Vikings VS Jaguars Predictions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Doc Holliday904
Waterboy

Re: Vikings VS Jaguars Predictions

Post by Doc Holliday904 »

Juice wrote: The Jags were ranked #11 in team defense. They were ranked #8 in passing defense and ranked #9 in rushing defense.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/y ... 11/opp.htm
#6 according to NFL.com I'll take their word over profootball
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... 447263-n=1
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Juice wrote:The Jags were ranked #11 in team defense. They were ranked #8 in passing defense and ranked #9 in rushing defense.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/y ... 11/opp.htm
Doc Holliday904 wrote:#6 according to NFL.com I'll take their word over profootball
You two are talking about different rankings. I posted all of this info earlier in the thread!

The Jaguars were 6th in total yards allowed and 11th in points allowed so depending on what making you're looking at, #6 and #11 are both correct.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

ponder vs gabbert ! :popcorn:
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

if their defense was that good their offense or special teams must have really been terrible to lose that many games
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

Mothman wrote:You two are talking about different rankings. I posted all of this info earlier in the thread!

The Jaguars were 6th in total yards allowed and 11th in points allowed so depending on what making you're looking at, #6 and #11 are both correct.
:oops: Oops, You're right. Also, I must have accidently skipped over your post until you mentioned it, sorry about that.

I feel that those numbers are a little misleading and don't really paint the whole picture of a defense. The Jaguars were just above league average in INT's, fumble recoveries and below league average in sacks. Yes, they looked great in points allowed and yards allowed but when you look at some of the offenses they faced, it raises some questions.

Yards: Jets (25), Browns (29), Colts x2 (30)
Scoring: Titans x2 (22) , Bucs (27), Colts x2 (28), Browns (30)

Anyway, we'll find out soon enough. :)
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

jackal wrote:if their defense was that good their offense or special teams must have really been terrible to lose that many games

Yes, you're right. The Jags were last in total yards offensively last season, despite MJD's heroics.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Juice wrote: :oops: Oops, You're right. Also, I must have accidently skipped over your post until you mentioned it, sorry about that.
No need to apologize... :)
I feel that those numbers are a little misleading and don't really paint the whole picture of a defense. The Jaguars were just above league average in INT's, fumble recoveries and below league average in sacks. Yes, they looked great in points allowed and yards allowed but when you look at some of the offenses they faced, it raises some questions.
I don't know if those rankings are exactly misleading but a few stats like that never paint a complete picture. However, when you look at their defensive stats as a whole, it doesn't exactly paint the picture of a soft defense either...

This is a new season so who knows how they'll play? As you said, we'll find out soon enough. :)

Jim
Now its our time
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Now its our time »

Vikings-14
Jaguars-10

Low scoring game but I see us taking it. The Jaguars won't have MJD and our offense will have enough to get past the Jax D, even if AP doesn't play
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

I see this as a winnable game. I also see it as being lose-able. In order for the Vikings to come out victorious the offense has to click from the start. When we have the lead in the second half the coaching staff can't coach "to not lose". We have to stay aggressive. Our defense will tire very quickly if we keep going 3 and out. Even if AD plays I don't foresee him getting more than 10 carries, if that. This game will be in Ponder's hands. He will have to step up and make plays. If these things happen I can see the team coming away with its first W of the season. With all that said I predict the Vikings will win. Our opening drive will end with a TD pass to Rudolph. Everyone on the board will be ecstatic and then the next few (I'll say 4) drives will result in 0 points and everyone will want Ponder benched and coach fired.

Vikings - 17
Jaguars - 6
Greg
Career Elite Player

Post by Greg »

Jaguars 21
Vikings 24

:rock:
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Purple Kool Aid Time

:thumbsup:

Vikings 24 Jags 13

Jarad Allen is going to go nuts on Gabbert and we get a pick six off a pressure thrown mistake

2.5 Sack game for Allen 6 sacks all together
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
RandomJagsFan
Waterboy

Post by RandomJagsFan »

Realistically the Jaguars are much better than the Vikings especially without Peterson. But I will still say it's a close game to avoid any confrontation.
RandomJagsFan
Waterboy

Post by RandomJagsFan »

Now its our time wrote:Vikings-14
Jaguars-10

Low scoring game but I see us taking it. The Jaguars won't have MJD and our offense will have enough to get past the Jax D, even if AP doesn't play
We do have MJD and the Vikings offense is near last in the league whilst our defense is in the top 10. Homerism is fun isn't it.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

RandomJagsFan wrote:We do have MJD
Finally. He'll get a few touches but it's not like he's going to be toting the rock 20-30 times. He won't be your starter. But he's still dangerous when he touches the ball. Sounds like another back I'm thinking of who just might, coincidentally, get a few carries tonight as well.
and the Vikings offense is near last in the league
I forgot the powerhouse that is Blaine Gabbert. :roll: And, actually, I'm pretty sure our offense is tied for first...with the rest of the league. It's a new season. Which is a very good thing for both of our teams. I think our offense could surprise some this season, especially in the mid to late portion of the season.
whilst our defense is in the top 10. Homerism is fun isn't it.
Yep. You had a good defense last season. I'm excited to see how ours has improved with the return of some all-stars (Kevin Williams, Jared Allen) and return of some guys coming off injury/off-field issues (Winfield, Cook) and new guys like Harrison Smith. Looking forward to a good game.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

RandomJagsFan wrote:We do have MJD and the Vikings offense is near last in the league whilst our defense is in the top 10. Homerism is fun isn't it.
That wasn't even true last year. They finished 18th in the league in total offense (19th in scoring).

This preseason (which is admittedly meaningless) the Vikings offense is ranked 3rd and as dead_poet pointed out, it's a new season so no team's offense has an official regular season ranking yet.

Apparently, "homerism" isn't as much fun as making up your own stats... ;)

By the way, unlike the Vikings, the Jaguars actually ranked last in the league in total yards in 2011 (not "near last"... last) and they weren't much better in scoring (#28). That's not exactly a point their favor if we makes assumptions about this season based on last year's stats, is it?

I'm giving you a hard time but I see this as a "pick 'em" game. Either team could win and I think both will give it everything they have because they'll be eager to erase the pain they suffered last year and start this season off right.

Jim