Breaking down the tape: Vikes-Jags

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Breaking down the tape: Vikes-Jags

Post by Eli »

Antoine Winfield ended up playing 74 of the 79 defensive snaps. Not exactly the lighter load that we all expected for him this season. But it's the first game of the season and he's still fresh and his subs dont' appear to be ready yet. It will be interesting to see who gets the bulk of the snaps opposite Chris Cook in the base defense. Maybe they don't quite have the confidence in Josh Robinson yet, or they expect to play A.J. Jefferson once he's up to speed.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Piggybacking @ChrisWesseling's Christian Ponder tweet: Ponder completed 17 of his final 20 throws (85%) for 238 yds (11.9 YPA) against Jags.
Evan Silva on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

Mothman wrote:It's amazing to me that the NFL is apparently emboldened by the performance of the replacement refs this weekend rather than embarrassed. There were fundamental errors like the one described in that article in a number of games this week. It is not okay for officials to hand a team 7 extra yards near midfield in a close game because they mis-applied a rule, to give a team an extra timeout (this happened in the Seahawks/Cards game) or to allow a coach to challenge when the next play has already been run (Steelers/Broncos game).
Agree. Sadly, it appears neither side is willing to compromise yet. It shouldn't matter but apparently the highest rating ever for a game on NBC's current package (18 million for Broncos-Steelers) and lack of public outcry for the real refs emboldens the NFL. I am more supportive of the refs, but I think the refs need to cave ASAP to resolve this. The NFL does not care about the consequences of terrible refs, they just want to win this labor battle, at any cost. Sad.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Eli wrote:Antoine Winfield ended up playing 74 of the 79 defensive snaps. Not exactly the lighter load that we all expected for him this season. But it's the first game of the season and he's still fresh and his subs dont' appear to be ready yet. It will be interesting to see who gets the bulk of the snaps opposite Chris Cook in the base defense. Maybe they don't quite have the confidence in Josh Robinson yet, or they expect to play A.J. Jefferson once he's up to speed.

Good point about Winfield. That's a lot of defensive plays for the "old guy." I imagine that load will be cut down in the not too distant future.

I expect to see Jefferson in there fairly soon. Why else acquire the guy if the Vikings don't intend to play him?

Josh Robinson will probably get more time as he gains experience. If either Jefferson or Robinson pan out in a big way, maybe Winfield will be moved to nickel if he starts wearing down.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

losperros wrote:
Good point about Winfield. That's a lot of defensive plays for the "old guy." I imagine that load will be cut down in the not too distant future.

I expect to see Jefferson in there fairly soon. Why else acquire the guy if the Vikings don't intend to play him?

Josh Robinson will probably get more time as he gains experience. If either Jefferson or Robinson pan out in a big way, maybe Winfield will be moved to nickel if he starts wearing down.
Jefferson might get in the mix but from what I've heard, the Vikings didn't really give up much for the guy. Basically Arizona was trying to get anything they could for him. In the end the teams might just end up swapping 6th or 7th round picks.