Opener vs. Jacksonville (sans Maurice Jones-Drew)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Opener vs. Jacksonville (sans Maurice Jones-Drew)

Post by Texas Vike »

It's looking more and more likely that the Vikings will get to play a less than full strength Jaguar team on Sept. 9th. MJD is holding out and things are only getting worse between him, his agent and the GM. With the way our run D has played this may be a real blessing!

We'll take any advantage we can get.
9man
Transition Player

Re: Opener vs. Jacksonville (sans Maurice Jones-Drew)

Post by 9man »

I remember a play a few years MJD lit up Merriman but MJD's backup isn't all that bad. Vikes win this game either way.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

This game worries me as people tend to think this is a guaranteed win. I get the feeling that we're going to struggle covering Blackmon and Robinson. Lewis isn't a bad TE either. I see it being close but I think we can MAYBE sneak a messy win out of this. If MJD is in... I think we're in trouble big time.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

NextQuestion wrote:This game worries me as people tend to think this is a guaranteed win. I get the feeling that we're going to struggle covering Blackmon and Robinson. Lewis isn't a bad TE either. I see it being close but I think we can MAYBE sneak a messy win out of this. If MJD is in... I think we're in trouble big time.
I don't think they'd be in big trouble but he would certainly make the game more difficult for the Vikes. On the other hand, I don't consider this an easy win either. The Vikes were 3-13 last year. NO game should be considered an easy win until they prove they can dominate opponents again. Jacksonville had a stout defense last year so I doubt they'll be a pushover, with or without MJD.

I think it will be a great game between two highly motivated teams. Both teams will be eager to set a bad 2011 season behind them by starting the 2012 season off right.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Not a guaranteed win by any stretch, but very much a "should" win. Jacksonville is one of the poorer teams in the NFL and the Vikings are playing at home. If the Vikings don't win this game, even if they're without both Simpson and Peterson, it could be a very bad indicator of the season to come. On the other hand, if they can win convincingly, they'll be taking some much needed confidence into Indianapolis the following week. So, it's kind of a big deal.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

from a fan perspective, and this board in particular, this game is a lose-lose. we win and who cares, we should beat a team like the jags. they're terrible. this win means nothing because we SHOULD beat the jags at home. and if we lose.....well...i don't think i need to bother suggesting the tone of this board. :lol:
i'm ready for a beer.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote:Not a guaranteed win by any stretch, but very much a "should" win. Jacksonville is one of the poorer teams in the NFL and the Vikings are playing at home. If the Vikings don't win this game, even if they're without both Simpson and Peterson, it could be a very bad indicator of the season to come. On the other hand, if they can win convincingly, they'll be taking some much needed confidence into Indianapolis the following week. So, it's kind of a big deal.
It's definitely a big deal. It could set the tone for the season.
vikeinmontana wrote:from a fan perspective, and this board in particular, this game is a lose-lose. we win and who cares, we should beat a team like the jags. they're terrible. this win means nothing because we SHOULD beat the jags at home. and if we lose.....well...i don't think i need to bother suggesting the tone of this board. :lol:
It won't be a universal tone. You just have to look for the measured and reasonable posts and ignore the over-the-top stuff. :)

I'm definitely not taking a casual, "who cares" view of the game. I think an opening day win would be big for the Vikes.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I don't know if you can classify anything as a sure thing in the NFL. That being said, I think we could be considered favorites to win the game. Should we lose, I honestly do not think I will care too much. Losing sucks yes, but hell, I have learned to become numb to losing so I can easily move on if Minnesota loses. I just love watching my team play regardless of the outcome.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Mothman wrote:The Vikes were 3-13 last year. NO game should be considered an easy win until they prove they can dominate opponents again.
This ^^^^
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

We're playing a team as bad as we are. Seems like a coin flip game...
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

that will be good for Jarad Allen he should be able to go nuts on the youngster QB with Drew to worry about
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

jackal wrote:that will be good for Jarad Allen he should be able to go nuts on the youngster QB with Drew to worry about

Good point.

Just saw that AD's not likely to play in this game either. That hurts, but I think Toby can carry the load.

This game matters a lot, for momentum purposes alone and to get guys on the team believing. Confidence is crucial and contagious.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Just saw that AD's not likely to play in this game either.
Their defense should be able to go nuts on our youngster QB without AD to worry about. :lol:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote: Their defense should be able to go nuts on our youngster QB without AD to worry about. :lol:
Why is that funny?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Just saw that AD's not likely to play in this game either. That hurts, but I think Toby can carry the load.

I think so too but where did you see that about AD? I know Sid Hartman is speculating that he won't play in the opener but is there some info beyond that?

I'm guessing even if Peterson plays, he'll be used sparingly and strategically and Gerhart will be asked handle the majority of the workload.