Offensive line says it has Christian Ponder's back

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Offensive line says it has Christian Ponder's back

Post by Mothman »

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_21 ... ays-it-has
Second-year quarterback Christian Ponder should get every chance to maximize his potential this season. An improving offensive line plans to make sure of it.

With fewer moving parts than a year ago and an infusion of youthful talent, the Vikings' line is looking to establishing an attitude, a physical identity that will hold up for 16 games.

"Assert our will. That's something (offensive line coach Jeff Davidson) believes in," left guard Charlie Johnson said. "You keep doing it over and over and over, hopefully you can make a defense break. That's kind of what we're doing."

Among the Vikings' most depleted positions from last season, the line appears poised for the biggest breakout, at least on paper.
I'm not sure I buy that but hopefully PP writer Jeremy Fowler is right and the OL will have a breakout year. That would be great news for the Vikes.
S197
Fenrir

Re: Offensive line says it has Christian Ponder's back

Post by S197 »

Reminds me of when Herrera came out early all offended about the O-line criticism and how they were going to show everyone. Prove it on the field, not to the microphones.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

yeah...I'll wait til I see it too. They are the lynchpin for the whole season on offense.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Couldn't be worse than last season. It just can't. The offensive line last year was a complete disaster with the exception of Sullivan, some good performances by Loadholt, and a natural guard playing at LT all year (Johnson actually did pretty well all things considered). Hutch was a shadow of his former self and Herrera was awful.

Even if the offensive line is just marginally better it will make a huge difference.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

VikingLord wrote:Couldn't be worse than last season. It just can't. The offensive line last year was a complete disaster with the exception of Sullivan, some good performances by Loadholt, and a natural guard playing at LT all year (Johnson actually did pretty well all things considered). Hutch was a shadow of his former self and Herrera was awful.

Even if the offensive line is just marginally better it will make a huge difference.
I was also going to suggest it couldn't be worse...but Murphy's law and all that. Now we can blame you if it goes in the tank :wink:
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Mothman wrote:http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_21 ... ays-it-has
I'm not sure I buy that but hopefully PP writer Jeremy Fowler is right and the OL will have a breakout year. That would be great news for the Vikes.
Honestly, I believe that the offensive line will be one of our strongest groups on the team. So far Kalil has been as advertised. Charlie Johnson looks much better at LG than he did at LT. Sullivan plays with confidence now and has stood up as leader on the team. If Loadholt can play ok and Fusco can live up to his potential I say this line can be a top 15 OL in the NFL.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
VikeMike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikeMike »

I think we'll have a good indication by the half way point of the season. I don't expect to see this line blowing away opponents out of the gate. Just as QBs and receivers need time to get timing down, so do offensive linemen. It's good that the linemen themselves are feeling like they are gelling, but two preseason games and training camp is a little early to know. It makes sense on paper that they will improve but the proof is in the fourth quarter when they (hopefully) are running the ball and running the clock.

As all things Vikings, I am hopeful.
"Meet at the quarterback"
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I agree there will be hiccups, people need to remember that Kalil is still a rookie and will be subject to those kinds of mistakes. However, I like the talk coming out of this group. They are starting to develop a bit of swagger and that is a good thing. Hopefully they can walk the walk and start knocking some people off the ball. You have to think that AP is just dying to get back in the fold and run behind what is likely the single best OL he has had in his career.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:I agree there will be hiccups, people need to remember that Kalil is still a rookie and will be subject to those kinds of mistakes. However, I like the talk coming out of this group. They are starting to develop a bit of swagger and that is a good thing. Hopefully they can walk the walk and start knocking some people off the ball. You have to think that AP is just dying to get back in the fold and run behind what is likely the single best OL he has had in his career.
It might be a little premature to refer to the line that way but it has potential. Don't forget, AD gained over 1700 yards rushing in 2008 behind a line that included Hutchinson (in his prime) and Birk.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Mothman wrote: It might be a little premature to refer to the line that way but it has potential. Don't forget, AD gained over 1700 yards rushing in 2008 behind a line that included Hutchinson (in his prime) and Birk.
And don't forget while McKinnie was a saloon door in pass blocking, he could still maul guys when it came down to it. Hutch was pretty damn good himself in that department. I don't think anyone on this line is as good as a run blocker as either of them.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Demi wrote: And don't forget while McKinnie was a saloon door in pass blocking, he could still maul guys when it came down to it. Hutch was pretty damn good himself in that department. I don't think anyone on this line is as good as a run blocker as either of them.
Towards the end, I think Loadholt was probably on par (or better) than McKinnie in run-blocking.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly