What does Frazier need to do

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

What does Frazier have to do to be Vikings HC in 2013

I've already made up my mind, he's not a real HC, get him out of here
21%
Playoffs/Superbowl
3%
Better then 6-10
15%
Record doesn't matter, team needs to improve/play better down stretch
54%
All coaches deserve getting 3 years to prove themselves, keep him a 3rd year
8%

Total votes: 39

mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

What does Frazier need to do

Post by mefford76 »

I'm always interested to see what people think on this topic, weather it's a # of wins or if people have made up their minds etc... vote!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: What does Frazier need to do

Post by Mothman »

I went with "Record doesn't matter, team needs to improve/play better down stretch" although they could improve and still struggle down the stretch considering some of the opponents they'll be facing late in the season. Their last 5 games are:

@GB
Chicago
@St. Louis
@Houston
GB

That's 3 games on the road, 3 against division opponents, 3 against two of the better teams in the NFL last season (Houston and GB)...

I think what Frazier needs to do to keep his job is do a good job. :) In other words, he needs to field a team that's well-prepared, make good adjustments and decisions during games, avoid blowout losses, manage his personnel well, etc. I never like putting a win total on these things because injuries and other factors can really impact wins and losses, especially on a team lacking great depth.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

None of the above. Frazier will be back no matter what. The Vikings could go 1-15 and the Wilfs will stand behind him.
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man »

Eli wrote:None of the above. Frazier will be back no matter what. The Vikings could go 1-15 and the Wilfs will stand behind him.
I tend to agree , for better or worse Frasier will be the Vikings coach until his contract expires .
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock:
mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

Lash Man wrote: I tend to agree , for better or worse Frasier will be the Vikings coach until his contract expires .
I thought frazier's third year was an option? Not guaranteed.
mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

Mothman wrote: I think what Frazier needs to do to keep his job is do a good job. :) In other words, he needs to field a team that's well-prepared, make good adjustments and decisions during games, avoid blowout losses, manage his personnel well, etc. I never like putting a win total on these things because injuries and other factors can really impact wins and losses, especially on a team lacking great depth.
I tend to think this, but I'm being a bit tougher on him then I usually am on coaches. This is probably because I am suspect of his coaching ability. 7-9 is the way for him to get me to think he deserves to be here in 2013
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

mefford76 wrote:I thought frazier's third year was an option? Not guaranteed.

As did I. Does anyone know more about Frazier's contract?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mefford76 wrote:I tend to think this, but I'm being a bit tougher on him then I usually am on coaches. This is probably because I am suspect of his coaching ability. 7-9 is the way for him to get me to think he deserves to be here in 2013
That would be a pretty big jump but it would certainly make a convincing case for keeping Frazier.
losperros wrote: As did I. Does anyone know more about Frazier's contract?
I think it's a 3 year deal but maybe the third year is an option. If I remember correctly, his contract wasn't so big that they couldn't eat the third year if they really felt he needed to be fired. He inherited such a mess that I'd like to see him get 3 years to show what he can do.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:I think it's a 3 year deal but maybe the third year is an option. If I remember correctly, his contract wasn't so big that they couldn't eat the third year if they really felt he needed to be fired. He inherited such a mess that I'd like to see him get 3 years to show what he can do.

Thanks for the info. For whatever reason, I've been assuming that the third year is an option. I have no idea where I got that idea from. If anyone has more info on it, please do post it.

As for Frazier finishing out three years, I voted "record doesn't matter" as long as the team shows progress. I don't expect them to be world beaters this year, but I want to see improvement. No improvement would mean a new head coach.

I very much agree that Frazier inherited a mess. In my view, the Childress virus infected nearly the entire team. There's a lot of rebuilding to do. And I don't want to see the Chili stuff carried over at all. I don't know this for certain but I think Rick Spielman feels the same way, which is why he's trying an infusion of young blood in the roster. As a Vikings fan, I really want Spielman's efforts to pay off.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Mothman wrote:He inherited such a mess that I'd like to see him get 3 years to show what he can do.
But don't almost all new head coaches inherit a mess? Isn't that how they got the job in the first place, because the previous guy screwed it all up? Frazier shouldn't receive special treatment for being in a situation that seems fairly common for those in his position. It's sink or swim, and there's plenty of other candidates out there who are hungry to land one of those coveted 32 jobs.

If the team still had the "Triangle of Authority" configuration I would say it's a sure thing Frazier gets a third year, but now that Spielman is running the show I'm not so sure. He acted like a company man this year and stayed put with Frazier, but I don't think he'll stick with him if the team has another sub .500 season. Self-preservation is man's greatest instinct and Spielman's future with this team is tied to the performance of Ponder, not Frazier. He'll dump Frazier and bring in his own HC & staff if Ponder and the team struggles.
mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

HornedMessiah wrote:If the team still had the "Triangle of Authority" configuration I would say it's a sure thing Frazier gets a third year, but now that Spielman is running the show I'm not so sure.
That's a really interesting point. I wonder how much authority Rick has in this instance. Could Rick, not Wilf be making the call?

Does bringing in a new HC help or hurt Rick's chances of succeeding in the long term? It could be really telling if Frazier is kept a third year because we for once have a real GM.
mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

By the way, I am pretty impressed with people's responses on this board to this question. 11 out of 17 are giving Frazier quiet a fair chance at this year. I wonder if the more negative people post more often or if it's because we're not in the middle of a really bad year that the votes are coming in like this.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

mefford76 wrote: That's a really interesting point. I wonder how much authority Rick has in this instance. Could Rick, not Wilf be making the call?
I'm betting that Spielman does not have that authority. In fact, I'd bet quite a lot on it. I'm sure that he may have some input into Frazier's fate, but I guarantee that it's not his call.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if the selection of the _next_ head coach is given to him, and the Wilfs distance themselves from such decisions in the future.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

I chose "record doesn't matter", but only cause I'd be fine with 6 wins vs over 6. Record does matter. I won't be happy with another 3 win season. I'd say get rid of him if he had another one. I'm not expecting playoffs, but I'd be satisfied with 6 wins. Depending how they got them and how they looked overall, I'd be ok with a 3rd year if he got 5. 4 is probably too low to be satisfied though.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

This year I am looking to how the team plays in adversity ,and tough moments. I want to see the team develop the
younger talent and both lines become consistent. If the team can't finish games like last year and does not improve in
the basics of the game, I don't want to see the coaches stay.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!