London calling?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

London calling?

Post by HornedMessiah »

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_21 ... -candidate
According to two people with direct knowledge of the situation, the Vikings are the league's top candidate to play in Wembley Stadium in the next four years, and the team is negotiating with the University of Minnesota to relocate games from TCF Bank Stadium to London while the Metrodome is reconstructed.

The Vikings have not played abroad in 18 years. But they have emerged as the leading contender to replace the Rams, who abandoned plans to play in London in 2013 and '14 to focus on a stadium deal in St. Louis, and fulfill part of the NFL's commitment to the United Kingdom through 2016.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: London calling?

Post by Eli »

That would be a lovely way of saying "F*** You" to Minnesota fans.

I don't get it. What the hell are they thinking?
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Eli wrote:That would be a lovely way of saying "F*** You" to Minnesota fans.

I don't get it. What the hell are they thinking?
Probably thinking the stadium won't be done for about that long anyway. :lol:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I hope Wilf isn't this stupid...
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Makes sense actually ... The University of Minnesota .. hardly meets the needs and the league will pay us some
money to play there. The Vikings could use a few friends at league headquarters as well..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
UKViking
Backup

Post by UKViking »

For a Vikings fan like myself, who only lives about an hour and a half away from London, I'm excited for the possibility that I might actually be able to go and see the Vikings play.
TheIrishVikingsFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TheIrishVikingsFan »

I would be sooooo happy if this was the case haha :D but I can understand how fans in the states might not be in favor of that.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:For people who may have misinterpreted this. All this means is that they are playing ONE game per year in London while the stadium is being built and it will count as a home game. It's a few less games they'd have to play at TCF once they have to start building over the Dome.

They aint moving to London while the stadium is being built. :lol:
Exactly. At most 2 games in London, 1 in 2013 and 1 in 2014.

For the team, this makes plenty of sense, as it helps build the Vikings brand abroad and they're already going to be down a bunch of revenue at TCF anyway.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

LOL, so some people thought it meant the Vikings would play all their home games in London for the next few years? Haha!

I agree with glg, this makes sense. Better to do it now while the team is not very good and waiting for their new stadium to be built. Plus, I could see why UK people might have a natural attraction to the Vikings, what with the invasions and heritage and all.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

HornedMessiah wrote:LOL, so some people thought it meant the Vikings would play all their home games in London for the next few years? Haha!

I agree with glg, this makes sense. Better to do it now while the team is not very good and waiting for their new stadium to be built. Plus, I could see why UK people might have a natural attraction to the Vikings, what with the invasions and heritage and all.

Hey, I didn't read it carefully, lol...

Well then I wouldn't have a problem with it.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Xqed
Franchise Player

Post by Xqed »

Sounds like a good idea, especially while the new stadium is being built. Never hurts either to get more international exposure - we have Vikings fans around the world!
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Looks like the Jacksonville Jaguars will be the hosts of four games in London. Wonder how season ticket holders feel about losing a game each year.

I guess the Vikings are still one of the possible opponents, who have yet to be named. If they're all away games, then the Vikes would still have the same number of games at TCF.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Eli wrote:Looks like the Jacksonville Jaguars will be the hosts of four games in London. Wonder how season ticket holders feel about losing a game each year.

I guess the Vikings are still one of the possible opponents, who have yet to be named. If they're all away games, then the Vikes would still have the same number of games at TCF.
Why are they using one team for four years? I would think it would be more fair to rotate somehow.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Why are they using one team for four years? I would think it would be more fair to rotate somehow.
Jacksonville wants it. New owner wants to move the team, but they have a tough lease to break, requires a number of bad revenue years in a row. So, if he alienates the fanbase sufficiently, he can move the team to LA and make a ton of money on the deal.
TheIrishVikingsFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TheIrishVikingsFan »

I think idea behind keeping one team constantly appearing is to try and build a following for a certain team. I don't think that works though, I mean ive gone 3 of the years and the Vikes have never played. Most people just want to watch a NFL game live doesnt matter who plays tbh.

Although I would be jumping over the moon if the Vikings came and played.