Vikes-Jags Game Day Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikes-Jags Game Day Thread

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:I forgot to mention two things:

Runner up for D: Brian Robison, my boy from UT Longhorns! Sweet game today. I love that he's been able to turn himself into a starter and a nice compliment to JA.

Musgrave deserves a shout out for the intelligent way he used Percy today (esp. 2nd half). It opened things up. We are so incredibly fortunate to have AD and Percy.
Indeed we are...

I'm guessing Musgrave made some adjustments after the Vikes offense started the game off so poorly. They basically did nothing until the end of the first half when Ponder-to-Percy got them going. After that, the Vikes scored on 5 of their next 7 possessions.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote:I haven't had a chance to watch a lot of the game but it sounded like Ponder had a rough start. He certainly made up for it with some clutch throws.
Night and day. Up until the drive right before halftime the Vikings looked very much outclassed, not just Ponder. To their credit they made some very good adjustments as the game progressed (mainly getting Harvin the ball in any way possible). That inverted wishbone formation they ran in the second half with Harvin was very successful. For a team that struggled to make adjustments after the first half, it was nice to see that progression.

Edit: Looks like your second post beat mine by a few seconds :v):
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: I don't need to re-watch the game. I have eyes. Jared Allen wasn't much of a factor today, and you won't get an argument from me on that.

But your comment that he doesn't show up "all too often" is one that no competent NFL analyst would agree with. There are other factors besides sacks and tackles for a defensive end, including how an offense has to scheme to account for the disruption he causes.

So while you may not hate JA, you can't deny that your comments display a bias that could easily be interpreted as an extreme dislike.
I actually like JA and he has been a very great pass rusher. I point out that he had 0 tackles 0 sacks 0 assisted tackles today. That is 0 for today and besides jumping offsides he was never close to getting a sack today. Past history (22 sacks last year) means nothing as far as I am concerned. He is run around and run over way too often trying to sack the QB on every down (including running downs) perceived to be passing plays. If you don't get my point that is fine with me. It is my opinion but I would note that his total tackles in a whole 2011 season 48 tackles and 18 assisted tackles with lots of games where he seemed invisible like today. Of course I am expecting him to have his usual good games with one or two sacks but it, to me anyway, seems like an unfair balance in the big picture.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

S197 wrote: Night and day. Up until the drive right before halftime the Vikings looked very much outclassed, not just Ponder. To their credit they made some very good adjustments as the game progressed (mainly getting Harvin the ball in any way possible). That inverted wishbone formation they ran in the second half with Harvin was very successful. For a team that struggled to make adjustments after the first half, it was nice to see that progression.
Great point on the adjustments.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

David Akers just hit a 63 Yard field goal at Lambeau. It hit the crossbar and bounced through. That ties the record for longest FG ever. :rock:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Now its our time
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Now its our time »

The difference was night and day over the halftime break. Nice to see the coaching staff making great adjustments. Usually it's the other way around. Ponder looked much better in the 2nd half and our pass D quit giving up 1st downs on numerous 3rd and longs (although that TD with 20 sec left was pretty terrible) Overall an up and down game but I think the Vikes can take it from the Colts next Sunday :govikes:
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Juice wrote:How about a little love for Aromashodu & Jenkins? Devin with a big reception to help get into FG range and nice catch in OT. Also, Jenkins had a couple nice grabs as well.

Aromashodu 3-61 yards
Jenkins- 3-45 yards
When thats all your WRs combined get, its not so good. PH is a slot. Moss used to get that in 1 play.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Its nice to see Ponder mentioned in a positive way. Man I hope this continues. Greenway too. And maybe best of all, halftime adjustments were made and completed. Yes we had a bit of luck with the 56 yrd FG, but at least we HAVE a 56 yrd type kicked. heck hes a 60+ yard FG kicker. I didnt see ig Kalil did good or not. Kyle has come into his own. Imagine Kyle, PH and AD all playing well.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

Hardly noticed the refs, unlike last season.
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: When thats all your WRs combined get, its not so good. PH is a slot. Moss used to get that in 1 play.
I was just trying to point out that they made some nice plays when a play needed to be made. Obviously, it would've been nice to see them have better numbers, but we really didn't get anything going until the last series before the half.
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

It was looking like it was going to be an ugly day and we were fortunate to go into the second half being down by only two points as we pretty much were owned by Jacksonville during the first half. The second half, though, looked like a different team and the proper adjustments were made. It was almost like they were the "anti-2011-Vikings". I was not encouraged they stuggled against Jacksonville, but a win is a win...
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

You know what had me encouraged? I think the Vikings were substantially better, especially offensively, from 1st quarter onwards but especially offensively in the second half. Last season was bad to worse when it came to changing the game plan, making adjustments, etc. Last year we wouldda lost today's game by 2 or 3 touchdowns.
Krulik
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Krulik »

Nice to see ya'll are still a bunch of winey line hopping nancies! :nono:

Skol Vikes!

Special kudos on defense to Greenway and Smith. Adrian is truly a once in a lifetime specimen, I still get chills watching him run. If Ponder keeps his head on straight, we're due for big things!

Oh and of course.. atta boy Big Booty Blair Wash! I scared the crap out of the table next to be in BWW when he made that kick.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:JA can not stop the run, he is a pass rusher, period.
This is inaccurate.
Allen came in sixth in our ratings for 4-3 DEs against the run; trailing only Terrell Suggs and Jason Pierre-Paul among prolific sack-artists. In fact, against the Broncos in Week 13, he gave a clinic to those watching on how to play Tim Tebow and the read-option, and it is this complete play as much as anything that propels him so high in our Top 101 list.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... a-vikings/

PFF graded him with a +12.6 run grade last season. He racked up 66 combined tackles and was #3 in total tackles by a defensive end. Even if you subtract 10 from his sack totals (while not doing that for the rest of the DEs above him) he still ranks sixth. He was 8th in 2010 in total tackles on a "down" pass rushing year.

Jared Allen can stop the run. A fact supported by evidence.
Last edited by dead_poet on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
radar55
All Pro Elite Player

Post by radar55 »

Truth is this was a LUCKY not a skilled win against a very bad football team. Dont get me wrong.....I'm thrilled to see us win but there really was'nt much to get excited about except for A.P. and our new kicker. The defense looks just a pathetic as last year, our 3rd down coverage (if you can call it that) once again made a 3rd rate Q/B look like Joe Montana and the vikings coaching was simply out dumbed by the inept coaching staff on Jax.

Yes we are 1-0 and surprising as it seems... we might even be 2-0 after next week. But once we start to play true NFL calibre teams I am afraid that the defense will get lit up on a weekly basis and our offense just is not good enough to play in let alone win shoot outs every week.

Just my opinion