Cuts thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Cuts thread

Post by TeamChaplain »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Why cut Sage and keep Webb? Insanity. Are they really going to try and make a QB out of him?
:confused:
From the Fjords of ValHalla
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Vikes cut Bowman to make room for Jefferson and Pat Brown to make room for Mark Asper an OL they claimed off waivers from BUF.
Solid write up of this in the Strib: http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 83706.html

Anyone know anything about Jefferson?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Texas Vike wrote:Anyone know anything about Jefferson?
Jefferson has freak athleticism with 4.49 speed and a ridiculous 44" vertical at 6'0/193 from the 2010 Combine.
-Rotoworld

(he was also benched after giving up 145 yards and 3 pass interference calls against Anquan Boldin last season)

Young kid with upside. Best spot is outside. More potential at this point than Carr and Bowman. Fits the Spielman youth/upside/potential mold.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@TomPelissero: Spielman says scouting staff spent 38 consecutive hours in the office to get through cuts and the first waivers wave. #Vikings
@TomPelissero: Spielman says all 4 QBs played well. "Sage is a very good quarterback and has some value and you never know what happens down the road here"
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

If Sage is on the roster on day 1, they guarantee his whole salary at whatever the (12 year?) veteran minimum is. If they cut him, get through the first game, and re-sign him later, they pay him game by game.

I suspect that, with our luck with QB injuries, he'll be back soon enough.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

John_Viveiros wrote:I suspect that, with our luck with QB injuries, he'll be back soon enough.
I suspect that, if it actually becomes necessary, he'll be available. The Vikings may be figuring that, too.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Spielman says all 4 QBs played well.
You're not supposed to drink your own kool aid! Silly Spielman.
Sage 122
Ponder 86
Webb 65
MBT 58

Only one QB played "well" this preseason. And he got cut. Even ignoring QB rating they didn't look like they played "well".
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

I would have kept Webb and MBT as well. Sage looked terrible against Houston. Why pay an old, slow, never was all that good QB to hold a clipboard? We're not going to the playoffs, let's go with the young talent.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

soflavike wrote:I would have kept Webb and MBT as well. Sage looked terrible against Houston. Why pay an old, slow, never was all that good QB to hold a clipboard? We're not going to the playoffs, let's go with the young talent.
Thank you summarized my whole thinking. Whats every ones LOVE INFATUATION with Sage? Hes 36 taking up Money and you really think the back up quarterback matters at this point considering we wont be making it to playoffs?
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Mercy Percy wrote: Thank you summarized my whole thinking. Whats every ones LOVE INFATUATION with Sage? Hes 36 taking up Money and you really think the back up quarterback matters at this point considering we wont be making it to playoffs?
We still have to watch the product. And sorry watching Webb pretend to be a QB again isn't something I'm looking forward too. Considering we've had Webb, TJoke, Ponder...if (or when?) Ponder does go down, it'd be nice to have someone who has the ability to read a defense and make a catchable accurate throw. But I guess I'll have to wait for Matt Barkley, or some college junior to get to see that...

And if you don't think backup QB matters, why does it matter to you anyway? :lol:

Sure it doesn't matter, but I'd rather have two incompetent scrubs, and at least one competent scrub, over three incompetent scrubs.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Demi wrote: We still have to watch the product. And sorry watching Webb pretend to be a QB again isn't something I'm looking forward too.
Wow. I could not possibly disagree more. Rewatch the Detroit game, or the Philly game a year before. I can't take my eyes off the screen.

Sure. Sometimes it's like watching a forest fire... Terrible and awe inspiring at the same time.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

John_Viveiros wrote: Wow. I could not possibly disagree more. Rewatch the Detroit game, or the Philly game a year before. I can't take my eyes off the screen.

Sure. Sometimes it's like watching a forest fire... Terrible and awe inspiring at the same time.
childress had his pet project TJoke now frazier has his in joe webb. :wake
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

hibbingviking wrote: childress had his pet project TJoke now frazier has his in joe webb. :wake
There's a slight difference, though: Jackson was always being "groomed" to be the starter someday. Webb will be a back-up behind Ponder (assuming Ponder "pans out) whereas everyone knew that Favre/Rosenfels etc. were never going to be the "long-term" answer for us at QB, and so Jackson might potentially be the QB of the future. (Maybe he will be in Buffalo now :lol: )
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: Not even close to the same thing or a good comparison.

Childress traded up for and groomed T-Jack to be his starter and still deemed him QBotF even after benching him for Gus Frerotte and signing Favre...twice. And the Vikings don't have any intention of Webb every being the starting QB, barring injuries.

Webb was kept at QB BY CHILLY so he could jettison Rosenfels.

The only reason Webb is still a QB at the moment is because he doesn't have good hands and isn't a crisp route runner. And the Vikes have nowhere to put him, but he's too talented an athlete to cut.

He's a good out of the bullpen QB, so to speak, but when teams have time to prepare for him he blows.

I'm not crying over the loss of Rosenfels he's old and mediocre. Most likely MBT will become nothing, but there's at some hope he can develop into a decent backup. You know what you have in Sage.

And for the Ponder haters/detractors/non-believers you should be happy our backups are so bad because if Ponder gets hurt or benched we'll win even less games than we're projected to now and be right in the Barkley sweepstakes.
they should have brought someone in that could have seriously competed with ponder and pushed him. i have seen good moments from ponder at times but not great moments. i think they are just wasting time with joe webb as a qb.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Childress traded up for and groomed T-Jack to be his starter and still deemed him QBotF even after benching him for Gus Frerotte and signing Favre...twice. And the Vikings don't have any intention of Webb every being the starting QB, barring injuries.

Webb was kept at QB BY CHILLY so he could jettison Rosenfels.

The only reason Webb is still a QB at the moment is because he doesn't have good hands and isn't a crisp route runner. And the Vikes have nowhere to put him, but he's too talented an athlete to cut.

He's a good out of the bullpen QB, so to speak, but when teams have time to prepare for him he blows.

I'm not crying over the loss of Rosenfels he's old and mediocre. Most likely MBT will become nothing, but there's at some hope he can develop into a decent backup. You know what you have in Sage.

And for the Ponder haters/detractors/non-believers you should be happy our backups are so bad because if Ponder gets hurt or benched we'll win even less games than we're projected to now and be right in the Barkley sweepstakes.
I think that's a good assessment of the situation regarding both T-Jack and Webb.

One thing I'll add about Jackson that I find astonishing. When Jackson was a college QB for Alabama State, he was not considered an accurate passer. Jackson had a completion average of around 52 percent for his college career. He was a big play guy with a strong arm and good legs. What does Childress do? He tries to force-feed TJ into a WCO hybrid that calls for a heady QB who throws precise passes. In no way am I making any excuses for TJ but he was basically dead before the boat ever sank.

I think the Vikings are at least cognizant of what they have in Webb. Or at least I hope they are. I don't think they feel Webb can be the next Johnny Unitis, but that he might end up as a serviceable backup QB. Maybe I'm wrong. It just seems as if that's the direction they're going with Webb.