Cuts thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Cuts thread

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Which is why they should have kept Sage, even being older. Webb is in a bad place. The only way he does something good, is come into a game, when they team isnt expecting him. They figure him out FAST. Its such a waste I just dont understand it. Think about it, they let Todman go who has shown promise, and kept Webb, again.
Pretty sure Webb has shown them a lot more at this point. Todman couldn't stay healthy, which ultimately cost him.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote: I pretty much agree. While I love Webb's overall athleticism, he's sort of a college QB playing in the pro league.

I guess I just don't understand the QB package on the team. Ponder is a real question mark, Webb is an athlete first and foremost, and MBT is unpolished. They're all young, but is this the QB depth this team needs, even if it's rebuilding?
I guess the flip side is that a career backup in his mid-30s isn't necessarily what a team needs either. For better or worse, they're clearly committed to their youth movement, even at QB.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Only real shockers are Frampton and Rosenfels.

I guess you can call Carr a shocker but I seen that coming. I am absolutely stunned that they kept Zack Bowman, he looked awful all Pre-Season.

I wish they'd kept Todman. I hope he clears waivers and is signed to the PS.
I hope so too. He seems worth keeping around and continuing to develop.
I expect them to be active in waivers though, so this aint necessarily the set team yet.
I agree. The "bubble" players probably shouldn't get too comfortable.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:I guess the flip side is that a career backup in his mid-30s isn't necessarily what a team needs either. For better or worse, they're clearly committed to their youth movement, even at QB.

I know what you're saying, Jim, and that's probably how the Vikings are looking at it. But wasn't Sage supposedly a veteran influence to help mentor Ponder? Does cutting him help Ponder's progress or possibly impede it a bit? I could be looking at this all wrong but I feel there is a world of difference in QB expertise between Sage and Webb (or MBT or even Ponder).

One last thought. If Ponder gets injured, is this the QB depth the team needs to fill in for him? Sage was no world beater but at least he was an experienced QB.

Admittedly, maybe I'm going too worst case scenario with all this but I just don't understand cutting a veteran like Rosenfels at this point.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote:Todman couldn't stay healthy, which ultimately cost him.
When you say that Todman "couldn't stay healthy," how many injuries did he have? I thought he just had the ankle injury. He was obviously fully recovered by the last game.

Was he hurt a lot in college, too? If so, I wasn't aware of that.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:I know what you're saying, Jim, and that's probably how the Vikings are looking at it. But wasn't Sage supposedly a veteran influence to help mentor Ponder? Does cutting him help Ponder's progress or possibly impede it a bit? I could be looking at this all wrong but I feel there is a world of difference in QB expertise between Sage and Webb (or MBT or even Ponder).
I think he was supposed to be a veteran influence but with a QB coach and a former QB as the offensive coordinator, I question how essential an influence Rosenfels really is to Ponder's development.
One last thought. If Ponder gets injured, is this the QB depth the team needs to fill in for him? Sage was no world beater but at least he was an experienced QB.
Hopefully, we won't have to find out.
losperros wrote: When you say that Todman "couldn't stay healthy," how many injuries did he have? I thought he just had the ankle injury. He was obviously fully recovered by the last game.

Was he hurt a lot in college, too? If so, I wasn't aware of that.
Actually, Asiata's injury history gives me more pause than Todman's. Todman just had an unfortunately timed injury this summer that limited his opportunities to compete.

In the end, as Tom Pelissero said, I think the Vikings probably just wanted a back who could play all three downs to back up Gerhart while Peterson continues working his way back from injury. I'm guessing they see Todman as more of a change-of-pace home run hitter but we all know that has value and I'll be surprised if the Vikes don't try to sign him to their practice squad.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: I think he was supposed to be a veteran influence but with a QB coach and a former QB as the offensive coordinator, I question how essential an influence Rosenfels really is to Ponder's development.
Good point. They're probably much more valuable to Ponder's education than Sage would be.

Thing is, I want Ponder to succeed for his sake but especially for the team's sake.

One of the symptoms of the Childress withdrawal process is being paranoid about the QB position. :D
Mothman wrote:Actually, Asiata's injury history gives me more pause than Todman's. Todman just had an unfortunately timed injury this summer that limited his opportunities to compete.

In the end, as Tom Pelissero said, I think the Vikings probably just wanted a back who could play all three downs to back up Gerhart while Peterson continues working his way back from injury. I'm guessing they see Todman as more of a change-of-pace home run hitter but we all know that has value and I'll be surprised if the Vikes don't try to sign him to their practice squad.
I hope they sign Todman to the PS, too. I wish both Asiata and Todman could have been kept, even if the Vikings would have dropped Felton and inserted Asiata into the FB slot. But maybe that's not practical either.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:Good point. They're probably much more valuable to Ponder's education than Sage would be.

Thing is, I want Ponder to succeed for his sake but especially for the team's sake.

One of the symptoms of the Childress withdrawal process is being paranoid about the QB position. :D
LOL! It seems Chili left all of us Vikes fans scarred.

I want Ponder to succeed too, for the team's sake and his sake. The team obviously needs good, long term solution at QB and since Ponder was drafted for that purpose and is already in his second season, the best case scenario is for him to prove he is that long term solution.
I hope they sign Todman to the PS, too. I wish both Asiata and Todman could have been kept, even if the Vikings would have dropped Felton and inserted Asiata into the FB slot. But maybe that's not practical either.
I've been wondering about that myself. I sure hope they intend to make good use of a FB if they feel it's that important to keep one on the roster.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Manny Arceneaux turns down Vikings PS offer, signs with Redskins.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Can't find any news about Guyton being claimed, so I guess he's going home. No PS?
Trevor Guyton ‏@TrevG92
At the airport on my way to my next opportunity. Much love & thanks to the Vikings and all the fans who sent
Trevor Guyton ‏@TrevG92
I'll never know where i'll end up or what the future holds, but i'll always know where home is. Go Bears!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

NFL source said the Packers didn't sign WR Tori Gurley to their practice squad.
Good thing you turned down that roster spot with the Vikings :roll:
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: He signed to the Vikes PS. I made a thread about it. :lol:
Yeah just saw that. Funny how unemployment changes your perspective.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Vikes cut Bowman to make room for Jefferson and Pat Brown to make room for Mark Asper an OL they claimed off waivers from BUF.
Brown and Bowman. No surprises there. Next to go, Stephen Burton.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Has Singletary been "cut" yet? The dude is a complete brick head. Great player in his prime, awful coach. As a coach, he is not respected by his players. Leslie has him on the Super Best Friends scholarship.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings cut Sage

Post by yezzir »

Good. Get the for sure mediocre players at best out of here. The fans are sick of hearing old names.