime and reaching his potential.

Let's not forget that Allen flew right by him early in the game to sack Gabbert. He was called offsides but the replay suggested otherwise. Allen had a nice pressure or two early in the game too but overall, Monroe clearly got the best of him.

Allen has traditionally been a slow starter so I doubt his week 1 performance is anything to be concerned about.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote: Last night, on AFC Playbook, Brian Baldinger said he thinks Monroe has quietly become the best tackle drafted in recent years... including Jake Long. Maybe he's just a talented player coming into his prime and reaching his potential.

Let's not forget that Allen flew right by him early in the game to sack Gabbert. He was called offsides but the replay suggested otherwise. Allen had a nice pressure or two early in the game too but overall, Monroe clearly got the best of him.

Allen has traditionally been a slow starter so I doubt his week 1 performance is anything to be concerned about.
This is what happens when a guy almost breaks the sack record the year before. The expectations get so high that if he doesn't come out and blow the doors off then, comparatively speaking, he got "dominated".

Jared Allen is going to have a harder time this year. That's the nature of the game, and it happens to players and teams. Witness the significant dropoff in production by the Packer offense from last year. Last year the Packers were tearing it up from the get-go in terms of yards and points. This year, not so much. They return pretty much all of their starters, including their "do-no-wrong" QB, and yet so far two defenses have found a way to limit them despite both games being in Green Bay.

Allen nearly sets the sack record, so it stands to reason that this season he's going to get everyone's best game. No LT is going to head into a game against the Vikings without a specific plan and help to neutralize Allen. As good as he has been prior to last season, he's one of the few A-list players that every offense is going to gameplan to deal with. I think that's some of what we saw in terms of his performance against the Jags.

While I'd love to believe Allen can get upwards of 20 sacks this year again, the reality is that he's going to really struggle to get 10-15. However, while the sack total may drop off, as many have pointed out, just by commanding that attention and playing fundamentally solid, Allen can (and will) still have a major contribution to the success of the Viking defense this season.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote: This is what happens when a guy almost breaks the sack record the year before. The expectations get so high that if he doesn't come out and blow the doors off then, comparatively speaking, he got "dominated".

Jared Allen is going to have a harder time this year. That's the nature of the game, and it happens to players and teams. Witness the significant dropoff in production by the Packer offense from last year. Last year the Packers were tearing it up from the get-go in terms of yards and points. This year, not so much. They return pretty much all of their starters, including their "do-no-wrong" QB, and yet so far two defenses have found a way to limit them despite both games being in Green Bay.

Allen nearly sets the sack record, so it stands to reason that this season he's going to get everyone's best game. No LT is going to head into a game against the Vikings without a specific plan and help to neutralize Allen. As good as he has been prior to last season, he's one of the few A-list players that every offense is going to gameplan to deal with. I think that's some of what we saw in terms of his performance against the Jags.

While I'd love to believe Allen can get upwards of 20 sacks this year again, the reality is that he's going to really struggle to get 10-15. However, while the sack total may drop off, as many have pointed out, just by commanding that attention and playing fundamentally solid, Allen can (and will) still have a major contribution to the success of the Viking defense this season.

Well said!