Ponder's goal: 75 percent completion on 1st & 2nd down

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

losperros
Commissioner

Re: Ponder's goal: 75 percent completion on 1st & 2nd down

Post by losperros »

The 75 percent completion percentage on first and second downs is a cool notion and I hope the Vikings achieve that. BUT - and this is a biggie for me - I don't want them to achieve that with a conservative dink and dunk passing style. What can I say? Please no play-not-to-lose WCO hybrid this year.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm still rehabbing from the Childress era, but look what Favre throwing downfield did for Coach Clueless and the team. Well, anyway until Father Time and pass rushes slapped Favre down the next year.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:The 75 percent completion percentage on first and second downs is a cool notion and I hope the Vikings achieve that. BUT - and this is a biggie for me - I don't want them to achieve that with a conservative dink and dunk passing style. What can I say? Please no play-not-to-lose WCO hybrid this year.
You might find this encouraging:
Ponder completed three of his first four attempts on first and second down in Friday's 17-6 loss. They went for 72 yards and three first downs and helped the Vikings kick a pair of field goals. He said it's a tough balance trying to be efficient yet explosive on first and second down. His first pass on one of those downs on Friday was a 52-yard deep ball to Stephen Burton.

"You want to make big plays and sometimes you have to take risks," Ponder said. "But you don't want to take too big a risk. You have to be efficient with the ball. We still need to force the ball downfield. If you don't throw the ball downfield, you're not going to get the shorter routes open. You have to find a balance somehow."
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: You might find this encouraging:
Thanks, Jim. It's moments like these that help me with my rehab. :D
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:Thanks, Jim. It's moments like these that help me with my rehab. :D

LOL! You're welcome.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Saw this on an article about ponder expecting to make playoffs: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... line_stack
As for his completion percentage, Mark Craig of the Star Tribune reports Ponder wants to complete 75 percent of his pass attempts on first and second down, a mark that not even Drew Brees (71.1 percent, 71.2 percent), Aaron Rodgers (69.8 percent, 69.4 percent) or Tom Brady (68.3 percent, 67.3 percent) reached last season.
Seems like 75 percent might be setting the bar a bit too high. I think something like 65-70 would be a good goal.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:As unrealistic as those expectations are I don't have a problem with it really.

If I was a player my goal would be to go 16-0, if I was in the MLB I'd want to bat 1.000. Those are goals you don't expect to achieve but still you want(wish) to be perfect.

Now I, and anyone else, would certainly settle for 12-4 or a BA of .290 for example, but your goal is to win every game and get a hit every at bat.
I get what your saying, but if I set a goal to make more money in the next 5 years than now, I'd set a realistic goal. There's no point in me saying I plan to have an annual salary of $1 million in the next 5 years, when I know it's not going to happen.

If ponder came out and said he wants to have a 68% average on 1st/2nd down, I'd consider that at least semi-realistic. Coming out and saying 75 just seems like him blowing smoke.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Crax wrote: I get what your saying, but if I set a goal to make more money in the next 5 years than now, I'd set a realistic goal. There's no point in me saying I plan to have an annual salary of $1 million in the next 5 years, when I know it's not going to happen.

If ponder came out and said he wants to have a 68% average on 1st/2nd down, I'd consider that at least semi-realistic. Coming out and saying 75 just seems like him blowing smoke.
I agree, however I'm not a competitive football player so who knows! I guess in the end the number doesn't really matter, everyone knows he's not going to get 75% but it's the mentality taken on by setting the goal in the first place. In the end, no one is going to say "aww man you didn't get 75%" if he reaches 65+%, we'll be saying "hurray playoffs!" lol. Personally I'm expecting about 57%-60% but we'll see.

I think what REALLY matters though is your 3rd down completion %. That's the down you can't just take it easy!
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Does anyone keep stats on QB completion percentage by down? Seventy-five percent doesn't sound at all unreasonable, even for a second year quarterback. Average it out with going something like 30% on third down, and you're under 60% overall.

You have a lot more options on 1st and 2nd down that you don't have on 3rd down. You can call safe, high-percentage dink and dunk passes, which we can expect to see a lot of from the Vikings this season. You seldom have to pass on those downs, so you can just tuck it and run. You don't have to throw past the sticks, so you can dump off a short pass that would be mostly futile on 3rd down. And there's usually less pressure from a pass rush on those downs. Passing on 3rd down is an entirely different ballgame.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Eli wrote:Does anyone keep stats on QB completion percentage by down? Seventy-five percent doesn't sound at all unreasonable, even for a second year quarterback. A.
I just posted some earlier, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady were all under that with Brees just cracking 70. So not only is he going to beat those guys, I think he'd set an all time NFL record.
Ponder wants to complete 75 percent of his pass attempts on first and second down, a mark that not even Drew Brees (71.1 percent, 71.2 percent), Aaron Rodgers (69.8 percent, 69.4 percent) or Tom Brady (68.3 percent, 67.3 percent) reached last season.
Just as comparison, Ponder completed 50.9 percent of his attempts on first down and 56.8 percent on second down as a rookie. I'd be extra happy with jumps to 60 and 65.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

We want 75 percent completions on first and second downs," Ponder said today after the Vikings' last practice in Mankato this year. That's the number we're shooting for.
Is that to his own guys, or anyone on the field?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote: Is that to his own guys, or anyone on the field?
Ba-da-boom!
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

VikingLord wrote: Is that to his own guys, or anyone on the field?
:rofl: :govikes:
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

How about set the all time passing mark while you're setting these goals and making these statements. We'd like a ring too.
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

17/21 - 80.95% vs. Jaguars
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

Still think he doesn't move up in the pocket all that much. Maybe his pocket presence will get better. He looks like he is running a mike martz offense as deep as he gets.