Washington Post article on Christian Ponder

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Washington Post article on Christian Ponder

Post by Mothman »

losperros
Commissioner

Re: Washington Post article on Christian Ponder

Post by losperros »

The article doesn't reveal much of anything that Vikings fans don't already know. I found this quote interesting...
“Confidence only comes from one thing, that’s demonstrated performance,” offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave said. “Can’t build anybody up, can’t give them anything false or fabricated.”
That's about as cut and dry, realistic, and straight to the point as it can be. Ponder needs to know he can get the job done and then he needs to do it.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Thank you for the article. I have said it since draft day, having watched Ponder through out his college days, that the Vikings found their QB in Ponder. For anyone to believe that he would have lasted to the 2nd round, I believe them to be wrong.
The coaches and team seem, for the most part, to have accepted him and are willing to give him the chance, with a full season, preseason and upgraded components to have the chance to succeed.
I won't waste the time going over all of the great QBs that have "made it" after a few years of very sub-par playing. I will, however mention Eli Mann as a case in point. He experienced a dreadful first part of his carrer and then became a very solid QB and a 2 time Super Bowl MVP. Then to have watched him last night against the Cowboys, at home, play a very Ponder like game seemed extrodinary. I would venture to say that with the same exact offense Ponder would have put up at least as good of numbers. I saw Ryan Cook type line play, dropped key passes, and a lot of poor judgement on the part of the coaching staff (sound familiar?) and it proved that even Super Bowl winning teams and QBs can definately choke big time in front of a national audience, at home, against thier biggest rivals. That only adds to my positive feelings about Ponder.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple bruise wrote: Thank you for the article. I have said it since draft day, having watched Ponder through out his college days, that the Vikings found their QB in Ponder. For anyone to believe that he would have lasted to the 2nd round, I believe them to be wrong.
The coaches and team seem, for the most part, to have accepted him and are willing to give him the chance, with a full season, preseason and upgraded components to have the chance to succeed.
I won't waste the time going over all of the great QBs that have "made it" after a few years of very sub-par playing. I will, however mention Eli Mann as a case in point. He experienced a dreadful first part of his carrer and then became a very solid QB and a 2 time Super Bowl MVP. Then to have watched him last night against the Cowboys, at home, play a very Ponder like game seemed extrodinary. I would venture to say that with the same exact offense Ponder would have put up at least as good of numbers. I saw Ryan Cook type line play, dropped key passes, and a lot of poor judgement on the part of the coaching staff (sound familiar?) and it proved that even Super Bowl winning teams and QBs can definately choke big time in front of a national audience, at home, against thier biggest rivals. That only adds to my positive feelings about Ponder.
It's interesting that you mentioned "Ryan Cook type line play" since he came into that game in the first quarter to play center for the Cowboys and from what I heard on the radio this morning, he did a good job (I only saw about 15 minutes of the game myself). Nevertheless, I know what you meant... :)

I don't think anyone can know with certainty that Ponder will be a very good or even great NFL QB but the point you made above has been made many times and it's valid. There's so much evidence in NFL history to indicate that QBs usually take time to develop, that becoming a reliable, quality NFL QB is most often a process, that there's just no good reason to dismiss Ponder at this early stage of his development.

I'm looking forward to seeing him perform and hopefully take some real strides forward as a QB in 2012.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

[/quote]When it comes to intangibles, Ponder has shown them everything they need to see. His charisma and take-charge attitude have quickly solidified him as a locker room favorite and a leader who not only relates well to his teammates but also has earned their respect for playing through injuries.

“Christian’s the kind of guy who not only leads vocally, but he’s a leader by example,” tight end Kyle Rudolph said. “You kind of have to have that from your quarterback. He needs to be one of the hardest workers and Christian is that guy.”[quote][/quote]

I thought this was the best part of it. Something that a young Tjack never had was a respect of the locker room. I think a QB needs to lead from the front in this league.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

dkoby wrote:
When it comes to intangibles, Ponder has shown them everything they need to see. His charisma and take-charge attitude have quickly solidified him as a locker room favorite and a leader who not only relates well to his teammates but also has earned their respect for playing through injuries.

“Christian’s the kind of guy who not only leads vocally, but he’s a leader by example,” tight end Kyle Rudolph said. “You kind of have to have that from your quarterback. He needs to be one of the hardest workers and Christian is that guy.”
I thought this was the best part of it. Something that a young Tjack never had was a respect of the locker room. I think a QB needs to lead from the front in this league.[/quote]

This game should have bolstered all of the positive opinions about him and helped to quell a whole lot of the negative ones. That being said, he has only played in 7 NFL games (many of those with limited time) and I fully expect to see lots of mistakes and certain amounts of failures. ALL of the good ones have had, just look at the great and powerful Aaron Rogers in his HOME opener after going 15-1 the year before.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple bruise wrote:This game should have bolstered all of the positive opinions about him and helped to quell a whole lot of the negative ones. That being said, he has only played in 7 NFL games...
It's actually 12 games but the rest of your post was right on target. :)