Vikes-Jags Game Day Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikes-Jags Game Day Thread

Post by Hunter Morrow »

ROBISON was a beast today. :)

Game ball to Walsh even with Peterson going 80 yards 2 touchdowns?

Moss just got a touchdown on Packers. Nothing ever changes.
PotGoblin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by PotGoblin »

I find it fitting that his first TD of the season even with being a niners is against Green Bay. man he loves to agonize those fans. And I personally have NOOOO problem with that. :rofl:
Purple Pride till the end.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Robison looked like the pro bowl DE, not JA. Only time his named got mention was when the Jags ran right at him for gains, and when he jumped offsides. JA can not stop the run, he is a pass rusher, period. And his man beat him today. But I doubt that happens very often.

Greenway was like Ponder, bad first half, amasing second half. Nice to see him actually cover someone.
FailedtoOpen
All Pro Elite Player

Post by FailedtoOpen »

This was the first time in forever that I saw the Vikings defense not only break up a pass, but actually go all out to do so.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wow.

All too many not-show-up games? Forgive me, but have I been living in an alternate universe?
Interesting. A Vikings fan who is a bona fide Jared Allen hater. I've never actually seen on of those.
Heh, yeah. Griffin couldn't even outplay Robo. What makes anyone think that Everson Griffin will ever be anything more than a second stringer? Hype about his athleticism doesn't mean much if he can't use it well.

Defensive coordinators are going to make a mistake and keep the ball away from Jared Allen. It should have been a huge mistake tonight, especially pronounced when Chris Cook sacked Gabbert for a loss of 11 there late in the fourth. That SHOULD have sealed the deal, but the Vikings offense just puttered around with Toby and made Kluwe nail a 59 yarder to bail them out. That didn't work so well. The Jags have some offensive weapons around Gabbert that can make things happen when they need to. Hopefully the Vikings coordinators learned their lessons with this one.

But blaming anything on Allen? Not smart. When a guy nearly picks up the season sack record, it becomes a no-brainer (although it should really be a mistake) to shield your quarterback from him as best as you possibly can. However, that can force your quarterback to call plays and do things in a way that aren't entirely natural to him, and this can be detrimental to your offense as well. I'm actually pretty surprised that Gabbert didn't force a few passes and turn it over more. I think the kid is starting to get a little better...might even end up as a decent quarterback someday.
-Rus
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Players of the game, IMO:

O -- Percy, w/ AD a close second for punching in 2 TDs. Percy's dynamism and versatile production gave us yards, momentum and the energy we needed today.

D -- Greenway; He did an exceptional job in pass coverage today on some very important plays. Also had key tackles of MJD.

ST -- this is a no-brainer: Walsh won this game for us and has already made picking him worth it.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

PotGoblin wrote:I find it fitting that his first TD of the season even with being a niners is against Green Bay. man he loves to agonize those fans. And I personally have NOOOO problem with that. :rofl:
I hope Moss scores 4 TD's today. :twisted:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

How about a little love for Aromashodu & Jenkins? Devin with a big reception to help get into FG range and nice catch in OT. Also, Jenkins had a couple nice grabs as well.

Aromashodu 3-61 yards
Jenkins- 3-45 yards
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Juice wrote:How about a little love for Aromashodu & Jenkins? Devin with a big reception to help get into FG range and nice catch in OT. Also, Jenkins had a couple nice grabs as well.

Aromashodu 3-61 yards
Jenkins- 3-45 yards
Absolutely! And for Ponder, getting the ball into some tough spots on those catches. I was really pleasantly surprised both by Ponder and Aroma and Jenkins.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Purple bruise wrote:A little exteme Mr. Kapp :lol: . I never said for a second that I hate JA. I will say that he has tons of games with 0 sacks and few if any tackles in lots of other games. Watch the game over, pay attention to him and see what he did allll day, I asure you NOTHING. It was greatly evident when sure passing downs came up and he was bullied all over the field.
I don't need to re-watch the game. I have eyes. Jared Allen wasn't much of a factor today, and you won't get an argument from me on that.

But your comment that he doesn't show up "all too often" is one that no competent NFL analyst would agree with. There are other factors besides sacks and tackles for a defensive end, including how an offense has to scheme to account for the disruption he causes.

So while you may not hate JA, you can't deny that your comments display a bias that could easily be interpreted as an extreme dislike.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: Absolutely! And for Ponder, getting the ball into some tough spots on those catches. I was really pleasantly surprised both by Ponder and Aroma and Jenkins.
All 3 deserve some love. There were question marks about who would be able to be effective at receiver other than Harvin and Aromashodu and Jenkins stepped up and made important catches today. I haven't had a chance to watch a lot of the game but it sounded like Ponder had a rough start. He certainly made up for it with some clutch throws.

This was far from a perfect win. It left plenty of room for improvement but the important thing is it was a win. If the Vikes can take some momentum from this game and build on it with a win next week, they could get themselves on track for a very encouraging season.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Texas Vike wrote:Players of the game, IMO:

O -- Percy, w/ AD a close second for punching in 2 TDs. Percy's dynamism and versatile production gave us yards, momentum and the energy we needed today.

D -- Greenway; He did an exceptional job in pass coverage today on some very important plays. Also had key tackles of MJD.

ST -- this is a no-brainer: Walsh won this game for us and has already made picking him worth it.
Agree totally ... but I also have to add Christian Ponder.

After a slow start, Ponder really figured out the J'ville defense. He completed 74 percent of his passes, 10.0 ypa, with a 104.5 QBR. That's an exceptional rating, considering he had no TD passes. He also made the play of the game-tying drive with a great throw to Aromashodu.

A.P. has officially ascended from super-stud to God. After watching the sickening injury he sustained last Christmas Eve, I didn't know if we'd ever see him able to do what he did today, let alone do it eight months later. Simply phenomenal. Greatest football player I've ever seen.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:A.P. has officially ascended from super-stud to God. After watching the sickening injury he sustained last Christmas Eve, I didn't know if we'd ever see him able to do what he did today, let alone do it eight months later. Simply phenomenal. Greatest football player I've ever seen.
I think, when all is said and done, that Adrian Peterson will be mentioned in the same breath as Walter Payton whenever the topic of "best ever RB" comes up.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I think Ponder belongs in there too. He was 20-27 for 270 yards and with just 14 seconds left in regulation, with no margin for error, he completed two clutch throws to get the Vikes in range for Walsh's awesome game-tying kick. That's the kind of play the Vikes need from their QB. He then came out and went 3-3 on the Vikings scoring drive in OT.

Jim
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

I forgot to mention two things:

Runner up for D: Brian Robison, my boy from UT Longhorns! Sweet game today. I love that he's been able to turn himself into a starter and a nice compliment to JA.

Musgrave deserves a shout out for the intelligent way he used Percy today (esp. 2nd half). It opened things up. We are so incredibly fortunate to have AD and Percy.