Percy Harvin's performance

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Percy Harvin's performance

Post by Mothman »

I saw this on Kevin Siefert's blog:
We've noted several times that quarterback Christian Ponder had an efficient, if late-starting game. We should give some credit for his performance to receiver Percy Harvin, who was a hard-running multipurpose threat for the entire game. He turned some high-percentage plays into productive gainers, finishing with 104 total combined offensive yards on six receptions and five carries. He made most of those yards on his own. According to Pro Football Focus (PFF), 77 of his 84 receiving yards came after the catch and 17 of his 20 rushing yards were after first contact. In a word, that's awesome. Harvin has slimmed down to his college weight of 190 pounds but is still running both through and around people.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... vikings-32
Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Percy Harvin's performance

Post by Cliff »

I like what they said about Robison too. Letting Edwards walk and keeping him still seems like the right decision.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Also ... in regards to Percy ... anybody know when his first target was? It seems like they were almost trying to leave him out of the first quarter. I don't think it's coincidence that the passing game started looking a lot better when he finally started getting the ball.
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

Cliff wrote:Also ... in regards to Percy ... anybody know when his first target was? It seems like they were almost trying to leave him out of the first quarter. I don't think it's coincidence that the passing game started looking a lot better when he finally started getting the ball.
Around the 2 minute mark in the first quarter. I think it was the pass that was nearly intercepted.
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote:Also ... in regards to Percy ... anybody know when his first target was? It seems like they were almost trying to leave him out of the first quarter. I don't think it's coincidence that the passing game started looking a lot better when he finally started getting the ball.
First target was their second possession on a 3rd & 6 (was incomplete). I didn't have the game in the first quarter but the recap says he touched the ball after the completion to Rudolph on their first series. I assume it was a rush. (P.Harvin left end to MIN 47 for 4 yards)
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Percy Harvin is so freakin' dangerous once he touches the ball that it's scary. The Vikings have to continue to be inventive in how they use him and get him involved in the game early and often. As the article points out, Harvin is an offensive machine that makes a lot of his own yardage.
canadaviking08
Franchise Player

Post by canadaviking08 »

I have never seen a player so tough with his size. Everytime he is taking on a few players and getting extra yardage after the first hit WOW! he is really fun to watch.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Harvin is so scary good it's mind-boggling. He is honestly just shy of elite status in my mind. So happy that he and AD are Vikings!

The thing is, it also proves how it is necessary to have more than just a handful of supremely talented players to be a good team. And I guess that is why I love the NFL. It actually has egalitarian undertones. You need hard working role players as well as superstars. And a RB may be great, but becomes something special when his OL has his back.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Purplekush
Waterboy

Post by Purplekush »

In terms of production he is elite. I think he would start on any team in the leauge. Adrian's comeback and walsh's emergence were the obvious headlines coming out of this game, overshadowing Harvins accomplishments, though unrightfully so. Behind each of AD's scores were expolsive plays by harvin. How often has this guy put the team on his back and found way make plays? Elite in my book.
Tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for today.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Purplekush wrote:In terms of production he is elite. I think he would start on any team in the leauge. Adrian's comeback and walsh's emergence were the obvious headlines coming out of this game, overshadowing Harvins accomplishments, though unrightfully so. Behind each of AD's scores were expolsive plays by harvin. How often has this guy put the team on his back and found way make plays? Elite in my book.
You know, I have to agree with your assessment. I think I have been reluctant to point to him as an elite player simply because of his 'jack-of-all-trades' versatility. He is definitely one of the few players in the league who does not specialize in one area, yet excels in many.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Harvin looks to have a chip on his shoulder coming back from 3-13 last season. He is definitely special. I also wanted to mention the much improved play of the O-line. If these guys can stay relatively healthy they should be pretty darn solid by mid-season.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

we should get the ball to Harvin early .. when he made some plays the offense seemed to feed off of it..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

jackal wrote:we should get the ball to Harvin early .. when he made some plays the offense seemed to feed off of it..
The Percy Percentage?? :twisted:
Craig S
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Have to see how teams respond. Definitely not many other people in this receiving group they need to worry about. Is Musgrave and company going to be able to find a way to take advantage of opposing defenses paying more attention to him? Sure hope so.

Was nice to see them using him the way he needs to be used as well. Instead of parts of last year where they'd send him out wide and ask him to be a true wide receiver. Took a little while but once they saw it was working they really played to his strengths. Maybe Musgrave can adjust his offense enough for a guy like Percy to not just have success, but end up a top 3-5 guy in terms of production in the entire league.