Vikes-Jags Game Day Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikes-Jags Game Day Thread

Post by yezzir »

This would have been a pretty devastating loss to lose in OT.

Thank goodness Khalil blocked that extra point kick.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

yezzir wrote:Thank goodness Khalil blocked that extra point kick.
I'm nitpicking, but that didn't end up mattering. Had he not blocked it, Jacksonville wouldn't have gone for 2 at the end of the game. Not to say it wasn't a good thing, they did have to make the 2, otherwise the FG at the end of regulation would have won it instead of tying, but it's not like if the PAT isn't blocked that Jacksonville wins 24-23.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

radar55 wrote:Truth is this was a LUCKY not a skilled win against a very bad football team. Dont get me wrong.....I'm thrilled to see us win but there really was'nt much to get excited about except for A.P. and our new kicker. The defense looks just a pathetic as last year, our 3rd down coverage (if you can call it that) once again made a 3rd rate Q/B look like Joe Montana and the vikings coaching was simply out dumbed by the inept coaching staff on Jax.

Yes we are 1-0 and surprising as it seems... we might even be 2-0 after next week. But once we start to play true NFL calibre teams I am afraid that the defense will get lit up on a weekly basis and our offense just is not good enough to play in let alone win shoot outs every week.

Just my opinion
Football stops being fun when you're worried about it all the time. Like work. There's nothing you or I can do to make the Vikings a better team, they are what they are. It's more fun when you just let it go and enjoy the ride. Only reason anyone really worries is if they're looking for a spot during the season to jump off the bandwagon.

Just my opinion
-Rus
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Picture of Peterson after rehabbing his knee....

Jacksonville is a legit defense and he got 80 yards and 2 touchdowns on limited possessions. Superhuman Fantasy FREAK. Took him 15 picks later than he should have went, probably.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Yes we are 1-0 and surprising as it seems... we might even be 2-0 after next week. But once we start to play true NFL calibre teams I am afraid that the defense will get lit up on a weekly basis and our offense just is not good enough to play in let alone win shoot outs every week.
That's the biggest worry. We beat one of the worst teams in the entire league, and it took over 60 minutes to do it *at home*. With a gift wrapped center exchange at our own 30?

Definitely need to play better to beat a decent team, especially on the road. Luckily we get another bad team next week.

Down 10 minutes in time of possession, and 2 of 10 on third downs is no way to go through a game son.
radar55
All Pro Elite Player

Post by radar55 »

Rus wrote: Football stops being fun when you're worried about it all the time. Like work. There's nothing you or I can do to make the Vikings a better team, they are what they are. It's more fun when you just let it go and enjoy the ride. Only reason anyone really worries is if they're looking for a spot during the season to jump off the bandwagon.

Just my opinion
Well thanks for sharing Rus but I was'nt aware that having concerns about the teams ability to compete meant I did'nt enjoy watching the team or that I was jumping off of anything. I was simply saying that there are a number of issues with the team that IMO will continue to cause serious problems as we get deeper into the year against better competition.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: When thats all your WRs combined get, its not so good. PH is a slot. Moss used to get that in 1 play.
I'm going to just be a broken record on this subject and repeat what I said before. A very good wide receiving corps will have the #1 at about 80 yards per game (1300 for the season), their #2 at 60 ypg (1000), and a #3 at 40 ypg (600). We essentially got that today. These guys are fine. And when Simpson gets here, they will be even better.

WR isn't a position of need to me. Now defense, on the other hand...
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

radar55 wrote:Truth is this was a LUCKY not a skilled win against a very bad football team. Dont get me wrong.....I'm thrilled to see us win but there really was'nt much to get excited about except for A.P. and our new kicker. The defense looks just a pathetic as last year, our 3rd down coverage (if you can call it that) once again made a 3rd rate Q/B look like Joe Montana and the vikings coaching was simply out dumbed by the inept coaching staff on Jax.

Just my opinion
I beg to differ, yes the secondary was bad, (ahem) i mean really bad, but the front half really got after it today. I was really surprised by the linebackers. they seemed to make quick reads and quickly react and hit with authority. Robison was all over the place. I too am sick and tired of not being able to solve the back half of the defense. In this (passing) league you have to be able to defend the receivers, something we haven't been able to do since the late 80's. I am as equally as frustrated, but the whole defense didn't play badly.
IMO..... 8)
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

Ponder B-. Vikings C- overall. Defense still scares me.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

hibbingviking wrote:Ponder B-. Vikings C- overall. Defense still scares me.
I doubt they scare anybody else. LOL :steamed:
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

dkoby wrote: I doubt they scare anybody else. LOL :steamed:
Harvin, Walsh, AP, Greenway, Kalil, Robison, Rudolph, (Simpson in 2 more games), Gerhart? I think I see several more wins.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
radar55
All Pro Elite Player

Post by radar55 »

dkoby wrote: I beg to differ, yes the secondary was bad, (ahem) i mean really bad, but the front half really got after it today. I was really surprised by the linebackers. they seemed to make quick reads and quickly react and hit with authority. Robison was all over the place. I too am sick and tired of not being able to solve the back half of the defense. In this (passing) league you have to be able to defend the receivers, something we haven't been able to do since the late 80's. I am as equally as frustrated, but the whole defense didn't play badly.
IMO..... 8)
Your right....I may have allowed my frustration of our secondary to overshadow the effort of others who actually made some plays on defense but as you said....."in this passing league" our secondary puts us at a distinct disadvantage every week. It has been this way for far to many years to continue playing the same scheme week in and week out and yet, the coaching staff either does'nt believe it to be a problem or.....quite simply......cant scheme a way to fix it. Just imagine what will happen when we have to play against quality teams with quality QB's (ie Packers, Lions and Bears oh my). The numbers they will put up against our secondary will be legendary.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

Purple bruise wrote: Harvin, Walsh, AP, Greenway, Kalil, Robison, Rudolph, (Simpson in 2 more games), Gerhart? I think I see several more wins.
I was talking about the defense
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

Demi wrote: Down 10 minutes in time of possession, and 2 of 10 on third downs is no way to go through a game son.
LOL, is that a reference to Dean Wormer? lo,
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Yes, the secondary was not good, but that was certainly no surprise coming into this season. This young secondary will struggle. And mightily. What was fun to watch was some decent safety play for once, especially when it counted - thanks Harrison Smith!

And this game would have been a loss last season. What I saw was an offense and defense that came through in the clutch (granted in a situation they created themselves, but still...), and that, IMO, is something very encouraging.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa