Star Tribune article about Joe Webb

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Star Tribune article about Joe Webb

Post by Mothman »

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... =y&refer=y
Webb will start at quarterback in the Vikings' final preseason game at Houston on Thursday night. If all goes as planned, this will be his one and only start in place of Christian Ponder. But that doesn't mean offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave hasn't spent hours scheming of ways to use that big young rabbit every now and then once the regular season starts.

"I think we have a good feel for what we want to feature when Joe is on the field this year," Musgrave said. "There's a balancing act with how much we use him and how many plays [in a row] we use him. We're trying to get Joe in there without disturbing the system for Christian."
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Star Tribune article about Joe Webb

Post by dead_poet »

Thanks for the link. Good read. Two passages jumped out at me.
"I consider myself a pass-first quarterback," Webb said. "I go through my [route] progressions first. But if something breaks down, God blessed me with running ability. Why not use it?"
Webb was asked how he would use Joe Webb if he could be a coach for one game day.

"I don't know how to answer that question," Webb said. "I would just say that I'd find ways to get me on the field. But that's a hard question to answer."

Sometimes knowing how and when to use the rabbit can be almost as difficult as catching him.
Really wish there was a way to get him on the field more. But perhaps his skill set only limits him to certain packages. One can't help but wonder if he was in another system (New England, for example) how they'd be developing him.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Really wish there was a way to get him on the field more. But perhaps his skill set only limits him to certain packages. One can't help but wonder if he was in another system (New England, for example) how they'd be developing him.
I think they'd be doing the same thing. Honestly, I believe the best way to get Webb on the field more is for Webb himself to develop as a passer and earn a spot as the starting QB. Beyond that, I think all they can do is try to work in special packages for him. I just don't see how his skills translate to another position.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

joe webb should be able to run a 9 route like randy moss. he's an athlete. stupid wasting time trying to develop him into a qb like bill cowher tried to do with kordella stewart. :vike:
DarthBrooks
Transition Player

Post by DarthBrooks »

Mothman wrote: I think they'd be doing the same thing. Honestly, I believe the best way to get Webb on the field more is for Webb himself to develop as a passer and earn a spot as the starting QB. Beyond that, I think all they can do is try to work in special packages for him. I just don't see how his skills translate to another position.
They don't. As much as people want him at WR, corner or safety he's a QB, and one with very good potential.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

This is his third year in the NFL. Any potential he has is based on his 4.3 40 time. He still looks like a guy who's just entering his freshman year of college. He doesn't have accuracy, a terribly strong arm, or much else that translates to being a successful QB. And I'm a little mind boggled by this love affair with him. Which appears to be because he's a freak athlete, and not much else. His skillset translates even LESS to the quarterback position than any other position...
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

hibbingviking wrote:joe webb should be able to run a 9 route like randy moss. he's an athlete. stupid wasting time trying to develop him into a qb like bill cowher tried to do with kordella stewart. :vike:

I disagree. Joe Webb could never run a 9 route like Randy Moss. Not one bit. Moss brings tons more to the field as a receiver than Webb does. Keep in mind that his own coaches have said Webb doesn't have the best hands. No one says that about Moss, who has made some of the most breathtaking catches ever seen on a football field.

Maybe this is part of Webb's problem. He's not Randy Moss or a great quarterback, he is simply Joe Webb the athlete. Since the Vikings seem determined to utilize him in some way, then I hope Webb the athlete can fit into their gameplan. But if they expect Webb to be a stud QB or WR, I predict the experiment will crash and burn.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Demi wrote:This is his third year in the NFL. Any potential he has is based on his 4.3 40 time. He still looks like a guy who's just entering his freshman year of college. He doesn't have accuracy, a terribly strong arm, or much else that translates to being a successful QB. And I'm a little mind boggled by this love affair with him. Which appears to be because he's a freak athlete, and not much else. His skillset translates even LESS to the quarterback position than any other position...
This will be Web's third season and he has only played in partial games and has only started in just a couple. He is playing with limited experience and did in fact make some very good plays in his brief career. Webb in his second season was with out a training camp to speak of.
How many qbs come in playing, as you always point out so freely, on a terrible team, that has horrible coaching, BAD players and has much of a chance to succeed? He ended up with a credible 74.6% rating which exceeded his 60.9 rating from his rookie year. To me and apparently the coaches, that is showing promise. And what is this crock about a love affair with him? Please show me some posts that would give you that idea.
MAYBE THE COACHES NOTICE A LITTLE POTENTIAL IN THIS KID AS I AND MANY OTHER FANS DO AND I AM THE FIRST TO ADMIT HE HAS HAD HIS FARE SHARE OF SCREW UPS.

If vulgar rap offends you, you might turn down the volume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RBRgJCcNTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0EBoWMz ... re=fvwrell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0EBoWMz ... ure=fvwrel
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TeamChaplain »

hibbingviking wrote:joe webb should be able to run a 9 route like randy moss. he's an athlete. stupid wasting time trying to develop him into a qb like bill cowher tried to do with kordella stewart. :vike:
:appl:
From the Fjords of ValHalla
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Demi wrote:This is his third year in the NFL. Any potential he has is based on his 4.3 40 time. He still looks like a guy who's just entering his freshman year of college. He doesn't have accuracy, a terribly strong arm, or much else that translates to being a successful QB. And I'm a little mind boggled by this love affair with him. Which appears to be because he's a freak athlete, and not much else. His skillset translates even LESS to the quarterback position than any other position...
Its even more perplexing when one considers that Webb was drafted to be a WR because that was the consensus position for him coming out of college, but then the esteemed QB talent evaluator Brad Childress measured his hands and decided he could make him into a pro QB while simultaneously shipping Rosenfels while Favre held down the starter's job for another season.

In any other time and place, Joe Webb would have had his shot as a WR/returner and likely become a bit player for either the Vikings or another NFL team. Instead, Webb is likely to end up starting several games this year because I have no confidence Ponder is going to stay healthy doing his head-first slides.

I'd love to believe this team has turned the corner, but I think they have another season of futility ahead of them before more changes are made to get things corrected. One of those things is going to be getting the QB situation squared away, if not the starter, then the depth. Spielman supposedly controls the players. If he wants to demonstrate he knows what he's doing, he could provide evidence of that by ensuring that the Vikings have a viable option at the backup QB position.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I think this is a wasted roster spot.. I would have felt much better having sage as our back up if Ponder goes down
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I think too much importance is being placed on the view that Webb came out of college as a player who should be converted to another position. Rich Gannon was drafted to play another position too (I believe the Pats wanted him to play safety) but he eventually ended up being a very good NFL quarterback.

Webb got a brief shot to play receiver with the Vikes and he wasn't impressive. They practiced him at the position, played him a little bit here and there, and decided he was better off at QB. It was Webb's pro day workout (as a WR) at UAB and his sophomore season playing WR that probably led him to be viewed as a WR coming out in the draft. Maybe he was just advised by his agent or somebody that he would have a better chance to get to the NFL playing that position than QB. It doesn't necessarily mean that every scout, coach and team other than Brad Childress and the Vikes saw Webb as a pro receiving prospect.

If you look at Webb's college stats, they reflect clear development as a QB. By his senior year, he was completing just under 60% of his passes. He threw for 2,299 yards, 21 TDs and just 8 INTs while also rushing for over 1400 yards. If he's going to be a starting NFL QB at some point, his game needs to be developed but he's not without genuine potential. He has a strong, arm, incredible mobility and escapability, etc. he needs to work on reading defenses and accuracy but those are areas in which a QB can actually improve with practice and coaching. With the team in rebuilding mode anyway, I don't see why it isn't worthwhile to spend a season developing Webb as a QB and see what happens.

Jim
Last edited by Mothman on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:If you look at Webb's college stats, they reflect clear development as a QB. By his senior year, he was completing just under 60% of his passe (59.8). He threw for 2,299 yards, 21 TDs and just 8 INTs while also rushing for over 1400 yards. If he's going to be a starting NFL QB at some point, his game needs to be developed but he's not without genuine potential. He has a strong, arm, incredible mobility and escapability, etc. he needs to work on reading defenses and accuracy but those are areas in which a QB can actually improve with practice and coaching. With the team in rebuilding mode anyway, I don't see why it isn't worthwhile to spend a season developing Webb as a QB and see what happens.
Your point is well taken, Jim, and it makes sense. Here's what I'm wondering. Are reading defenses and throwing accurate passes really part of Webb's game, regardless how much he works at it? If not, and I suspect that's the case, then the Vikings need to utilize Joe Webb as he is. If being a scrambler and/or change of pace backup QB is what Webb can do, then make that work. Sure, try to develop Webb for another season, if that's what it takes for the Vikings to make a decision about him, but then live with the decision when it's made. Pounding a square peg into a round hole won't work.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:Your point is well taken, Jim, and it makes sense. Here's what I'm wondering. Are reading defenses and throwing accurate passes really part of Webb's game, regardless how much he works at it? If not, and I suspect that's the case, then the Vikings need to utilize Joe Webb as he is. If being a scrambler and/or change of pace backup QB is what Webb can do, then make that work. Sure, try to develop Webb for another season, if that's what it takes for the Vikings to make a decision about him, but then live with the decision when it's made. Pounding a square peg into a round hole won't work.
I agree that they need to be decisive about Webb after this season, one way or another. As for reading defenses and throwing accurate passes... I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Don't those things need to be a part of any NFL QB's game? If Webb's not proficient in those areas then he needs to improve and if he can't, I suspect the proverbial writing is on the wall for him. If you're just saying they shouldn't try to turn him into a pocket passer who doesn't take sufficient advantage of his great running ability then I agree 100%. They need to help him improve as a passer without taking away from his strengths.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:I agree that they need to be decisive about Webb after this season, one way or another. As for reading defenses and throwing accurate passes... I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Don't those things need to be a part of any NFL QB's game? If Webb's not proficient in those areas then he needs to improve and if he can't, I suspect the proverbial writing is on the wall for him. If you're just saying they shouldn't try to turn him into a pocket passer who doesn't take sufficient advantage of his great running ability then I agree 100%. They need to help him improve as a passer without taking away from his strengths.

I'm saying both. QBs need to read defenses and pass accurately, and Webb shouldn't be expected to transform into something he isn't. What we've seen of Webb (athlete with strong arm and good speed) may be what he really is, regardless how much time and practice he gets. Therefore, the experiment has to end at some point.

(Using my best Kwai Chang Caine impersonation) "A man is what he is." :D