Knee has left Carlson in a tough spot

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Knee has left Carlson in a tough spot

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote: Unless you're Greg Williams and the Saints defense...

As far as John Carlson goes, didn't understand the signing at the time for the money they paid him, and understand it even less now. I know Musgrave wants his 2-TE sets and wants legit receiving targets for Ponder, but Carlson didn't come cheap and should have given some pause because of his injury history.

I have a feeling by the end of this season we'll be talking about Rudolph and one of the other TE's, maybe even Ellison.
That's possible but we could just as easily be talking about Carlson. Let's see how it plays out and hope for the best. Sometimes a player just goes through an unfortunate streak of injuries and then is fine for an extended period of time (think Robert Smith).

I don't think the Carlson signing is difficult to understand. He's an above average receiving TE, capable of catching 50+ passes and scoring 6 or 7 TDs a season, possibly more. He's still a young player and if you look at what TEs have been doing around the league the last few years, it shouldn't be difficult to see the appeal of a 2 TE set featuring talented receiving TEs like Rudolph and Carlson. That's a set that could create genuine matchup problems for defenses, something the Vikes offense needs to do much better.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

What did I say about Reisner? Granted 3 of his 4 catches came later in the game he was still productive and should make this team.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:What did I say about Reisner? Granted 3 of his 4 catches came later in the game he was still productive and should make this team.
I have a feeling that the Vikings will carry four tight ends, at least for the early part of the season, where John Carlson may be slow to come up to speed and they'll be missing Jerome Simpson. I expect a mostly short passing game, plus a lot of outlet passes. Allen Reisner should make the 53.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:What did I say about Reisner? Granted 3 of his 4 catches came later in the game he was still productive and should make this team.
I said it was his chance to prove himself and he did. I hope he makes the 53 man roster. :)