Knee has left Carlson in a tough spot

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Knee has left Carlson in a tough spot

Post by dead_poet »

Not the most encouraging story heading into the season. Especially after the $$ commitment. Hopefully he's able to come back at 100% and be a major contributor soon.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Peli ... spot082312
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
losperros
Commissioner

Re: Knee has left Carlson in a tough spot

Post by losperros »

I agree that the article is discouraging. This is especially true when one thinks of the possibilities of a healthy Carlson playing at the same time with Kyle Rudolph. The Vikings WR corps isn't going to cut it by itself and could use assistance, making the need for both TEs to be helping the passing game evident.

Even if Carlson can come back fully healthy soon, I wonder how long it will take him to get up to speed. Sure could use him during the first three games with Jerome Simpson is out.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Another guy with injury issues they rolled the dice on, and got bit in the butt. Throw in the investment, and the fact he wasn't that good to begin with. At least we have a couple young guys who've showed some promise.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The situation is less than ideal, but at this point what can they do about it? At least the guy seems to have a solid attitude. Hopefully the fact that he has time in the league will help him through knocking the rust off once he gets back on the field. About all we can hope for at this point. The good news is our early season schedule is faily soft so he'll have time to get back into game shape.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mansquatch wrote:The situation is less than ideal, but at this point what can they do about it? At least the guy seems to have a solid attitude. Hopefully the fact that he has time in the league will help him through knocking the rust off once he gets back on the field. About all we can hope for at this point. The good news is our early season schedule is faily soft so he'll have time to get back into game shape.
I agree. If he can get to 100% by week 4 (or earlier) that would be a huge help. Having him and Simpson back should surly help a passing game that might struggle initially with only a couple of competent receiving threats.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote:Another guy with injury issues they rolled the dice on, and got bit in the butt. Throw in the investment, and the fact he wasn't that good to begin with. At least we have a couple young guys who've showed some promise.
It's not as if he's actually missed a meaningful game so that dice roll hasn't failed yet. Hopefully, once he gets healthy he'll stay healthy. Carlson's a good player. If they can pair him with Rudolph in 2 TE sets with Harvin and Simpson on the outside, it could give the Vikes a chance to do some real damage in the passing game.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

dead_poet wrote: I agree. If he can get to 100% by week 4 (or earlier) that would be a huge help. Having him and Simpson back should surly help a passing game that might struggle initially with only a couple of competent receiving threats.
I agree with your assessment 100%. Simpson is looking like a very solid FA aquisition so far, but one has to wonder what they are going to look like without him. Harvin will still be there, but I think defenses are going to make stopping him a key game planning focus. The first 3 games represent a huge opportunity for Rudolph and Gerhart to show they are legit NFL playmakers. Hopefully they will rise to the occaision.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Trust me when I say that we have someone who is potentially better than Carlson on the roster right now. Who is it? Allen Reisner. I have watched him throughout his Hawkeye career and followed him extensively since we signed him last year. He looked very good last year during training camp, and looked solid this year at training camp when I went. Reisner needs to make this roster because he can be a threat for us.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Trust me when I say that we have someone who is potentially better than Carlson on the roster right now. Who is it? Allen Reisner. I have watched him throughout his Hawkeye career and followed him extensively since we signed him last year. He looked very good last year during training camp, and looked solid this year at training camp when I went. Reisner needs to make this roster because he can be a threat for us.
I'm an Iowa fan too, brother. Carlson (6'5) has a couple (3) inches on our boy Reisner and is a more polished receiver. I think he can beat out Schuler, but it's really going to be hard for him to make the 53 when you have Rudolph, Carlson and Ellison (also 6'5) locks to make the roster. I'll agree that Reisner seems to always catch what's thrown his way. I haven't watched him closely to see about his route-running, speed (4.97 40 isn't great) and blocking ability (though he's probably not worse on the latter than Carlson). He just lacks explosiveness but has a great motor and attitude. Perhaps with Carlson's injury they'll keep 4 TEs with Ellison being pretty versatile (he played some FB and slot for USC). Actually, I see a lot of similarities between Reisner and Ellison, though Ellison may have more upside, particularly as a blocker.

I'll be really disappointed if he's cut though. I hope he takes advantage of his opportunities tonight and in the final preseason game.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Trust me when I say that we have someone who is potentially better than Carlson on the roster right now. Who is it? Allen Reisner. I have watched him throughout his Hawkeye career and followed him extensively since we signed him last year. He looked very good last year during training camp, and looked solid this year at training camp when I went. Reisner needs to make this roster because he can be a threat for us.

Well, this is his chance to prove it. :) He's looked good in the two preseason games so far. I think he has a shot to make the team but it may come down to how many TEs they want to keep and who has the best overall skill set. I think Ellison's probably going to make the 53 man roster so that probably means Reisner is battling Shuler for a spot.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:Carlson's a good player. If they can pair him with Rudolph in 2 TE sets with Harvin and Simpson on the outside, it could give the Vikes a chance to do some real damage in the passing game.
That's exactly what I'm hoping for. *IF* Carlson can get healthy and stay that way, it seems the Vikings could orchestrate some mismatches on the field with their 2 TE sets. It also could have opposing Ds guessing about whether the Vikes are going to run or throw. Of course, it also will help *IF* Adrian Peterson is one hundred percent back in form.

Yessir, don't you love injuries? :evil:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote: That's exactly what I'm hoping for. *IF* Carlson can get healthy and stay that way, it seems the Vikings could orchestrate some mismatches on the field with their 2 TE sets. It also could have opposing Ds guessing about whether the Vikes are going to run or throw. Of course, it also will help *IF* Adrian Peterson is one hundred percent back in form.

Yessir, don't you love injuries? :evil:

Ugh. They're easily the worst aspect of football.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote:
Ugh. They're easily the worst aspect of football.
Actually, the Packers are the worst aspect of football :)

I do agree, injuries can literally make or break your season.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Actually, the Packers are the worst aspect of football :)
:point:
PurpleMustReign wrote:I do agree, injuries can literally make or break your season.
And careers, too. I hate that the most of all. It's horrible seeing a player get badly injured and never be the same again, especially a good player. Daunte Culpepper comes to mind.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote: Ugh. They're easily the worst aspect of football.
Unless you're Greg Williams and the Saints defense...

As far as John Carlson goes, didn't understand the signing at the time for the money they paid him, and understand it even less now. I know Musgrave wants his 2-TE sets and wants legit receiving targets for Ponder, but Carlson didn't come cheap and should have given some pause because of his injury history.

I have a feeling by the end of this season we'll be talking about Rudolph and one of the other TE's, maybe even Ellison.