Three new kids on the block could play key roles this season

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Three new kids on the block could play key roles this season

Post by Mothman »

This was a decent read and maybe it will give us something to talk about other than Joe Webb!

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_21 ... could-play
Three new Vikings faces are at three different points in their football journeys, but with one common thread.

Work prevails.

Of the 53 Vikings on the roster entering Week 1 against Jacksonville, 15 were acquired either via April's draft (eight), veteran free agency (five) or through trade/waivers during last weekend's roster trimming (two).

Each group has a story -- and a plan.
The 3 players are A.J. Jefferson, Matt Kalil and John Carlson.

I really hope Carlson and play be effective right out of the gate. Anything and everything that helps the passing game, especially while Simpson is out, is a big plus.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Three new kids on the block could play key roles this se

Post by dead_poet »

Thanks for the link. Something I didn't realize: Jefferson had 12 PDs last season. In addition to INTs, this is one area we've seen our corners lacking for years. I remember compiling some stats either last season or the season before and we've annually been one of the worst in this regard. To illustrate the pain, last season we were 31st in the league with a whopping 58 passes defended. The top 3 teams all had over 120. We were 26th in '09 (73) before a "decent" showing in 2010 (17th, 79). I often wonder if this is a product of the Tampa-2, less talented corners or (most likely) a combination of the two. Don't get me wrong, the team is usually good at tackling the receiver after they caught the ball, limiting their YAC...but I don't think it's too much to ask to prevent them from catching the ball on occasion, too. That strikes me as a better idea, defensively.
"They are getting a great player," he said. "They're getting a fast player, someone who's competitive and a ballhawk all around."
I like his attitude but, honestly, there's probably a good reason why he was shopped and why he was traded for essentially nothing (something like a 7th that could be improved to a 6th based on performance). I'm curious as to why he was constantly burned (specifically by Boldin last season). Was he asked to play the slot when he's much stronger on the outside where he can use his size and speed more effectively that cutting? I read something on PFF that mentioned Boldin's great game (one of the top 10 best graded performances out of a WR by PFF last season). They did refer to Jefferson as "previously impressive." So there just might be something there.

PFF mentions elsewhere how Jefferson was #1 among corners in tackling efficiency.
In addition to being the best cornerback in the NFL–and maybe the best since Deion Sanders–Darrelle Revis also went the entire season without missing a tackle in run support. The Jets’ defensive stud made 14 solo tackles and was in on another assist in the run game without a single miss, tying him for the lead with Arizona’s A.J. Jefferson

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... rnerbacks/

Some will brush this off and say "Oh great, another tackling corner. Just what we need" with the obligatory eye-roll emoticon. However for such a minuscule risk, it's not a bad return. Because the alternative is having a mediocre coverage corner with poor tackling ability. GIven those two options, I prefer the former. Even though Winfield's season was cut short, he was listed as PFF's #9 tackling corner. We all know how good he is in that regard. For some perpective, Jefferson was graded out only nine spots lower.

At the very least he must show more potential than Carr or Bowman and can probably be fairly effective on special teams given his speed and tackling abilities, likely an upgrade over the former jettisoned corners. At the very worst he makes the team marginally better. I'm all for better, no matter the degree. Especially at this point in the season when you're not going to likely get a blue chip star player.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Thanks for the link. Something I didn't realize: Jefferson had 12 PDs last season. In addition to INTs, this is one area we've seen our corners lacking for years. I remember compiling some stats either last season or the season before and we've annually been one of the worst in this regard. To illustrate the pain, last season we were 31st in the league with a whopping 58 passes defended. The top 3 teams all had over 120. We were 26th in '09 (73) before a "decent" showing in 2010 (17th, 79). I often wonder if this is a product of the Tampa-2, less talented corners or (most likely) a combination of the two.
I think it's probably a combination of the two. I'm guessing zone coverage teams generally rank lower in passes defended than teams that focus on man-to-man coverage but a zone defense should still be able to accumulate a good number of passes defended. If they're not, that probably speaks to talent.
PFF mentions elsewhere how Jefferson was #1 among corners in tackling efficiency.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... rnerbacks/

Some will brush this off and say "Oh great, another tackling corner. Just what we need" with the obligatory eye-roll emoticon.
That's something I've never understood. Good tackling is a valuable trait in any defender. Why wouldn't a team want corners who tackle well? A corner who tackles well is only a problem if he can't cover.
At the very least he must show more potential than Carr or Bowman and can probably be fairly effective on special teams given his speed and tackling abilities, likely an upgrade over the former jettisoned corners. At the very worst he makes the team marginally better. I'm all for better, no matter the degree. Especially at this point in the season when you're not going to likely get a blue chip star player.
Agreed... plus Jefferson is young and can still get better. I like the trade and I'm hoping he can help the Vikes this year.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: That's something I've never understood. Good tackling is a valuable trait in any defender. Why wouldn't a team want corners who tackle well? A corner who tackles well is only a problem if he can't cover.
Let me explain the frustration that some of us have. As you said, a CB that tackles well but can't cover is a problem. That's why some of us are sick of hearing how well a CB can hit (which is what we hear more than "tackle") when the same CB can't cover worth a damn. It's like Childress' fascination with wide receivers that were good run blockers. Unfortunately, many of these precious run blockers, such as Billy McMullen, couldn't run routes, jump, or catch. It's wide RECEIVER, not wide run blocker. By the same token, a corner is there to cover receivers. Yes, they need to provide run support as well but covering receivers is the most essential part of their job.

Antoine Winfield is one of my favorite Vikings players. He tackles very well. But he's also a good all-around corner and can cover receivers.

Anyway, all defensive players should be able to wrap up their tackles or maybe they shouldn't be defensive players.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:I really hope Carlson and play be effective right out of the gate. Anything and everything that helps the passing game, especially while Simpson is out, is a big plus.
Yes, you hit the nail right on the head. It's imperative that the passing game gets all the help it can. With Simpson out, I think both Rudolph and Carlson are going to have to play big parts in the offense.

On that note, I'm really hoping that the two TEs can create mismatches and problems for defenses all season long. It seems as if the Vikings are counting on the 2 TE sets to do that and it will help both the passing and running game. Anything to get this offense going!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:Let me explain the frustration that some of us have. As you said, a CB that tackles well but can't cover is a problem. That's why some of us are sick of hearing how well a CB can hit (which is what we hear more than "tackle") when the same CB can't cover worth a damn. It's like Childress' fascination with wide receivers that were good run blockers. Unfortunately, many of these precious run blockers, such as Billy McMullen, couldn't run routes, jump, or catch. It's wide RECEIVER, not wide run blocker. By the same token, a corner is there to cover receivers. Yes, they need to provide run support as well but covering receivers is the most essential part of their job.
It is part of their job and I understand the frustration over corners that can tackle but can't cover. That frustrates me too. However, I think the Vikings have made a genuine effort in the last few years to find fast DBs that can cover. The jury is still out on most of those players but between Cook, Burton, Robinson, Raymond, Smith and now Jefferson, I don't get the impression they are targeting DBs with a priority on tackling ability over covering ability. It seems like they're trying to find players who can do both. Hopefully, some of these DBs will become big contributors on defense.
losperros wrote:Yes, you hit the nail right on the head. It's imperative that the passing game gets all the help it can. With Simpson out, I think both Rudolph and Carlson are going to have to play big parts in the offense.

On that note, I'm really hoping that the two TEs can create mismatches and problems for defenses all season long. It seems as if the Vikings are counting on the 2 TE sets to do that and it will help both the passing and running game. Anything to get this offense going!
Agreed! I'm actually pretty excited to see what those TEs can do on the field together and I hope Musgrave has some good ideas to get them open and get them involved.

Jim
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:It is part of their job and I understand the frustration over corners that can tackle but can't cover. That frustrates me too. However, I think the Vikings have made a genuine effort in the last few years to find fast DBs that can cover. The jury is still out on most of those players but between Cook, Burton, Robinson, Raymond, Smith and now Jefferson, I don't get the impression they are targeting DBs with a priority on tackling ability over covering ability. It seems like they're trying to find players who can do both. Hopefully, some of these DBs will become big contributors on defense.

I'm hoping the same thing. I guess one does have to keep in mind that this is a different team now, what with newer and mostly younger players, more speed, and hopefully a brighter future. I think that's what Spielman is trying to accomplish and if he does, it's a job very well done.

I noticed the article mentions that Harrison Smith has a "nose for the ball." That's what every defender needs. That kind of awareness will help them with every facet of their game. I'd like to see that from the Vikings D.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:I'm hoping the same thing. I guess one does have to keep in mind that this is a different team now, what with newer and mostly younger players, more speed, and hopefully a brighter future. I think that's what Spielman is trying to accomplish and if he does, it's a job very well done.
I sure hope this Vikings youth movement yields a brighter future. Reusse wrote a pretty useless column about the potential dark side of this rebuilding effort (ie: the consequences if it fails) the other day. I say "useless" because it didn't provide any real insight, just pointed out what we're all too aware of already: that failure could mean an extended down period for the team. Hopefully, that won't happen. I see a few genuine reasons for optimism and by the end of the season, maybe there will be more. It would be great if the Vikings could surprise some people this year. I just heard some fantasy football clown on NFLN say they will be the worst team in the NFL! I'd love to see guys like that eating crow in December.

Jim
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: I just heard some fantasy football clown on NFLN say they will be the worst team in the NFL! I'd love to see guys like that eating crow in December
I think John Clayton has the Vikings ranked last in his power rankings. F him. I really hope they surprise some people. And I hope teams overlook them.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

If Ponder fails, the Vikings _will_ be the worst team in the NFL. I have very little doubt about that. So it really hinges on what you predict for Ponder. The Vikings aren't going to sub Joe Webb or MBT as a fix for any problems (never mind injuries) that Ponder may have, so there's zero upside in going that direction. Peterson may or may not come back strong. An offense built around Toby Gerhart won't win many games in the NFL in 2012.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:I think John Clayton has the Vikings ranked last in his power rankings. F him. I really hope they surprise some people. And I hope teams overlook them.
I think the same "F him" thought about Clayton quite a bit lately. He's practically obsessed with star quarterbacks and at every opportunity, he's been talking about how Green Bay is going to win 3 Super Bowls in 6 years. I'd love to see this year's Vikes make his prediction for them look foolish and I would really love it he was completely wrong about the Packers.

On the more optimistic side, Don Banks thinks the Vikes could surprise this year and Peter King thinks they'll be better than many expect too.

Jim
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Eli wrote:If Ponder fails, the Vikings _will_ be the worst team in the NFL. I have very little doubt about that.

I absolutely agree with that. 100%. If Ponder looks as good as he did when he was good last year (against GB for example), they could be .500. If he looks like he did against Denver or Oakland, a 4 win season would be optimistic.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I absolutely agree with that. 100%. If Ponder looks as good as he did when he was good last year (against GB for example), they could be .500. If he looks like he did against Denver or Oakland, a 4 win season would be optimistic.
He threw for 381 yards, 3 TDs and 2 INTs against Denver. If he looks like that very often the Vikes will probably be fine. :) The pick 6 he threw is obviously something that can't be repeated often but overall, he had a good game against the Broncos.

I think a lot more than Ponder's success or failure will determine how the Vikes do this year. Defensive improvement, o-line improvement, how much AD will be able to contribute and several other factors will all be pretty significant. Ponder needs to cut down on turnovers and play well but he's not going to determine the Vikes fate on his own.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:. Ponder needs to cut down on turnovers and play well but he's not going to determine the Vikes fate on his own.
True. But his success or failure likely will -- more than any other player on the field -- determine the outcome of this season. That's what's going to make it so exciting to watch.

Despite this, I'm really looking forward to seeing guys like Josh Robinson and Harrison Smith in real game situations and their growth over the course of the season. These are our new Vikings for the immediate future. I can't recall a Vikings team this young in quite awhile.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Mothman wrote:I think a lot more than Ponder's success or failure will determine how the Vikes do this year. Defensive improvement, o-line improvement, how much AD will be able to contribute and several other factors will all be pretty significant. Ponder needs to cut down on turnovers and play well but he's not going to determine the Vikes fate on his own.
While that's true, if Ponder fails, it doesn't matter how much those other units improve. This won't be a team that can get by with a stellar running game, a great defense, and a meathead QB that throws few passes and doesn't fumble when handing off the ball. The Vikings are not going to have a great defense. Even with improvements, it's not likely to be very good.