Three new kids on the block could play key roles this season

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Three new kids on the block could play key roles this se

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote:While that's true, if Ponder fails, it doesn't matter how much those other units improve. This won't be a team that can get by with a stellar running game, a great defense, and a meathead QB that throws few passes and doesn't fumble when handing off the ball. The Vikings are not going to have a great defense. Even with improvements, it's not likely to be very good.
I suppose it depends on what you mean by "fail". If Ponder is extraordinarily bad or misses a significant number of games then yes, that would be tough to overcome. However, the defense wouldn't have to be great to make a real difference. The Vikings allowed 34 passing TDs and over 4000 yards passing last season. Considering how close some of their games were, even shaving 500 yards and 7-10 TDs off those totals could result in several more wins.

I wouldn't call Webb a "meathead QB" either. Frankly, we don't know how he'd perform over an extended period of time as a starter. He could be a disaster but maybe he'd more effective than expected. It's not as if he's an incompetent passer, just inconsistent and inexperienced (as a pro). He accounted for 5 TDs in his limited playing time last year. That's not bad.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Something I didn't realize: Jefferson had 12 PDs last season. In addition to INTs, this is one area we've seen our corners lacking for years.
PDs are fine...if you aren't one of the most burned corners in the league. If a team goes into a game throwing at Jefferson repeatedly because of how terrible he is on film, of course he's going to have more PDs. Whether this is the case, or he's just good (considering what we got him for, and everything else you read about him maybe it is the case.)
Some will brush this off and say "Oh great, another tackling corner. Just what we need" with the obligatory eye-roll emoticon.
'

Which is great if he's effective in run support, let's hope a lot of those tackles where in run support, and not in "I just got beat for a reception and need to tackle this guy" support. Either way being able to tackle is better than not being able to tackle, the issue "some" have is the Vikings valuing the ability to make a tackle over the ability to actually cover the opposing teams receivers.

At least he has some speed though!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: He threw for 381 yards, 3 TDs and 2 INTs against Denver. If he looks like that very often the Vikes will probably be fine. :) The pick 6 he threw is obviously something that can't be repeated often but overall, he had a good game against the Broncos.

I think a lot more than Ponder's success or failure will determine how the Vikes do this year. Defensive improvement, o-line improvement, how much AD will be able to contribute and several other factors will all be pretty significant. Ponder needs to cut down on turnovers and play well but he's not going to determine the Vikes fate on his own.

Oh.. well his two INTs were killers, though... the pick 6 and the one at the end of the 4th quarter that set Denver up to win.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Oh.. well his two INTs were killers, though... the pick 6 and the one at the end of the 4th quarter that set Denver up to win.
Absolutely. If he makes those kind of mistakes too often, it will be a killer.

OTOH, if he can throw for 300+ yards without making those mistakes, that would be nice. :)
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Eli wrote:If Ponder fails, the Vikings _will_ be the worst team in the NFL.
If Ponder fails, absolutely sucks, then I agree. I think a lot is riding on his development. The same can be said about Adrian Peterson's return. What will he be like this year?

I definitely believe that if Ponder looks good and AD can be his old self, even if it takes half of a season for Peterson to get there, that's going to do wonders for the Vikings this year.