Star Tribune article about Joe Webb

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Star Tribune article about Joe Webb

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:I'm saying both. QBs need to read defenses and pass accurately, and Webb shouldn't be expected to transform into something he isn't. What we've seen of Webb (athlete with strong arm and good speed) may be what he really is, regardless how much time and practice he gets. Therefore, the experiment has to end at some point.

(Using my best Kwai Chang Caine impersonation) "A man is what he is." :D
Ah, this grasshopper understands...

The experiment definitely has to end at some point but I think it's worth continuing for now. Webb was a third string QB in his first season and my understanding is third string QBs don't get many quality snaps in practice. Last year, his time was divided trying to learn to play both WR and QB and he had no real offseason with the coaches between 2010 and 2011. This year he'll be able to focus his undivided attention on playing QB and he'll get the practice snaps of a second string QB, not a third stringer. He also has the benefit of a normal offseason with team. It's not truly his first chance to develop as an NFL QB but I think the team committed to keeping him at that position this season because of all the above. They recognize his raw ability and realize the need to focus on developing his skills so they can truly see what they have in Webb. If he doesn't show marked improvement over the course of this season, I'm betting the experiment will end or, at the very least, he'll be demoted back to third string.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote:I think too much importance is being placed on the view that Webb came out of college as a player who should be converted to another position. Rich Gannon was drafted to play another position too (I believe the Pats wanted him to play safety) but he eventually ended up being a very good NFL quarterback.

Webb got a brief shot to play receiver with the Vikes and he wasn't impressive. They practiced him at the position, played him a little bit here and there, and decided he was better off at QB. It was Webb's pro day workout (as a WR) at UAB and his sophomore season playing WR that probably led him to be viewed as a WR coming out in the draft. Maybe he was just advised by his agent or somebody that he would have a better chance to get to the NFL playing that position than QB. It doesn't necessarily mean that every scout, coach and team other than Brad Childress and the Vikes saw Webb as a pro receiving prospect.

If you look at Webb's college stats, they reflect clear development as a QB. By his senior year, he was completing just under 60% of his passes. He threw for 2,299 yards, 21 TDs and just 8 INTs while also rushing for over 1400 yards. If he's going to be a starting NFL QB at some point, his game needs to be developed but he's not without genuine potential. He has a strong, arm, incredible mobility and escapability, etc. he needs to work on reading defenses and accuracy but those are areas in which a QB can actually improve with practice and coaching. With the team in rebuilding mode anyway, I don't see why it isn't worthwhile to spend a season developing Webb as a QB and see what happens.

Jim
Webb's stint at WR was a very short one. He was converted to QB early in camp by Childress. Sure he got a few token reps at WR during his career but certainly not the type of development one needs when switching from QB to WR. Nothing like say, a Ryan D'Imperio, received when he switched from LB to FB. He was certainly a multifaceted player coming out of college, with the potential to play multiple positions, but I think the consensus was his best shot at an NFL career was at WR. I think that's what Spielman drafted him to be.

Also, Webb played WR at the Senior Bowl. When you play WR in that sort of game and at your pro day as you pointed out, it's probably safe to assume most scouts projected him to be a WR rather than a QB at the next level.
"Joe is one of the most phenomenal athletes in the country," Senior Bowl President and CEO Steve Hale said. "He reminds me a lot of former Senior Bowler Matt Jones of Arkansas, who also played quarterback in college but came here as a wide receiver. I can tell you that there is a lot of interest from NFL personnel to see him line up as a wide receiver here in Mobile."
All that being said, I agree with keeping Webb. Sage is simply too old to be a viable option here and while Webb and MBT are very raw, they at least have youth on their side. I would expect to see both Webb and MBT replaced after the year barring any significant growth.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:Webb's stint at WR was a very short one. He was converted to QB early in camp by Childress. Sure he got a few token reps at WR during his career but certainly not the type of development one needs when switching from QB to WR. Nothing like say, a Ryan D'Imperio, received when he switched from LB to FB. He was certainly a multifaceted player coming out of college, with the potential to play multiple positions, but I think the consensus was his best shot at an NFL career was at WR. I think that's what Spielman drafted him to be.
It is but sometimes the consensus is wrong. :) I'm not sure why he was invited to the Senior Bowl as a WR (or even who makes such decisions). He was productive at the position as a college sophomore but not extremely so and I recall reading that he had trouble getting open during Senior Bowl week. His production as a QB was far more impressive. However, despite being among the top QBs in the nation in terms of passing efficiency during his senior year, he was projected to play WR in the NFL. I think the bottom line regarding a position for Webb is at either spot, WR or QB, he was going to be a project. He wasn't considered a mechanically sound passer coming out of college and he reportedly had trouble reading defenses. Those things still hold true so he remains a project. He's flashed enough potential as a pro to make the Vikings decision to focus on his development this year understandable but as we seem to agree, if he doesn't show significant growth this season, the Vikings may pull the plug on the whole experiment.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

Joe Webb is shakier than cafeteria Jell-O. some good and alot bad.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

The way I view is that he's a great mid-game back up. Teams have zero answer for him and the team seems to rally around him. As a starter?? That Philly game was cool but the DET game in Week 17 2010 was pretty bad.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

NextQuestion wrote:The way I view is that he's a great mid-game back up. Teams have zero answer for him and the team seems to rally around him. As a starter?? That Philly game was cool but the DET game in Week 17 2010 was pretty bad.

Hell, put him in for a drive when the offense needs a spark.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Hell, put him in for a drive when the offense needs a spark.
They might actually do that. I know they still plan to have specialized packages for him. Hopefully, they'll work a little better this year. I think the mistake the made with the "blazer" packages last year was running from them too often. Webb's a talented open field runner but his best runs come on passing plays when the back end of the defense has been drawn downfield. If they show more of a passing threat when they bring him into the game, he'll be a more effective runner. Otherwise, teams are going to see him and commit to stopping the run.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Right now, other then PH, we have no return man. Webb should do this. I just hope they dont keep him around to run the wildcat.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Goes to show how far Ponder is. Jets and Eagles boned themselves throwing off their rhythm bringing in a different QB and running a different offense. Now we're going to do it? Isn't that going to stunt Messiah Ponder's development? :twisted:
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Personally I'm willing to give Webb more time. The guy was a project coming out of college and spent half of his career practicing at a different position.

Webb has too much upside and is too cheap to let him get away. He might never translate into a good NFL QB but it's too early to declare he won't be in my opinion.