Vikings VS Jaguars Predictions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikings VS Jaguars Predictions

Post by Mothman »

808vikingsfan wrote:
Wow. Did anyone read this?
I did. :)

Regarding the game... I expect it to be close. I give the Vikes a slight edge because they'll be at home but that's the only reason. Both teams have a lot to prove and both will want to get 2012 off to a good start after bad seasons in 2011. Jacksonville has a good defense so I expect this to be a relatively low scoring game. I'll predict a Vikes win... because I'm a Vikes fan. :smilevike:
smoothoperator
Transition Player

Post by smoothoperator »

jacksonville has a good defense? hahaha, what? they were last in the league in pts, second to last in pass yards and total yards. their rush defense is marginal though.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

smoothoperator wrote:jacksonville has a good defense? hahaha, what? they were last in the league in pts, second to last in pass yards and total yards. their rush defense is marginal though.
I'm not sure where you got those rankings but according to NFL.com, they're wildly inaccurate.

In 2011, Jacksonville finished 6th in the league in total yards allowed and 11th in points allowed. I'm not sure how many, if any, of those points were scored by opponents on turnovers or special teams returns. NFL.com's stat for points allowed doesn't make that distinction.

The Jaguars finished 8th in pass defense (yards allowed) and 9th in run defense. Their "marginal" run defense allowed an average of 3.8 ypc. Only 3 run defenses allowed a lower ypc.

Considering all of the above, I think it's safe to describe their defense as "good".
smoothoperator
Transition Player

Post by smoothoperator »

got those numbers straight from nfl.com
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

smoothoperator wrote:got those numbers straight from nfl.com
Then you looked at the wrong team. Jacksonville was #6 in total defense in the league last year.

Try this site:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/ ... on/defense
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

smoothoperator wrote:got those numbers straight from nfl.com
Are you sure you weren't looking at their offensive numbers or perhaps a different year? The rankings I just posted came from from NFL.com too and other sites confirm them. Check out the link Craig posted above if you have any doubts.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

jags 24 vikings 10 :govikes:
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Vikes-16 Jags-13
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

The Jags are just awful team and we are playing at home ...

if we can't beat the Jags we should go play in the lingerie league or something less challenging
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

MJD reported. Doesn't expect to see many touches for a few weeks but he may be on the field some week 1.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:MJD reported. Doesn't expect to see many touches for a few weeks but he may be on the field some week 1.

Thanks for the info. I figured he'd report once the season opener was imminent.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

dead_poet wrote:MJD reported. Doesn't expect to see many touches for a few weeks but he may be on the field some week 1.
vikings 0-1 :govikes:
Doc Holliday904
Waterboy

Post by Doc Holliday904 »

smoothoperator wrote:jacksonville has a good defense? hahaha, what? they were last in the league in pts, second to last in pass yards and total yards. their rush defense is marginal though.
Maybe you should do your homework before you go talking out of rear end. It's fans like you that make the rest of Viking Fans look dumb.

Hello Viking Fans,

I am a Jag fan but I didnt come here to troll. It should be a great game as the Jags have a much improved offense and we still have every member of a #6 Defense from last year. 2 2nd QB's going at it with a offseason under their belt it should be a good one! Good Luck!
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

Doc Holliday904 wrote: Maybe you should do your homework before you go talking out of rear end. It's fans like you that make the rest of Viking Fans look dumb.

Hello Viking Fans,

I am a Jag fan but I didnt come here to troll. It should be a great game as the Jags have a much improved offense and we still have every member of a #6 Defense from last year. 2 2nd QB's going at it with a offseason under their belt it should be a good one! Good Luck!
The Jags were ranked #11 in team defense. They were ranked #8 in passing defense and ranked #9 in rushing defense.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/y ... 11/opp.htm
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Juice wrote: The Jags were ranked #11 in team defense. They were ranked #8 in passing defense and ranked #9 in rushing defense.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/y ... 11/opp.htm

HA! Just as I thought: "Pushovers" Our 31st ranked defense will make short work of them :wink:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!